Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How selfish do leads need to be to improve there dancing to a good level?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: How selfish do leads need to be to improve there dancing to a good level?

I don't think back-leading is 'always' evil.

Take a pretzel for example, its complicated to explain and difficult to do slowly but if the lead can get 'the feel' of the move and how it 'flows' it can suddenly all make sense and fall into place.

I've often 'asked' a guy who looks lost during a lesson, if they'd 'like' me to help?

Some decline, which is fine and in which case I follow 'exactly' what they lead, no more, no less but some are very grateful and the look of relief on their faces, as the move suddenly takes shape, is delightful!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Take a pretzel for example, its complicated to explain and difficult to do slowly but if the lead can get 'the feel' of the move and how it 'flows' it can suddenly all make sense and fall into place.
    No offence but, for me, that is the worst example of back-leading. The (continuous) preztel is a dangerous move if done badly and to me many intermediates back lead it and back lead it wrong, usually by turning to early without being lead. Though I now counter this by doing the whole thing in reverse!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    No offence but, for me, that is the worst example of back-leading.
    It would be, wouldn't it!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I don't think back-leading is 'always' evil.

I've often 'asked' a guy who looks lost during a lesson, if they'd 'like' me to help?

Some decline, which is fine and in which case I follow 'exactly' what they lead, no more, no less but some are very grateful and the look of relief on their faces, as the move suddenly takes shape, is delightful!
    I'm assuming that you mean in class situations, rather than freestyle Lory?

I now do the same, if I've "got" the move either from what the teacher has said in class, or because a more experienced lead has done it with me a couple of times in the rotation and I've got the shape of it.

But the key is asking the lead if they'd like help. And yes, a lot of them do want help. I've had men tell me that they wouldn't have got the move at all without my input. And I've had men ask me if I can help them practise after the class (which I'll do without backleading unless they need to break the move right down and do it as slowly as in class).

I started doing this after a conversation on here with timbp about how follows can help in class. I then started playing a bigger role in the learning process, which has improved the experience of doing classes for me a little - otherwise I get ridiculously bored these days.

However, I do my best not to back-lead in freestyle. There is a world of difference between backleading in class, slowly and with consent, and freestyle.

It would be, wouldn't it!
    It would!

But if the follower actually knows the move then I quick run through won't harm if the lead knew that was the case just to feel the move. If the lead didn't know eg in freestyle, then I bak lead on this move wouldn't not be helpful. That's sortta what I meant!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I'm assuming that you mean in class situations, rather than freestyle Lory?
    Yes

I usually follow what ever they lead, right or wrong but if I can see they're making the same mistake over and over and looking frustrated, its at that point, that I may offer some help and that's only if I'm sure I'm 100% confident about it myself!

I've had men tell me that they wouldn't have got the move at all without my input.
    Me too and as I said, the look of relief when it all clicks is very rewarding.

There is a world of difference between backleading in class, slowly and with consent, and freestyle.

Thread Information