Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Evolution of 'your' Dance Shoes

Blog Entries

Re: The Evolution of 'your' Dance Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Yours are in much better nick than mine.. I actually threw 5 pairs of mine away yesterday... oh dear... i'm feeling an overwhelming urge to replace them now....
    You didn't see what I threw out & gave away last year when I moved. Plus I carefully disguised the worn shoes in the pic.

Snap! High arches are a pain, I rarely get shoes where my arch gets any support, I can usually get two fingers between mine and the shoe!
    There was a handmade shoe stall at Move It last weekend. I asked the lady if they could customise shoes with arch support. Sadly they couldn't - she said there was no demand for it. Ironically, she then removed her own shoes, to show me that she used the same inserts! I'm tempted to try some from the Werner Kern comfort range, at some point.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Ironically, she then removed her own shoes, to show me that she used the same inserts!
    Which inserts do you use?

The ones I use are 'ok' but I'm sure there must be better ones?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

I have Gaitway for the trainers - these are the ones that the lady had. I got them from Schol. They just go under the heel & arch. I find that they don't suit dance shoes, as they're quite wide.

For the dance shoes, I've got Orthaheel Slimfit from Boots. They're not as firm, but they fit all the way under your feet, so you get some padding under the ball of your foot. Nice & comfy.

Hmmm so many shoes to choose from

I started with Freed split soled leather dance trainers with a crossover elastic fastening instead of laces. These remain my absolute favourite, and I am now onto my second pair! (does this count as pair two?)

Second pair was 2 inch Bloch heeled plain leather shoes, I just could not get comfortable dancing in them. Being 5'10' and female was a real pain when I first started dancing. These were quickly given to a dancing friend's daughter, she loves them!

Third pair - identical to number two above but with 1/2 inch heels. Bliss! I wear these with skirts.

Fourth pair - flat strappy sandal types, bought from Breeze last year. I keep these for "best".

Fifth pair - I needed some sparkley ones for an Xmas freestyle. Bought a pair of 1 inch silver sandals, they lasted three songs. Now relegated to my cupboard!

Not bad for my first year of dancing....six pairs of shoes.....

... I would love to see Lily B's collection. ...
    Er ... they won't all fit in a photo. In excess of 50 at the last count but that's including ballet slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyB View Post
    In excess of 50 at the last count but that's including ballet slippers.
    So does that mean nearer 300 or 400?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    ............I now need to add arch supports in most of my shoes, since getting Plantar Fasciitis (aka heel spur) a couple of years ago which was very painful
    ......Comes of having high arches, apparently.....
    Yup ........ I have high arches

........Snap! High arches are a pain, I rarely get shoes where my arch gets any support, I can usually get two fingers between mine and the shoe!....
    Yup ........ me too

I originally had them made for me at the hospital when I had Plantar Fasciitis - I was in so much pain I could hardly walk. The doctor said it was caused from too much driving and wearing flat shoes too much (and being over weight didn't help). I am OK now but need the supports to make sure it doesn't come back

I have Gaitway for the trainers - these are the ones that the lady had. I got them from Schol. They just go under the heel & arch. I find that they don't suit dance shoes, as they're quite wide.

For the dance shoes, I've got Orthaheel Slimfit from Boots. They're not as firm, but they fit all the way under your feet, so you get some padding under the ball of your foot. Nice & comfy.
    Yup, both those are good, I have them too. The harder they are the better support they are.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had Plantar Fasciitis - I was in so much pain I could hardly walk. The doctor said it was caused from too much driving and wearing flat shoes too much (and being over weight didn't help).
    I've had that recently (I'm still suffering, albiet less so) and 'I' was told it was from too much high impact aerobics and walking ... I didn't have a problem when I drove everywhere and was heavier... you can't win!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

1. Latin shoes - suede soles with a cuban heel.

I wore my old pair on my first night of ceroc and always have a pair with me when I go to ceroc. A short list - I love dancing in them, so see no need to get anything else.

I now need to add arch supports in most of my shoes, since getting Plantar Fasciitis (aka heel spur) a couple of years ago which was very painful

Me too. Comes of having high arches, apparently.

