View Poll Results: Are Housewives Becoming Extinct?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and that's a Good Thing

4 18.18%
  • Yes and that's a Bad Thing

6 27.27%
  • No

8 36.36%
  • Where is my dinner, Woman?

6 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Housewives Extinct?

Are Housewives Extinct?

I was having a conversation with my daughter this morning about the jobs people do, which led to this:

Junior - "What is a housewife?"

Me - "Someone who looks after their home and children rather than going out to work."

Junior - "Like in the olden days?"

It got me thinking. Are housewives a dying breed? Will they be extinct by the time she grows up? If so, is this a Good Thing or a Bad Thing? Discuss.

Re: Are Housewives Extinct?

Judging by the amount that drive Chelsea Tractors around here, I'd say that they weren't a dying breed.

Maybe housewives will decrease in a few years because more women seem to be working. I'd rather work then be a housewife.

Although not personally acquianted with any of them, the only wives and mothers I know of who don't work are married to men in the City who earn whopping great salaries and can afford to keep them. All my friends with children work, at least part-time. They have no choice in the matter.

I do have one male friend however who is a house-husband. Both children are now at school, so I think that he's trying to find other things to do now to fill his day, and hopefully earn some money, whilst still being there for them at the end of the school day, and having time and energy to run the house (he also has ME, so often isn't well).

Welllllllllllllllllll...we're not quite extinct, although I'm tempted to drive off a cliff due to the endless drudgery and then there will be one less and we'll be nearer the endangered species list.

I suppose I'm only a 'housewife' when I have to tick a box on a form. My husband is in the merchant navy and works away for five months at a time. I've an 8 yr old, 3yr old, 2yr old and a 14wk old and no time to do housework. In fact, I've just hired a cleaner because I can't seem to make any headway with anything. I am, therefore, a rubbish housewife! I also have very poor alphabetising skills .

I can't wait to get a job and my husband would love to be a house-husband (and he'd be a thousand times better at it than me) but, alas, I couldn't keep him in the style to which we hope to become accustomed (when the kids move out, obviously).

Should be genetically brilliant at housework though because it's all my mother and her sisters ever do or talk about and no-one is allowed to breathe in their homes (no friends or hobbies to make them interesting people!).

Once had a woman in the playground ask me how I do my ironing. She was actually serious. I now avoid the playground and wait on the pavement

The prospect of being a housewife... I cannot think of a better reason to shoot myself in the head, right now

I'd love to be, if I had kids and a situation where we weren't to become destitute because of it. I love to cook. And I love kids. I'm quite good at ironing while watching the TV. The place is clean (but not always tidy). So I think I'd make a reasonable housewife. But only as a stay-at-home mum (which in my opinion is a full time, very stressful job anyway). Not for the sake of staying at home, which would drive me nuts.

Being a stay at home mum is fine when the kids are under five, but once they're at school full time then I can't see the justification. I recently asked a FTM what she did during the day and she replied "well it gives me more time for my hobbies..."

My mum worked full time as well as having four kids. We all pitched in with the housework and as a result I have three brothers who can all cook, clean, iron and sew a button on - surely that's a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post
    Being a stay at home mum is fine when the kids are under five, but once they're at school full time then I can't see the justification. I recently asked a FTM what she did during the day and she replied "well it gives me more time for my hobbies..."

My mum worked full time as well as having four kids. We all pitched in with the housework and as a result I have three brothers who can all cook, clean, iron and sew a button on - surely that's a good thing?
    I can't see the justification, but it's not really for anyone else to judge. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If someone has enough money to support staying at home and their husband is in agreement, it's not really anyone's business. It'd be lovely to have more time for hobbies.

My hubby swears he learned his housekeeping skills at scouts, so my daughter will have to go there .

The difficulty of running a household on one income is a direct effect of Womens' Lib.

When it was normal for only one person in the house to work, the level of income that produced had to be enough to run a household - otherwise everyone would have starved or died of exposure.

Now two people need to work to run a househol and the quality of life is no better.

Extrapolating - Childrens' Lib is going to make matters worse still

Mine was still there last time I rattled the chain.

Please, please don't tell Jacqui I said that or my next Bud won't be cold enough

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    I also have very poor alphabetising skills .
    This must be awful! I can't stress enough the importance of having everything in alphabetical order. If only you had a close relative to take care of this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    it's all my mother and her sisters ever do or talk about and no-one is allowed to breathe in their homes (no friends or hobbies to make them interesting people!).
    I read this at first as your mother and your sister Though if the cap fits....

Being a stay at home mum is fine when the kids are under five, but once they're at school full time then I can't see the justification.
    'cos full time at school is 9-3, with 7 weeks summer holidays and umpteen other holidays / in-service days etc. If you can find a job that fits in with that, you're a better woman than I am. I'm fairly sick of the struggle myself.

They're an endangered species.... and some have now mutated and have an appendage! (am wasn't sure if I was allowed to say the P word).
    I feel sorry for those who can't afford to do it - even if only for the first year of a child's life.
    I think it's great that men are allowing their wives to work (if that's what they want to do) and stay home to look after the kids (if that's what they want to do). It can only enrich the child's life to have a Dad who wants to be involved in their upbringing (in a positive way).
    Although I believe there's something inherent about Mum that Dad just cant do and be in the same way. Even kids that have stay at home Dad's still cry for their Mum when they get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    The difficulty of running a household on one income is a direct effect of Womens' Lib.
    I think it is more to do with the world wars, where women took up previously male dominate jobs, to help the war effort and then wanted to keep working.

