Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will be there

26 74.29%
  • No, I will not make it

6 17.14%
  • Maybe

3 8.57%
  • It depends whether Rocky will keep his hands off his knob (pitch control that is)

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Utopia 4th April 2008

Re: Utopia 4th April 2008

Utopia Ashtons

Just back and its been a long old drive, but well worth it.

I will proberbly miss loads, but its late.

Got there a bit early, but it was fantastic to walk in with virtually no one in the room, it gave you the opportunity to look around and take in the full extent of the work that had been done during the afternoon, it was awesome, it look like a totally different venue, the lighting was spot on, lovely little candles on every table, and soft chiffon drapes all around.

It was wonderfully well done guy's.

I couldn't get comfy and changed 3 times before I settled down to dance properly.

Don't know what came over me but decided to jump in at the deep end! and had a go at WCS thank you to,

Paul Harris, I can live with been a charity dance.
    KeithR....you big pussyCat you
    John.......Sid and John.
    Paul Buckley thanks for going easy on me
    RobD ...thank you I do appreciate it.

Missed PaulF ...I bet your gutted now you know I was hunting you. lol.

I'm going to pluck up the courage to dance with GordieeEd again, soon!

Had other fab dances with

DavidB your just the best SFunker.
    John Sweeny
    Phil Webb.....will we ever get a proper dance or just chat
    Migule.....you make me Laugh
    Nigle..we aint bad for 'old uns' Glad Maddie wasn't watching us.
    Warren..Brighton...why do you live so far away.

Just a couple of moans, no Tagging, and Spiky Steve, thanks...that twice now, looked a right chump!

I was froze, flipping wind machines I hate them, but i'm sure everyone else will love them, I just get cold.

Barry sooo funny as one track ended I held my hands out for a dance with him and he turned and run.........lol, it made me smile.

I'm not sure about the music, i'm not always that fussy, and usually leave it to other to do most of the commenting, unless its SFunk, for me it was a bit patchy, but don't ask me who was on or which bits, so this last comment is relevant really, and it could have been me not been comfy.

Lovely to see so many people that had travelled so far, CrisU DJ for Manchester, Suzie manchester, TB, Stokie, BARMPOT, Paul Bulldog.

last but not least, Gerry for stopping awake all the way home so I could twitter on, and my lovely dances.

On the train on the way back so Free Wi-Fi. Yippee something free!!!

Had a great night at my first "Utopia". Big thanks to Val and david, Marc and Rachel plus all the crew who had obviously put a lot of effort into the venue. I have to set my venue up at Leeds and take it from me this wasn't a 5min job.

Special thanks to Fletch for making me feel very welcome and a great dance. Met Stoke Bloke and Twirly so more faces to names.

Great to see so many fantastic dancers in one room and just watching at times was a privelege.

I despirately try to remember all who I dance with but age stops me remembering . So Thanks to all who I troubled on the floor.

The tunes were fantastic and well delivered. I only wish I could get away with playiing many of them in my home venues in Yorkshire and Manchster. But I will be making a special effort to slip some more "Smooth and R&B" in. Thats a promise.

A Billy Valentine track from David. Tops And a motown Classic "What Does It Take" got my applause.

Now to convince people that we need "Different" events in the darkest north.

Gonna try to get to other Utopia's when possible so .

Once again a great night.

DJ ChrisU

Just had to say..really fabulous evening at Ashtons last night.

Lovely decor, wonderful ambiance, good music, excellent dances..not a bad one amongst them...some were exceptional......only down side was that 3am came round too fast !