Snap! High arches are a pain, I rarely get shoes where my arch gets any support, I can usually get two fingers between mine and the shoe!
    I've had that recently (I'm still suffering, albiet less so) and 'I' was told it was from too much high impact aerobics and walking ... I didn't have a problem when I drove everywhere and was heavier... you can't win!
    Yup ........ I have high arches

I originally had them made for me at the hospital when I had Plantar Fasciitis - I was in so much pain I could hardly walk. The doctor said it was caused from too much driving and wearing flat shoes too much (and being over weight didn't help). I am OK now but need the supports to make sure it doesn't come back

Yup, both those are good, I have them too. The harder they are the better support they are.
    I've had Planter Fasciitis once in my right heel. It's extremely painful. It came on the next morning after an energetic freestlye, but there was a little warning too, before the freestyle.

I now know not to go dancing if I ever feel a twinge in my heel.

I have high arches too.

Plus I never wear heels.

As a teenager I never wore flats. I used to hobble about in heels - gets your calves.

I read something about a foot expert saying the optimal shoe for healthy feet has a 2 and a half inch heel.

Maybe I will buy some shoes for wearing away from the dancefloor with a heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I've had Planter Fasciitis once in my right heel. It's extremely painful. It came on the next morning after an energetic freestlye, but there was a little warning too, before the freestyle........
    Unfortunately Plantar Fasciitis can last anything from 6 months to 2 years and you need to exercise the foot and calf muscles every day to assist healing
    Last edited by Minnie M; 16th-March-2008 at 02:30 AM.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately Plantar Fasciitis can last anything from 6 months to 2 years and you need to exercise the foot and calf muscles every day to assist healing
    Excellent link, Minnie. I've been doing those exact exercises. I've also found they help relieve the pain when it's happening.

Fortunately mine disapeared after a week of not dancing.

What i did do though was to buy a new pair of Blochs. I thought the cushioning may have worn out, but they weren't very old.

Then I threw out two pairs of normal shoes. You know how you get into the habit of just putting on your most comfy pair? Well mine had worn down on one side of the heels (flat shoes)

Also another tip is never to wear the same shoes 2 days running, as they need time to air out properly.

The link doesn't mention what size heels are best. Says walking on tip toes is bad for it, so not too high heels I would say.

I definately had it as it was worse when I got out of bed. i couldn't walk on the right heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Fortunately mine disapeared after a week of not dancing........
    You are very very lucky, and also sensible enough to take it as a warning as it is very painful and difficult to get rid of when you get the full force of it.

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I'd love to buy a pair of these... However, I have been thwarted in my attempts. Twice I've tried them on at Southport to find that not only was a size 9 too small, but a size 9½ was even smaller. The folks at Kingdom of Dance didn't seem to care especially.

With random sizes like these, what chance do I have ordering them mail order (especially when it can take months to get them?)
    I ordered my Aris Allens from DanceStore.com - Swing Dance Shoes, Swing Dance Clothes, Accessories, excellent service and only took a couple of weeks to arrive from America. The current US exchange rate makes it ideal to order them from overseas. I found the sizes ran true to normal shoes sizes - ie a US size 8.5 corresponds to a UK size 8, and so on.

The Oracle

Er ... they won't all fit in a photo
    Hopefully the next version of Google Earth will help

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    To paraphrase Orwell:

"If you want to imagine DavidB's future, imagine a dance shoe, stamping on his foot, forever."

Commercial Operator

Er ... they won't all fit in a photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    Lily B's... the only shoe collection with it's own longitude/lattitude grid reference!!

lol... and she's not famed for giving lattitude!!!

You are very very lucky, and also sensible enough to take it as a warning as it is very painful and difficult to get rid of when you get the full force of it.
    I'll be very vigilant. Thankyou

I remember I bought some gel soles from Superdrug to fit inside my ordinary shoes as it was too painful to walk about without them.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Lily B's... the only shoe collection with it's own longitude/lattitude grid reference!!
    The only shoe collection visible from space ...

lol... and she's not famed for giving lattitude!!!
    I certainly won't be after this ...

Thread Information