Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Your wasting my time, enjoy dancing by yourself, see ya!

Re: Your wasting my time, enjoy dancing by yourself, see ya!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I'm not going to give a 'supposed to' or otherwise on this one. I'll just say that I don't if I can help it - straightened leading arms are an evil that I try my level best to avoid at all times. A straight arm has neither the strength nor the control of a bent one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Right. So guys shorter than you will often need to use a straight arm during a turn, while guys who are your height or taller will not. It also depends on the distance between you and your leader. It's all about the geometry of the situation. Pythagoras and all that.
    I've been off dancing for 3 weeks, but when I get back, I will observe carefully from the sidelines how the experienced leads hold their arms.
    I agree. The aim point is just above the follower's head. Guys of all heights can get that wrong, in either direction. I know I do.
    If it's just the once, due to wrong height assessments, I'm not bothered.

I gather you're complaining about a specific individual.
    No. Quite a few spring to mind. Say about 2%, but them I avoid them, so it may be more.

One change a follower can make in this situation is to have a more robust frame during assisted turns, such that if the leader is pushing her hand towards her head, she matches that force.
    Yes, this is possible with beginners. With beginners, they grow out of it too and become proficient.

That's not always possible, and may not be with this guy. I don't know if you'll find that preferable to bending your knees and/or spinning off center.
    These specific guys have been dancing for years and they will not give an inch. I have to reduce my frame otherwise may get a serious injury.

I would much, much, much prefer to sit out.

Occasionally I might check up on one every 6 months, but they are still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I agree. The aim point is just above the follower's head. Guys of all heights can get that wrong, in either direction. I know I do.
    It's actually much more common with taller guys we get lazy and used to not lifting our hands that far... I know some followers emphisise it with "dancing sarcasm" by really pushing the hand up when turning under it. (as opposed to giving upwards connection)

...But on occasion some followers do pull the hand down on top of themselves Haven't worked out what's causing it yet, but it has happened often enough that it's not a one-off phenomenon. {do doo be dodo, phenomenon, do do be do...}

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    It's actually much more common with taller guys we get lazy and used to not lifting our hands that far...

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    It's actually much more common with taller guys we get lazy and used to not lifting our hands that far... I know some followers emphisise it with "dancing sarcasm" by really pushing the hand up when turning under it. (as opposed to giving upwards connection)

...But on occasion some followers do pull the hand down on top of themselves Haven't worked out what's causing it yet, but it has happened often enough that it's not a one-off phenomenon. {do doo be dodo, phenomenon, do do be do...}
    I wasn't reallty concerned with this, it was just a side issue.

There is no 'real' link between not been able to turn comfortably under a leads hand and getting boffed on the head as they are not mutually inclusive.

In fact the guys I'm talking about hardly ever hit me on the head.

I've been thinking about what they are doing wrong. Could it be the "mixing bowl" effect? - using the whole arm instead of just using the wrist and hand which makes turning under them so uncomfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    I danced with a woman once who had done Salsa for years and was prob good at it but her MJ was terrible. She danced in Salsa timings.

I got her for a final lesson in to freestyle one night and TRYED to dance with her. Now I have patiance with beginners etc but this woman was tutting at me every time she was pulled out of her Salsa timings. She was also starting to try and back lead herself. Halfway through the dance I just kind of gave up and let her do what she wanted back leading and what have you. At the end of the dance she sneered something about "dancing should be for your partner. Maybe you should dance with a chair in future"!!!!!!

Anyhow a few weeks later I saw her again and in the freestyle I walked over and offered my hand. She tutted and stood up. At that point I grabbed her chair, took it to the edge of the dance floor and had a great dance with it, got a round of applause, took it back and told her I thought her chair was very good, maybe it could give her some points.

Have not seen her since.

I wish I'd seen the expression on her face!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I've been thinking about what they are doing wrong. Could it be the "mixing bowl" effect? - using the whole arm instead of just using the wrist and hand which makes turning under them so uncomfortable?
    Probably stepping away from you as you start your turn or are half-way through it. But I'm just guessing from the symptoms.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but someone told my mate at Kidderminster half way through a dance:

"So when are you going to start doing Ceroc moves?"

Oh dear...

He nearly walked off but he stayed with it though he worked out why that person was sitting on the sidelines getting few dances.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but someone told my mate at Kidderminster half way through a dance:

"So when are you going to start doing Ceroc moves?"

Oh dear...

He nearly walked off but he stayed with it though he worked out why that person was sitting on the sidelines getting few dances.
    I've had that one before... normally combined with the "startled bunny" expression... never thought to take it in a derogatory way

Thread Information