Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jehovah's Witness - No time to talk!!

Jehovah's Witness - No time to talk!!

Thought I'd share this with you,

Was visited this morning, much to my delight. Before he could say anything I ran upstairs to get my copies of ''The God Delusion'', ''The Portable Atheist'' and ''The Ancestor's Tale''.

"I'll take one of your leaflets if you promise to read these" I said

"I've read that one and didn't think much of it" (I assumed he meant "the god delusion"!!)

So I decided to engage in a conversation about his 'belief', challenged him with a few questions and he replied with.....

"I'm sorry but we don't have time for this right now"

????????????????????????

This from the man who was on my doorstep knocking on my door. Brilliant!! (Must get this one on the Richard Dawkin's forum. I'm sure I will get a monumental round of applause.)

Lorna x-x

Re: Jehovah Witness - No time to talk!!

I had a couple of door knockers yesterday, trying to shove leaflets at me telling me that Easter was all about Jesus and why I should read about it.

I'm not exaggerating here when I say it takes every last bit of my will power not to spit in their faces (I tend not to answer at all in case the urge over comes me) How dare they assume..

1. I don't know that Easter isn't about chocolate.
    2. I give a toss.
    3. That, having just paid a £300 gas and electric bill that I want to stand at the door discussing it and letting all the heat escape from my toasty house.
    4. That I have nothing better to do on my precious days off from work than chat to them about Jesus.

On the odd occasion when I have tried to engage them and challenge their views by giving a different perspective, they are not interested, so why should I listen to them?

Put a leaflet through my letter box, by all means, so I can bin it like I do with the hundreds of pizza menu's that come through every week, but do not knock at my door.

Lorna...I love your post and will take this approach in future. I too have lots of literature I could shove in their faces. I like your style.
    Last edited by Double Trouble; 22nd-March-2008 at 12:51 PM.

They drives me crazy too. Had one pop around few weeks ago, I ignored the door, didnt answer it at all as i knew it was them somehow without even looking out my door peephole! Got leaflet and put it in the bin straightaway.

The thing that annoy me the most is they know i am deaf and living here so when i ever open the door, they start to sign straightaway without me having to say oh i am deaf.

One day i will tell them to go away in not a nice way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I had a couple of door knockers yesterday, trying to shove leaflets at me telling me that Easter was all about Jesus and why I should read about it.

I'm not exaggerating here when I say it takes every last bit of my will power not to spit in their faces (I tend not to answer at all in case the urge over comes me) How dare they assume..

1. I don't know that Easter isn't about chocolate.
    2. I give a toss.
    3. That, having just paid a £300 gas and electric bill that I want to stand at the door discussing it and letting all the heat escape from my toasty house.
    4. That I have nothing better to do on my precious days off from work than chat to them about Jesus.

On the odd occasion when I have tried to engage them and challenge their views by giving a different perspective, they are not interested, so why should I listen to them?

Put a leaflet through my letter box, by all means, so I can bin it like I do with the hundreds of pizza menu's that come through every week, but do not knock at my door.
    i hate the blooming Lidl leaflets that come through..why would i want to order a huge box of freddo's? I'm not that addicted to chocolate!

the paper boy in my year ben roe always shoves the advertiser in my letterbox when i have told him time and time again (and thrown it back in his face) that i don't want one! I know he now does it to be annoying...

three things you do when a jehova's witness comes to the door

1.DON'T answer it

2. CLOSE THE DOOR!

Can a moderator please edit the title please.

Put the apostrophe in.

Jehovah's Witness

I usually rant at others for this, then I go and do it myself.

Lxx

Re: Jehovah's Witness - No time to talk!!

I'm usually polite enough with folk like that. However I did do the Victor Meldrew thing one time.

The week before I got distracted by Jehovah's Witnesses at the door when watching the TV and ended up missing the last 5 minutes Next week, watching the TV again, Knock goes the door

"Hello" said two well dressed folk with badges identifying them as here to preach to you.

Not wanting to miss what I was watching again, and remembering seeing One Foot in the Grave earlier in the week, I just said "Goodbye" and through the door closed and went back and didn't miss what I was watching this time.

A bit impolite and evil but also kinda satisfying

She strikes again. Sorry.

Richard Dawkins forum.

(having a bad day)

Cool Re: Jehovah's Witness - No time to talk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_Cat View Post
    The thing that annoy me the most is they know i am deaf and living here so when i ever open the door, they start to sign straightaway without me having to say oh i am deaf.

One day i will tell them to go away in not a nice way!!
    That is truly disgusting!!! Imagine someone knowing that you're deaf, and therefore using sign language to communicate with you... that is bang out of order!! How dare they.

I think you're quite right to say you're going to get abusive towards them for being so inconsiderately thoughtful

my sister solved this problem for us permanently - they asked her if she believed in God - she responded no she worshiped Satan - they have never knocked on our door again!

Two of them knocked on my door this morning and asked me what bread I liked

White I replied, White

They then lectured me for an hour why I should eat brown bread

I just can’t stand Hovis witnesses

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    my sister solved this problem for us permanently - they asked her if she believed in God - she responded no she worshiped Satan - they have never knocked on our door again!
    Can you worship Satan without believing in God?

