Thread: Swayze- five weeks to live

Swayze- five weeks to live

Has anybody heard about this?

Dirty dancing star- Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, that is predicted to kill him in approxiametly five weeks....

I nearly choked on my bourbon when i read it in one of my magazines...it's going to be a terrible loss...

such a talented man and last night during my drama performance they played unchained melody and all i could think of was swayze in ghost...

if you want to find out more, this is the link to the story in the SUN.

Patrick Swayze | Actor | Dying of cancer | The Sun |HomePage|Showbiz|Bizarre

oh and here is a video link

MSN Video

Re: Swayze- five weeks to live

This was all over the newspapers and other media last week
    The doctors interviewed on the tv said that the newspapers were being pessimistic and that no time scale had ever been given and due to the fact that he is relatively fit he could well fight it and live for a very long time indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    Has anybody heard about this?

Dirty dancing star- Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, that is predicted to kill him in approxiametly five weeks....

I nearly choked on my bourbon when i read it in one of my magazines...it's going to be a terrible loss...

such a talented man and last night during my drama performance they played unchained melody and all i could think of was swayze in ghost...

if you want to find out more, this is the link to the story in the SUN.

Patrick Swayze | Actor | Dying of cancer | The Sun |HomePage|Showbiz|Bizarre

oh and here is a video link

MSN Video
    What the hell are you doing drinking bourbon stick to lager, much better for you.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    This was all over the newspapers and other media last week
    The doctors interviewed on the tv said that the newspapers were being pessimistic and that no time scale had ever been given and due to the fact that he is relatively fit he could well fight it and live for a very long time indeed
    Extremely unlikely he will live for a very long time. My mother died from this 20 years ago.

The average time from diagnosis to death with pancreatic cancer is about 6 weeks (or it was then, things might have improved a bit since). Survival rates are poor as the cancer is difficult to detect until pain or bleeding are experienced as it's so deep in the body, by which time the tumour is usually fairly advanced.

My mother's was detected early, because she had a hernia op in the July. They started chemo, but by early September decided that it wasn't working and was making her feel too ill, and ceased the chemo and treated her palliatively. She was fairly comfortable until about mid November. She died in the January. Although it's a relatively quick death in terms of cancer, it's also very unpleasent.

And for all you smokers out there looking for an excuse to quit, smoking is a major contributory factor. Wiki link for anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    Ah, you're a bourbon drinker. I'm a scotch man m'self - nice smoky single malt from Islay...

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Extremely unlikely he will live for a very long time. My mother died from this 20 years ago.
    #
    I was merely quoting what his doctors said on the tv last week as in the fact that the papers were blowing it all out of proportion as usual
    Having said that i dont know anything about the disease I'm sorry about your mother though
    Last edited by ducasi; 13th-March-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: fix typo

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    What the hell are you doing drinking bourbon stick to lager, much better for you.

DTS Dave XXX XXX
    well if you want to buy me one the next time i see you thats great and obviously i meant chocolate bourbon lol it could have been one of the nice chocolate german wafers but dad wont let me buy them anymore because i eat too many of them in one go and theyr'e are none left for him!

that is slightly off topic i know b

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    #
    I was merely quoting what his doctors said on the tv last week as in the fact that the papers were blowing it all out of proportion as usual

So what you saying the thread should be retitled ?

There knocking the guy for smoking for god sake wether he has 4 weeks and 6 days or 4 months what that got to do with anything

why do people have to get older

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    So what you saying the thread should be retitled ?
    nope it was just a comment
    There knocking the guy for smoking for god sake wether he has 4 weeks and 6 days or 4 months what that got to do with anything
    I kinda get the feeling quiting smoking now would be a bit like changing deck chairs on the titanic

why do people have to get older

I agree i think we should all stay at about 30 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Ah, you're a bourbon drinker. I'm a scotch man m'self - nice smoky single malt from Islay...
    Bourbon/Sour Mash for me

And I was really gutted to hear this news at work last week (note: not on the forum first, I did note its abesence!), his death will indeed be a great loss.

Working in a palliative backgroud, as Twirly said, this form is rarely detected until the cancer is in its late stages, even today, and diagnosis usually gives no more than a couple of months as it is often diagnosed because it spread into other organs. It is so sad.

Thread Information