Thank you Val, David, Marc, Rachel for all your efforts they certainly paid off and also to everyone that took time to dance with me.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    [CENTER][B][SIZE="5"]I'm not sure about the music, i'm not always that fussy, and usually leave it to other to do most of the commenting, unless its SFunk, for me it was a bit patchy, but don't ask me who was on or which bits, so this last comment is relevant really, and it could have been me not been comfy.
    I too wasn't sure about the music, until the last 2/3 hours when I really started to enjoy the sets. I guess the best stuff needs saving till last though, with such a long night. I wasn't feeling too well early on, (must remember not to mix pain killers and wine in future! ) so this may have clouded my judgement too. The decor looked lovely and gave it a more cosy feel. I think the extra fans were a great idea, normally it can be a very hot venue but I didn't get too warm at all last night. The cakes and biccies were appreciated as a pick me up around midnight, although I felt sick cos I ate too much white chocolate! As usual the London Utopia draws in some great dancers and I enjoyed as many of them as possible, which is easier than normal when you have a 3 am finish. It meant I didn't get that usual 'Oh I didn't get to dance with *** and*** and****.' All in all a good night, but I do wish to know how serious the question 'Do we want one here every month?' was from Rocky. I think it's a great thing to do maybe quarterly, but monthly! It would lose the special quality it has and Twickenham is such a lovely venue and more suited to the Utopia atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    ... but I do wish to know how serious the question 'Do we want one here every month?' was from Rocky.
    Don't panic, the enormity of the occasion got to him temporarily, but after blowing into a paper bag for five minutes he regained his composure....
    Last edited by SilverFox; 5th-April-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Have had better nights at Utopia but enjoyed this more than the last one I attended at Ashtons. My own dancing was a bit woeful at times last night and never really got going though I did have some enjoyable dances in spite of that and as always there were plenty of laughs to be had

I'm not sure about the music, i'm not always that fussy, and usually leave it to other to do most of the commenting, unless its SFunk, for me it was a bit patchy, but don't ask me who was on or which bits,
    I agree. As Dave was taking down the decor he asked if I'd enjoyed the night. He seemed a bit exasperated when I said that overall I had enjoyed it but personally I didn't find a lot of the music inspiring. This isn't a criticism just an observation. Others obviously had a different view:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post
    The tunes were fantastic and well delivered.
    and as has been noted on here before it's always easier to let the music you didn't like cloud your perception of an event rather than the music you did like (and there was some of that last night too). I will give credit for the wide variety of music that was played and the amount of non-obvious stuff in there (I don't remember hearing Superstition all night but then I didn't arrive until 10.45ish)

Twickenham is such a lovely venue and more suited to the Utopia atmosphere.

Maybe that's my gripe with Ashtons Utopia - that this kind of music and event doesn't work as well for me in a larger venue as a more intimate one. I felt the same about the large COZ room at Chill last year. On the flip side holding it there does give many more people a chance to participate (and Ashtons is easier for me to get to). I guess the financial benefit of getting more people through the door is probably balanced out by a greater cost to hire the venue. The decor was superb and really made the venue look different to your bog standard Ashtons freestyle.

All in all a good night, but I do wish to know how serious the question 'Do we want one here every month?' was from Rocky. I think it's a great thing to do maybe quarterly, but monthly! It would lose the special quality it has and Twickenham is such a lovely venue and more suited to the Utopia atmosphere.
    As much as I like the Ashton's Utopia nights, I prefer the more intimate feeling you get at Twickers

I had a good night last night. Some great dances but I did lose my way mid-evening down to a combination of not really getting into the music, tiredness due to a very long drive that day and a general loss of confidence. I knew I wasn't dancing my best which disappointed and frustrated me.

My evening did pick up towards the end though with a final succession of some very nice dances indeed

The venue looked great - for all the effort that must have entailed.

And cakes and tea in the early hours - perfect
    Last edited by HelenB; 5th-April-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: RobD got there first about it being more intimate at Twickers - grrr!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post

Special thanks to Fletch for making me feel very welcome and a great dance.

The tunes were fantastic and well delivered. I only wish I could get away with playiing many of them in my home venues in Yorkshire and Manchster. But I will be making a special effort to slip some more "Smooth and R&B" in. Thats a promise.

Now to convince people that we need "Different" events in the darkest north.

If you do a Utopia night up north i'll come and try and get a few 'Fletcherette's' there to make it go with a swing

Problem is up north they have been doing 'that' routeen for 10years and these nothing wrong with it, there are some with open minds, don't get me wrong but its like pulling teeth most of the time, musicallity? SFunk ? let the lady take controll for a while, were men's men up here, the woman do as they are told, the men lead! got it !

*Yawn*

Chris don't forget the Northern Soul list, any chance of a disc when its done

I think the extra fans were a great idea, normally it can be a very hot venue but I didn't get too warm at all last night. which is easier than normal when you have a 3 am finish. It meant I didn't get that usual 'Oh I didn't get to dance with *** and*** and****.'
    I new some one would love the fans. eeeek!