It's interesting that they would need to maintain a database of houses and people in them, to know to sign to the deaf and avoid the devil-worshipers. I wonder if it's possible to see the information they have stored about us...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I had them knock a few years back, now i live out in the sticks there are only 4 house and we are probally 2 miles from the village so they had a little walk to get to us. So i was polite when i opened the door, when they started talking i listened attentivly for a minute or so until my cat walked in the front door between us. It was at this point i knelt down and started bowing to the cat and chanting "my lord and mistress you have come back" to the cat. At this point they left very briskly. Must have thought i was nuts...

They have never been back.

Dean

Blog Entries

As a Christian, I respect those willing and able to go out and spread God's message to others. I do, however, have a problem with the way some of them do it.

Jehovah's Witnesses are a prime example. How can you expect people to listen with an open mind if you intrude into their lives and start lecturing them on their doorsteps? IMO that's the quickest way to alienate folk and close their minds to what you have to say. By all means offer the information and the opportunity to chat if they want - but don't force them. Let them make the choice! Also, if they DO want to talk, as in Lorna's case, then for goodness sake, talk! I really can't understand why someone would knock on your door to talk about their religion and then refuse to be drawn into discussion. What is the point in that?
    I wonder if it's possible to see the information they have stored about us...
    You can't call what our local JWs do evangelising - they only seem to target selected households. I've watched them drive into our street, park a few doors down, walk to our door, ring the doorbell, then return to their car and drive off. Thing is, they know we're already Christians. Surely they should be chatting to the other 50 households in the street instead of trying to convert those who already believe? So much for spreading the Good News...

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    they only seem to target selected households. I've watched them drive into our street, park a few doors down, walk to our door, ring the doorbell, then return to their car and drive off. Thing is, they know we're already Christians. Surely they should be chatting to the other 50 households in the street instead of trying to convert those who already believe? So much for spreading the Good News...
    Goodness knows why that knock at my door then. I get then knocking all the time and the answer is always the same. Surely if they had a database they would have next to my address - avoid at all costs...! Mad woman with views that make total sense...!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Goodness knows why that knock at my door then. I get then knocking all the time and the answer is always the same. Surely if they had a database they would have next to my address - avoid at all costs...! Mad woman with views that make total sense...!
    Maybe your ones like a challenge... or find you irresistable.

or find you irresistable.
    Well, they are only human after all.

DT gets all of a kerfuffle remembering that the ones that popped round yesterday were women.

Thing is, they know we're already Christians. Surely they should be chatting to the other 50 households in the street instead of trying to convert those who already believe? So much for spreading the Good News...
    But they need to bring you round to their version of Christianity, so maybe because you're already Christians you're half way there, so maybe a better target?

Don't get me wrong here or anything, I'm not a Jehovah's witness or particuarly religious...but is everyone in such a rush, or feel so strongly in their own beliefs that they can't even entertain listening to people and letting them have their say?

Yeah, I know they turn up at the door at sunday lunch time and that they really try to push their beliefs...but does nobody think it's better to be polite and gently suggest that you are not interested, rather than going to the effort of telling them that you want to beat their head in or that you worship satan!!!

Just a thought....maybe I'm just in a benevolent mood tonight. ('shrug smilie')

JB

The way I see it is this: I strongly disagree with many things Jehovah's Witnesses believe. I have no intention of converting to their religion. However, the fact is that according to their beliefs I am going to hell, and they are taking the time and effort to come around and try to save me from that. They are doing what they do because they genuinely care for people and want the best for them.

That being the case, even though I disagree with them, I am always polite to them and have actually had some interesting discussions with them. I appreciate the fact that they care about the people around them, even if I do disagree with their beliefs.

If people don't want to talk to them, it costs nothing to tell them so politely.

I would rather not be impolite to people but if they don't take 'no' for an answer, I don't feel bad about being more abrupt.

I really don't have much time for Jehovah's Witnesses. They're so doom and gloom and obsessed with the end of the world, I fear I might develop an ulcer if I listened to them for any length of time. The last time they came to the door, it was the chap's 5 year old son who started talking, which I found despicable on so many levels.

On the other hand, I have a lot of time for the Mormons. As I understand it, they are sent away from home as teenagers on a two year Mission. During that time they have to live very strictly: no smoking, no alcohol, no drugs, no caffeine, no TV, no music, no dating. From early in the morning, they're out preaching. I usually take pity on them and stop to talk if they approach me on the street or let them in if they call at the house. It's not usually possible to get any deep discussion going. I once suggested Adam and Eve wasn't a real story and the two poor souls nearly had a stroke. So I just humour them, promise to read the book (which I'm sure I will one day out of interest), let them say a prayer and then they leave.

Only problem with that, last time they visited, my daughter was getting very fed up with 'all that Jesus stuff' so she went and phoned her Dad to tell him "Mum's got some men round and I'm very bored".

Thread Information