Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cricitising your dance partner.

The Oracle

Re: Cricitising your dance partner.

I would include myself in that group. I know I have things wrong with my technique.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Yes - It's what I did when I was taxiing, anyway.
    i wondered why the taxis stopped cricitising me after 6 weeks. Has taken me 3 years to find that out. I assumed that no news was good news. With hindsight I know I was a mess.

If you don't confine yourself to advising Beginners, then where do you draw the line on who you feedback to?
    Maybe the benniners feedback could be extended to 6 months?

There are people who've been dancing longer than me that will still bounce or grip my hand, for instance. Should I, a mere young whippersnapper , have given feedback to them when I was taxiing?

If not, then what should I have said to the new Intermediate who did exactly the same thing?

So it I think I'm saying I'd leave it to the teacher (in the absence of Intermediate Taxis).
    If there were Intermediate Taxis, then they could offer unasked for advice from 6 months and above. There are lots of advanced taxis in London, and so I'm sure there must be likewise all over the country.

It depends on how much ceroc are prepared to fund and execute the idea, and how much they care about the quality of their dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Do you include yourself in the 'some dancers' group Astro?
    There is nothing wrong with with reaching a plateau and staying there IMO.

I was talking about dancers who exhibit the basic faults that we talk about on the forum - probably because they are not on the forum.

Yes, i admit i have been stuck on plateaus due to faults like, for instance tension problems and taking too bigger steps.

I probably still have lots of faults, but how would I know I have them, and how would I know what they were without being told?

Please feel free to post them up Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    ..Maybe the beginners feedback could be extended to 6 months?
    If there were Intermediate Taxis, then they could offer unasked for advice from 6 months and above. There are lots of advanced taxis in London, and so I'm sure there must be likewise all over the country.

.............I probably still have lots of faults, but how would I know I have them, and how would I know what they were without being told?
    I'd hate to see a situation where teachers/taxis spent the night correcting 'faults' - I doubt it would be positive for most people's confidence.

I think that once you have the basics the quest for self-improvement must come from within and you need to seek advice. If you feel that you have things that could be improved (and most of us do) then an approach to the teacher to ask for some comments at the end of a dance with them will draw these out.

..There is nothing wrong with with reaching a plateau and staying there IMO.

I was talking about dancers who exhibit the basic faults that we talk about on the forum - probably because they are not on the forum.
    These people have simply reached their plateau earlier than some, however, if they are happy with the standard of their dancing and are not hurting others why burst their bubble?

Dancing is mostly a social activity. Social interaction often gets very strained where there is an atmosphere of judgement or criticism - regardless of how well meaning this might be

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    I'd hate to see a situation where teachers/taxis spent the night correcting 'faults' - I doubt it would be positive for most people's confidence.

I think that once you have the basics the quest for self-improvement must come from within and you need to seek advice. If you feel that you have things that could be improved (and most of us do) then an approach to the teacher to ask for some comments at the end of a dance with them will draw these out.
    The teacher can't get round everyone though

These people have simply reached their plateau earlier than some, however, if they are happy with the standard of their dancing and are not hurting others why burst their bubble?
    But I'm talking about the ones who have reached a plateau and are hurting others, that's the whole point. I'm talking about yanking, dangerous drops, gripping hands, claws in the back, being thrown into the next couple etc.,

Dancing is mostly a social activity. Social interaction often gets very strained where there is an atmosphere of judgement or criticism - regardless of how well meaning this might be
    Oh I agree, I'm not talking pedantic, I'm talking health and safety.

The teacher can't get round everyone though
    You're right. But everyone doesn't need advice all of the time. There are also taxis (where I dance we don't have them), or simply someone you've danced with that you trust. The main point is you have to elicit the information, since otherwise even the teacher may not volunteer it.
    But I'm talking about the ones who have reached a plateau and are hurting others, that's the whole point. I'm talking about yanking, dangerous drops, gripping hands, claws in the back, being thrown into the next couple etc.,

Oh I agree, I'm not talking pedantic, I'm talking health and safety.
    In this case you have to approach the venue manager/teacher direct. Anyone that's a danger needs this explained to them and that's the role of the 'management'. At my local venue we respond very quickly to comments from the floor about menaces and I'm sure every venue would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    In this case you have to approach the venue manager/teacher direct. Anyone that's a danger needs this explained to them and that's the role of the 'management'. At my local venue we respond very quickly to comments from the floor about menaces and I'm sure every venue would be the same.
    But most people don't complain, they just avoid said person and that person becomes oscriticised.

It's a shame when there is a shortage of leads.

The idea is for more taxis to be able to re educate these dancers.

Strangely, they are not often beginners, but have been dancing, as I said before, a few years. They have somehow slipped through the net.

They have somehow slipped through the net.
    Could they have slipped through the net for this reason though?

But most people don't complain, they just avoid said person and that person becomes oscriticised.
    If someone seriously hurt me, then I would tell them. If it was an accident, I'd hope they'd be upset and try to be more careful.

Thread Information