Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When you've been a follower for 2 years + what still gives you a buzz on the dance fl

Re: When you've been a follower for 2 years + what still gives you a buzz on the danc

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    A partner who can 'feel' the music and respond to it, and also respond to my following and allow for some 'play time'. Oh, and by play time I do not mean hold the lady at arm's length and give her that 'right, go on then, strut your stuff' look.

I love dancing with people who can really respond to and play with the music.
    I get very bored with dancers who just go through move after move without listening to the nuances in the music at all.....

Its being given the opportunity to respond to the music that makes a dance sparkle for me. Not being restricted to 'moves' but the dance being a creation that is crafted from our mutual understanding of the music.

I guess I'd sum it up as connection and musicality. Moves are just the tools used to express that.

Least inspiring dances are lots of complicated moves, especially done at speed where I have to spend all my attention on the moves and sometimes on protecting myself (on occasion have even had to follow 'badly' to prevent injury), and have no time or space to respond to the music.

Re: When you've been a follower for 2 years + what still gives you a buzz on the danc

<snip>
    Oh, and by play time I do not mean hold the lady at arm's length and give her that 'right, go on then, strut your stuff' look.
    <snip>
    Have been practicing this look all morning, planning to try it out tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    If you get bored of following, why not try to learn how to lead? It will give you a new view point on following.
    Get the cigars out this guys a genius This could change the whole concept of dancing overnight....

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

Surely your weight is transferring throughout most of the moves, beginner or otherwise?
    no I wasn't, why would that be do you think?
    Also he put in a pause after every move - maybe it was the waiting on my bad leg.

And a ceroc spin would/should be done with you spinning on your right leg, surely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    The majority of ladies will spin on their right foot if spinning clockwise and their left if spinning anti-clockwise.

A ceroc-spin is a clockwise spin.
    I always spin on my left leg going clockwise. Am I a freak?

I'm not sure about which leg I use for an anti clockwise spin, but I think it's also the left. (I will need to check next time I go dancing)

I know when I started learning drops I would naturally bend my left leg, and had to train myself to use the right.
    Now I want to use the left again for drops, as my right leg has turned out weaker, but I can't untrain my muscle memory.
    Seems the body knows best.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I always spin on my left leg going clockwise. Am I a freak?

I'm not sure about which leg I use for an anti clockwise spin, but I think it's also the left. (I will need to check next time I go dancing)

I know when I started learning drops I would naturally bend my left leg, and had to train myself to use the right.
    Now I want to use the left again for drops, as my right leg has turned out weaker, but I can't untrain my muscle memory.
    Seems the body knows best.
    Out of interest are you left handed?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Out of interest are you left handed?
    No I'm right handed.

Do left handed dancers spin on their left leg?

The majority of ladies will spin on their right foot if spinning clockwise and their left if spinning anti-clockwise.

A ceroc-spin is a clockwise spin.
    No

I have found that the beginners moves - apart from the ceroc spin - cause me to have my weight for most of the time on my right leg.

It's only because I had a thigh injury on my right leg that I noticed it.
    I remember praying for a ceroc spin, so as I could get the weight off my right leg for a little while.

I don't think you're a freak - I think you're using the opposite leg to most women because you've got an injury. I found as Storm that because I was compensating for my right ankle, I wound up spinning on my left foot most of the time. The strange thing was, I didn't do this conciously, and I would normally spin as Tiggerbabe describes. But it was easier to spin on my left, so my body seemed to do that naturally.

It'll be interesting to see if I go back to my usual habits once the foot is completely better (it's still a little bit sore, and very stiff at the moment).

But if it works for you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurion View Post
    Sorry I won't be there to see it. Although, of course, I don't approve of blood sports

Quote Originally Posted by Aurion View Post
    Ooooh, you just wait.......

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Hips View Post
    Sorry I won't be there to see it. Although, of course, I don't approve of blood sports

It could get messy!

No I'm right handed.

Do left handed dancers spin on their left leg?

No. I am ambiguous. It depends if I'm spinning clock or anti-wise.

but I do look upwards and to the left if I'm thinking about something. Do normal people look up to the right? I've tried deliberately looking up and to the right and there's nothing there.

Daisy

(A Sinister Cack-Handed Little FLower)
    Last edited by Daisy Chain; 21st-March-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    Do you still enjoy the more plain beginner moves performed smoothly in time with the music or do you like the challenge of the more complex moves (leans / dips / drops / tango / mambo steps etc) where you really need to concentrate otherwise they go a little awry and often do.

DD
    When I had been dancing for a couple of years I needed more of a challenge, so I ventured to different venues. The teaching was different and I asked the more experienced dancers to dance - and of course go to weekenders where you get a concentrate of good dancers and different teachers.

Musicality, I believe, is the step after the above, when you are truly confident in your dancing you start to listen to the music more and then you can start having fun with your dancing and you find every partner is different

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Ooooh, you just wait.......

It could get messy!
    Well, I went after all. Full marks to Aurion for having a great sense of humour as dance after dance, the Dundee women hijacked him, held their thumbs over his hand and gave him that raised eyebrow "wiggle, boy" look.

My goodness, can that boy wiggle for Scotland -

Had a fab night!

I need to start watching for what Aurion's got.

Well, I went after all. Full marks to Aurion for having a great sense of humour as dance after dance, the Dundee women hijacked him, held their thumbs over his hand and gave him that raised eyebrow "wiggle, boy" look.

Had a fab night!
    He didn't bat an eyelid when I did it to him... just wiggled like a wiggly thing!
    I was suitably impressed!!!

I'm going to try it on Prezelmeister next...

What about the majority of men Tiggerbabe?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I tend to spin on my left in both directions. Though I am slightly odd...
    Everyone's odd, save for thee and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

Least inspiring dances are lots of complicated moves, especially done at speed where I have to spend all my attention on the moves and sometimes on protecting myself (on occasion have even had to follow 'badly' to prevent injury), and have no time or space to respond to the music.
    You've summed it up perfectly Lynn.
    I've had a lot of this type of dance.
    It's one of my worst case scenarios as I have no imput or control at all.
    Feel like a rag doll.

My goodness, can that boy wiggle for Scotland

Had a fab night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire S View Post
    He didn't bat an eyelid when I did it to him... just wiggled like a wiggly thing!
    I was suitably impressed!!!
    Don't let it be said that I don't know how to take my punishments

As an aside I can't believe that I have spent years developing and perfecting a light smooth style and then I do "ONE WIGGLE" .........

Quote Originally Posted by Claire S View Post
    I'm going to try it on Prezelmeister next...
    Sorry PM... what have I started?

Thread Information