Thread: How do you link to other threads?

How do you link to other threads?

Was wondering if anyone can tell me how to insert a link to a post from a different thread?

The Dashing Moderator

Re: How do you link to other threads?

Hi Tiger Feet,

There's lots of useful info like this in the Frequently Asked Questions (or FAQ) pages. Look for "Help" on the menu at the top (next to User CP) and then click on FAQ.

If I want to insert a quote which links to another post, like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    I thought she attended one of your workshops, but hasn't ever asked you to dance again?
    then what I do is this:
    • Go to the post you want to link to.
    • press the Quote button
    • This will bring you to the "reply to thread" box - but in the wrong thread. The text will start with "[QUOTE]" and end with "[/QUOTE]"
    • Select all the text from the Reply to box and hit Ctrl-C to Copy
    • Without saving any changes to this post, press your browser's back button and go back to where you were
    • Go to the thread you want to reply to, and press the "Post Reply" button, or the Quote button if you want to quote a post on this thread
    • use Ctrl-V to paste. This will start with something like [QUOTE=Tiger Feet;459384] - the number (459384 in this case) is the ID of the post it's linking to.
    • Add your own text and make the post as normal.

However a quicker way seems to be this:
    • On the post you want to link to, press the "multiquote" button. This is the button to the right of the "Quote" button, with a "99" quote and a + sign
    • Now go to the thread/post you want to reply to, and press the "Post Reply" or Quote" button.
    • At the bottom of the grey box containing the mesage and smilies, there should be some text saying somthing like"You have selected 1 post that is not part of this thread. Quote this post as well, or deselect this post. "
    • Select the "Quote this post as well" option to include the quote from the other thread.
    Note that using the "multi-quote" button only once seems to work in this case, but the "Quote" button doesn't do this.
    Love dance, will travel

Re: How do you link to other threads?

The way I do it is complicated, so if anyone knows the correct way to do it, please jump in! (Besides, I'd like to know an easier way! )

First open the thread you want to link to in a separate tab or window.
    Go to the post you want to link to.
    Click on the [quote] button.
    Type a few letters (at least 5 ) into the reply window. (The 5 letters I usually choose are "sorry" in case I accidentally send it . )
    DON'T SEND it: Left-click [Preview Post]
    Look up at your preview pane. There should be a little arrow to the right of the name of the forumite you are quoting. If you can, right-click on it, and select the option: "copy link location". If not, left-click to follow the link, then highlight the link location it sends you to, and copy it.
    You still with me? ...you still awake?
    Now you can close that tab or window, and open the real posting pane that you will want to send.
    Start your message, up to the link.
    Above the pane that you type your message into are a slew of icons. Left-click on the one that looks like a globe with a chain link below it (it is just under the "smilies" icon on my screen)
    It will ask for the url for your link. That is where you paste the address that you copied. Left-click[OK]
    It should then drop something like this:
    http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/f...tml#post282230
    into your text, and throw you to the far right of your pane. Don't panic.
    Highlight the link, and type in more appropriate text, like
    Go Here
    Hit [enter] to go to the next line.
    Finish you message.
    Preview it, and test the link.
    - V.

Thread Information