Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you've been a follower for 2 years + what still gives you a buzz on the dance fl

Question When you've been a follower for 2 years + what still gives you a buzz on the dance fl

Do you still enjoy the more plain beginner moves performed smoothly in time with the music or do you like the challenge of the more complex moves (leans / dips / drops / tango / mambo steps etc) where you really need to concentrate otherwise they go a little awry and often do.

DD

Re: When you've been a follower for 2 years + what still gives you a buzz on the danc

Neither. After two years, it was dancing with leaders who react with musicality to the music and 'listen' to what I'm doing. However, even after a few years of that with wonderful leads, I still got bored & now can't bring myself to MJ at all, unless it's a very bluesey, playtime kind of non-move track with an indulgent partner - like an idyllic Southport blues room after a few bourbons. Are you bored DD?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: When you've been a follower for 2 years + what still gives you a buzz on the danc

If you get bored of following, why not try to learn how to lead? It will give you a new view point on following.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    If you get bored of following, why not try to learn how to lead? It will give you a new view point on following.
    I keep thinking about doing this, but I think that I'm scared that I'll be cr@p at it and make a pratt of myself

Am not bored with any follows in MJ yet though, although I can see the journey to where Feelingpink is... If all I had in an evening were well executed but not particularly musical beginners moves, I think I would get bored. And if all I had were challenging moves in every single dance, I think I'd just get tired, and also bored. I need a variety of moves and styles

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Are you bored DD?
    In a way, I just feel there is potential there to have more fun, as I see it happening but doesn't appear to happen with me.

There is handful of girls I dance with at my regular venues I have fun with, they are full of fun and smiles and we generally have great dances with more than a few giggles.

Most of these girls I would describe as fresh intermediates.

When I dance with the more advance dancers in general they seem more glum.

Just wondering what these more advance dancers are looking for in the dance to bring them alive?

Maybe it's a style of dancing but then again just having the thought maybe it's more a social thing? I haven't interacted too much with these glum dancers off the dance floor. Maybe if we were interacting more off the dance floor then the interactions on the dance floor may well improve…hhhmmm interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    Just wondering what these more advance dancers are looking for in the dance to bring them alive?
    Why not ask them? As part of your drive to improve. Can't hurt - and they'll probably be flattered if you ask them for advice and show that you want to give them a better dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Why not ask them? As part of your drive to improve. Can't hurt - and they'll probably be flattered if you ask them for advice and show that you want to give them a better dance.
    God that sounds so much like a chat-up line, think I'll definitely try it out next time I go dancing. I may well get more than I bargain for

Now what phrasing should I use?

Tell me what gives a dance that special sparkle for you?

Or how about…

So what does an experience lady like yourself enjoy on the dance floor.

Boy I can tell I can have some fun with this one, thanks for the inspiration Twirly.

what gives a dance that special sparkle for you?

/quote]

For me it is musicality, smiling and eye contact - with the occasional dip or slightly more thrilling move thrown in. Loads of complicated moves are just annoying or even painful if it is badly done!

God that sounds so much like a chat-up line, think I'll definitely try it out next time I go dancing. I may well get more than I bargain for

Now what phrasing should I use?

Tell me what gives a dance that special sparkle for you?

Or how about…

So what does an experience lady like yourself enjoy on the dance floor.

Boy I can tell I can have some fun with this one, thanks for the inspiration Twirly.
    Naughty,
    are you trying to steal my reputation?

Do you still enjoy the more plain beginner moves performed smoothly in time with the music
    No

I have found that the beginners moves - apart from the ceroc spin - cause me to have my weight for most of the time on my right leg.

It's only because I had a thigh injury on my right leg that I noticed it.
    I remember praying for a ceroc spin, so as I could get the weight off my right leg for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    No

I have found that the beginners moves - apart from the ceroc spin - cause me to have my weight for most of the time on my right leg.

I remember praying for a ceroc spin, so as I could get the weight off my right leg for a little while.

Surely your weight is transferring throughout most of the moves, beginner or otherwise? And a ceroc spin would/should be done with you spinning on your right leg, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    No

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

Surely your weight is transferring throughout most of the moves, beginner or otherwise? And a ceroc spin would/should be done with you spinning on your right leg, surely?
    have I got my rights and lefts confused again?
    I'm lost.
    But most of you know that already.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    have I got my rights and lefts confused again?
    The majority of ladies will spin on their right foot if spinning clockwise and their left if spinning anti-clockwise.

A ceroc-spin is a clockwise spin.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

DD for a bit of variety have you tried leading men.

I am often told that I come out of a move different to a gal.

Give it a try and see how you get on, OR try following yourself, gives you a whole new take on dancing.

DTS Dave XXX XX

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post

For me it is musicality, smiling and eye contact
    A big
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    For me it is musicality, smiling and eye contact
    For ZW, it's musicality, grinding and thigh contact

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    The majority of ladies will spin on their right foot if spinning clockwise and their left if spinning anti-clockwise.

A ceroc-spin is a clockwise spin.
    I tend to spin on my left in both directions. Though I am slightly odd...

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Neither. After two years, it was dancing with leaders who react with musicality to the music and 'listen' to what I'm doing. However, even after a few years of that with wonderful leads, I still got bored & now can't bring myself to MJ at all, unless it's a very bluesey, playtime kind of non-move track with an indulgent partner - like an idyllic Southport blues room after a few bourbons. Are you bored DD?

A partner who can 'feel' the music and respond to it, and also respond to my following and allow for some 'play time'. Oh, and by play time I do not mean hold the lady at arm's length and give her that 'right, go on then, strut your stuff' look.

I love dancing with people who can really respond to and play with the music.
    I get very bored with dancers who just go through move after move without listening to the nuances in the music at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

A partner who can 'feel' the music and respond to it, and also respond to my following and allow for some 'play time'. Oh, and by play time I do not mean hold the lady at arm's length and give her that 'right, go on then, strut your stuff' look.

I love dancing with people who can really respond to and play with the music.
    I get very bored with dancers who just go through move after move without listening to the nuances in the music at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    DD for a bit of variety have you tried leading men.

I am often told that I come out of a move different to a gal.

Give it a try and see how you get on, OR try following yourself, gives you a whole new take on dancing.

DTS Dave XXX XX
    I have tried leading men - and it is completely different feel. I found that men (or at least men I led) came off the spin much more "compact" than ladies, and their moves were much more precise. Any thoughts?

To come back to the original discussion - it is variety that matters to me, too - well put, Twirly. Beginners moves over and over and over again would bore me to tears. But also complicated moves without stop would tire and bore me. Combine the two, and I am a happy bunny, who will beg you for a second dance!

Thread Information