A breckfast club has been mentioned, i'm up for it, so is Gerry, he hasn't got a choice i'm driving. lol.

What about the 'Big Party' night on the 30th August Midnight at the oasis......ooooo..... I love that track. 6am finish with bacon sarnies what to wear ? belly dancer yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Have had better nights at Utopia but enjoyed this more than the last one I attended at Ashtons. My own dancing was a bit woeful at times last night and never really got going though I did have some enjoyable dances in spite of that and as always there were plenty of laughs to be had
    I thought that Rob, but not bad for a WCS'er you did get the 'Fletch' disco move in

He seemed a bit exasperated when I said that overall I had enjoyed it but personally I didn't find a lot of the music inspiring. This isn't a criticism just an observation. Others obviously had a different view
    Fair comment Rob. The music wasn't as challenging as it could've been. At the beginning of the night David, Marc and I agreed to play 'safer' sets than we might normally do at Twickenham. As we were in a bigger venue with a very large number of UTOPIA virgins, we thought it more appropriate. After all nobody wants an empty dance floor. Well, nobody apart from you long-slotted snoots.

.. it was awesome, it look like a totally different venue, the lighting was spot on, lovely little candles on every table, and soft chiffon drapes all around.
    To look at it one would think that it was all Val's idea to have all that soft flowing fabric..

But no!

It was our own frilly-cuffed fop Rocky who henceforth shall be known as Laurence Llewelyn-Rokov.
    Last edited by SilverFox; 5th-April-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Well, nobody apart from you long slotted snoots.
    I thought playing with a long slot was your forty, I mean forte, SF?

It was our own frilly-cuffed fop Rocky who henceforth shall be known as Laurence Llewelyn-Rokov.
    As he was taking it down I did ask him if it was going back round his four poster.

The Dashing Moderator

What about the 'Big Party' night on the 30th August.
    Are there any details of this one? Where will it be?
    Love dance, will travel

If you do a Utopia night up north i'll come and try and get a few 'Fletcherette's' there to make it go with a swing

Problem is up north they have been doing 'that' routeen for 10years and these nothing wrong with it, there are some with open minds, don't get me wrong but its like pulling teeth most of the time, musicallity? SFunk ? let the lady take controll for a while, were men's men up here, the woman do as they are told, the men lead! got it !

*Yawn*

There are a few of us you know up here who would gladly come to a Utopia night

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Are there any details of this one? Where will it be?
    I thought it was going to be in Twickenham.

Unfortunately I can't make it - I'm in Twickenham that night but going to see REM instead (but hope I don't have to give the tickets away again )

That's the second big "party" Utopia I've missed

Hello HelenB! I think I boogied with you last night. I had a lovely dance.

My first Utopia and it was lovely. Wasnt a single thing I didnt like.

Saw Fletch about but failed to ask for a dance :-(

Also LOVED my dances with Debbie Pole and Victoria (Teacher, from Croydon)

Im definitely going to more!!

Quote Originally Posted by wigglebum View Post

Saw Fletch about but failed to ask for a dance :-(

!

ooo baby, baby, just clicked on your profile picture, how did I miss you

lol, I look a little different!

Black short hair, dodgy black vest and black trousers.

I thought I was auditioning for the black magic guy, but started dancing instead!

I had a boogie with you at hammersmith before. VERY NICE! ;-)

As he was taking it down I did ask him if it was going back round his four poster.
    I thought you'd left early, couldn't see you.

ooo baby, baby, just clicked on your profile picture, how did I miss you

Yeah, how did we miss him?

I felt like a child in a sweet shop last night.

The only downside for me was, having been off dancing for 5 weeks, I had to take it easy.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    I thought it was going to be in Twickenham.

Unfortunately I can't make it - I'm in Twickenham that night but going to see REM instead (but hope I don't have to give the tickets away again )

That's the second big "party" Utopia I've missed
    How late do REM sing? How late will the Utopia party finish? If both are in Twickenham, maybe you could do both?
    Love dance, will travel

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I thought playing with a long slot was your forty,
    Now, I'm sure that number MAY be significant for some reason.

Now, I'm sure that number MAY be significant for some reason.
    Following all the recent speculation about GaG's true identity can we be sure that this forum member isn't an alter ego of yours?

Thread Information