When it was normal for only one person in the house to work, the level of income that produced had to be enough to run a household - otherwise everyone would have starved or died of exposure.
    Come on now, I know many single income families who have not as yet died of exposure and do not starve.

Now two people need to work to run a househol and the quality of life is no better.
    IMHO not true, quality of life is far higher, let's try a check list...

When I was a kid...

One pair of shoes a year (normally hand me down's re-soled)
    Second hand school uniform, normally from my older borother with patched holes...
    One christmas present, a cheap one.
    Toys were only bought for Birthdays and Christmas, and even then they were normally made up of scraps of wood. Cards were hand made.
    A car was seen as a luxury, so we walked, or we saved up for a couple of years doing part time jobs to buy a second hand bike.
    Noone I knew expected to own thier own home.
    No tele.

Expectations have risen... so 2 people go out to work in a family, for stuff that, is just stuff...

They then say they struggle, so let's see...

They have :
    A washing machine
    A tele
    A fridge
    A car
    Maybe are buying a house
    Bikes for the kids

etc. etc.

So housewifes can be housewifes... if they choose to be.
    It is only materialism and not basic survival that stops them.

The bordom factor does come into it as well, as again, people expect more.. As long as you accept it is raised expectations, then sure go out to work during "school time" .

Commercial Operator

It needs to be justified? I'm proud to be a housewife.

My children are almost all teenagers now but why does that mean I should go to work? I am happy at home. I take pride in keeping my house clean and tidy, providing my family with healthy nutritious meals and doing all the little things that get neglected simply due to a lack of time when working. I know that my Husband is coming home to a pleasant environment every night and a happy wife. That makes me feel proud. I am not stressed because I am trying to juggle work, kids and the home. I have time for everyone and we all benefit. Sure if I went out to work then we would have much more money coming into the house and we would be able to do more things but at what cost to the family? For me - for us - me working isn't really a viable option. It's about getting the balance right for your own personal circumstances.

All of my children are fully capable of cooking and cleaning. I consider it my duty as a parent to ensure they are able to take care of themselves when they leave my nest. If they were not able to do this then I would have failed them.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

The bordom factor does come into it as well, as again, people expect more.. As long as you accept it is raised expectations, then sure go out to work during "school time" .

Absolutely. I was a FTM for twelve years and I loved it and would hate to have had to go to work and miss out on all the time and experiences I had with my children.
    Now they are nearly both into their teens so obviously more independant but I still only work 'school hours' I want to be there when they come home from school to greet them and give them a hug.
    Yes, I have been lucky enough to have a husband that earns a good wage and also wanted that for his children. I can sympathise with those that really can't afford not to work, and single parents that have no choice. What I can't understand is those that have children and could afford to live on one wage comfortably, but choose to have them and then go back to work full time within weeks of the birth. Get someone else to nurture their children and sometimes be there to put them to bed. What is the point of having kids if you are not going to be there to be a mother to them?
    (Cruella puts on her body armour and presses submit post)

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    'cos full time at school is 9-3, with 7 weeks summer holidays and umpteen other holidays / in-service days etc. If you can find a job that fits in with that, you're a better woman than I am. I'm fairly sick of the struggle myself.
    I did, I work in a school.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

IMHO not true, quality of life is far higher, let's try a check list...

When I was a kid...

One pair of shoes a year (normally hand me down's re-soled)
    Second hand school uniform, normally from my older borother with patched holes...
    One christmas present, a cheap one.
    Toys were only bought for Birthdays and Christmas, and even then they were normally made up of scraps of wood. Cards were hand made.
    A car was seen as a luxury, so we walked, or we saved up for a couple of years doing part time jobs to buy a second hand bike.
    Noone I knew expected to own thier own home.
    No tele.

Expectations have risen... so 2 people go out to work in a family, for stuff that, is just stuff...

They then say they struggle, so let's see...

They have :
    A washing machine
    A tele
    A fridge
    A car
    Maybe are buying a house
    Bikes for the kids

etc. etc.

What’s that got to do with the price of eggs ?

You were poor , so ?

When I was a kid we had 3 teles went to Florida long before people went to Florida etc etc…

Nothing wrong with wanting more. Most people ‘aim’ to have at least a life style they grew up in

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    It needs to be justified? I'm proud to be a housewife.
    No one needs to justify being a house wife

Blog Entries

Surely the whole point of "Women's Lib" was to empower women to choose what we want to do? It was to open up opportunities that were previously unavailable - not to restrict our choices in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    No one needs to justify being a house wife
    Exactly.

At the moment, I'm a housewife. But I'm not a very good one....

I think the term 'Housewife' has now changed to 'stay at home Mum'! and I am one!

I wish I was able to live a life of lunches and hobbies! Unfortunately, the life I have and that of other stay at home Mums I know is far from as easy - most of the time it is mind numbingly dull, hugely stressful and extremely tedious. Why do we do it? For all sorts of reasons and reasons that no one should ever judge. You can never know anothers full story as to the choices they make, and providing their children are happy and healthy what does it matter if a Mum chooses to work or stay at home?

Housewifes or working Mums, House Fathers or Working Fathers we are all bloody fantastic, as bringing up children is THE hardest challenge a human being will ever face and to do a good job of it is an enormous achievement - IMHO!

Thread Information