10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lead alligns with the follow

5 50.00%
  • Follow alligns with the lead

5 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allignment

Allignment

So who should allign with who after a turn or spin?

(yey for polls)

- incidently I was following recently with a teacher who said I should be alligning myself with the lead on a return. Was this right?

Re: Allignment

The more experience dancer should do whatever necessary to make the less experienced dancer not feel inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post

(yey for polls)

- incidently I was following recently with a teacher who said I should be alligning myself with the lead on a return. Was this right?
    Depends on who's turning or spinning?

Depends on how many leads and how many followers?

Steve

Could you align your spelling with a dictionary before posting? Should you? Would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    The more experience dancer should do whatever necessary to make the less experienced dancer not feel inadequate.

you missed a very important option in your poll and that is the one for both

As i said in the other thread you dance together not in spite of

(yey for polls)

I still feel the underlying trend in your thought process is "who can I blame" when it does not go to plan.
    Do not attach blame to either party.

Try approaching it with a solution finding attitude.
    What can I do to help the enjoyment process? This might even extend to a short chat afterwards. "I was having difficulty with one of the moves" or "could you help me by explaining what you were feeling"?

Alternatively, ask your teacher for feedback on your technique and then compare that feedback to responses received from your partners when it does not go as well as planned.
    Last edited by dep; 19th-March-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    I still feel the underlying trend in your thought process is "who can I blame" when it does not go to plan.

Try approaching it with a solution finding attitude. What can I do to help the enjoyment process. This might even extend to a short chat afterwards. "I was having difficulty with one of the moves" or "could you help me by explaining what you were feeling"?

Alternatively, ask your teacher for feedback on your technique and then compare that feedback to responses received from your partners when it does not go as well as planned.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

You're not the only one

but...Surely the answer is - the follower aligns themselves to where they are lead ?

incidentally, i thought this thread was about something else and was all ready to proclaim "chaotic good"

That's not the intention though it may appear like that.

I'm just asking a question then seeing what the general reply was.

My opinion, FWIW, is that the follower should align herself after a turn or spin so that her body is facing the same direction as her forearm.

It depends.

If someone follows perfectly and if they are led perfectly, then the follow should always align to the lead. But they shouldn't have guess where they're meant to be to align: they should be led to exactly the right spot.

In reality good dancers aren't perfect and it becomes a dance of mutual alignment. The lead's main responsibility is to ensure that the follow is in an appropriate position before leading the next move. This often means that they have to either align themselves or guide their partner into alignment. A good follow makes this easy.

In even more reality, the vast majority of people doing ceroc can't (and haven't been taught) how to do a spot turn. Or how to lead a spot turn. That means when they try to turn on the spot, they travel - often in random directions. Similarly, when doing a travelling turn, they drift off the line and/or are not lead on a clear line. At the end of either a spot or travelling turn, you often have to fight to get back in to alignment. This is when you often see the more experienced dancer compensating for the less experienced dancer. That is, in my opinion the wrong answer. Instead of working out how to manage the symptom, we should try to cure the disease.

The one exception to this (and it's something I do all the time) is when either partner (semi-)intentionally wanders (or wonders) off their line. Then it's entirely their responsibility to get back into alignment in time for the next move.

The person doing the turn is responsible for the alignment when they finish the turn.

When both leader and follower are involved, it is clearly a shared responsibility.

But...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Ask a different person, get a different answer. My answer is pretty much the same as it was to your last question - what did you lead her to do at the end of this spin / turn? She should probably do that. If she didn't, you didn't lead it in a way she could follow. Try a different way.

Seems like a good philosophy to me.

Dan

isnt this how unintentional circular dancing starts?

i.e being out of alignment after a turn/spin
    Last edited by jemessex; 20th-March-2008 at 12:54 PM.

From personall experience if good eye contact is mantained the follower wil be in the correct position after every turn.

I think it is all about eye contact.

Followers look the bas*ard in the eye at all times, the leader is more nervous than you are.
    DTS Dave XX XXX

In my opinion, the follow should align themselves with the lead after a spin/turn/return. Some follows like to cheat and do a 3/4 turn by doing the circular motion that you see on some Ceroc dance floors.

*shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by jemessex View Post
    isnt this how unintentional circular dancing starts?

i.e being out of alignment after a turn/spin
    Does it matter if the couple move around the floor?
    Or, can Ceroc only be performed as a slotted dance and frowned upon if danced any other way?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    incidentally, i thought this thread was about something else and was all ready to proclaim "chaotic good"
    Chaotic neutral

From what I've been taught and how I dance, both partners should always try and remain "flashlighting" each other. Especially true for turns and spins where one partner has just had their back to the other.

In this case, the lead should have started facing their partner and the follower should complete the turn facing the lead (unless led otherwise)

Does it matter if the couple move around the floor?
    Or, can Ceroc only be performed as a slotted dance and frowned upon if danced any other way?
    hmmm.... I was not making a statement .. hence a question mark and if you read the post properly the word 'unintentional' appears and IMHO modern jive (never heard of a dance called CEROC) can be danced anyway you so wish

Thread Information