View Poll Results: What do you think of Double Trouble

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a girl and I love to share

27 27.55%
  • I'm a girl and I would love to share but haven't had a chance

8 8.16%
  • I'm a girl and I'm not sharing (press here Wendy!)

6 6.12%
  • I'm a man and I love working with both hands

24 24.49%
  • I'm a man and I would love to but haven't had the chance

8 8.16%
  • I'm a one woman man

18 18.37%
  • Double Trouble is a load of nonsense and shouldn't be allowed

7 7.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Double Trouble

Re: Double Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    I love watching Double Trouble and I enjoy dabbling with it, but I really don't feel I'm stylish enough for it yet.
    If anything, I'd consider double trouble less style-dependant than single trouble.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    If anything, I'd consider double trouble less style-dependant than single trouble.
    Errr... whysat then?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Errr... whysat then?
    The appeal seems to be predominantly be due to challenge, novelty, and intricate weavy moves, rather than style. In particular, the guy typically just stands still and conducts, and this suffices. It's more style-dependant for the women, though stylish women can still make more impact in single trouble than double.
    (IMO, etc - matter of taste)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    The appeal seems to be predominantly be due to challenge, novelty, and intricate weavy moves, rather than style. In particular, the guy typically just stands still and conducts, and this suffices. It's more style-dependant for the women, though stylish women can still make more impact in single trouble than double.
    (IMO, etc - matter of taste)
    Hmmm, I think I agree that's what most trios do, but I also think that just means that double trouble isn't as advanced as other areas.

Realistically, there's no reason why DT shouldn't be stylish, or interpret the music. In fact, there's IMO more scope for style, as you can do two different styles with two different ladies - eg. lots of spins with one, and more bluesy with the other. You can break with one, whilst the other keeps dancing, to give contrast. And so on.

Admittedly, the guy doesn't get much chance to move around and show off His Wonderful Style, but with most guys that's probably a bonus.

I'm not a big fan of the "tricks" some trios seem to use (swapping leads, all this intricate weave-y stuff etc.). But then, but I'm not a big fan of tricks in normal couple-based dancing.

Maybe I'm just a grump at heart. ("maybe", he says )

The double trouble routines that I have most loved have been the two "Thats impossible" ones I have seen. I also treasure the memory of some superb stylish displays. Mostly this has come from the followers who have time to play, but, because the leader has to do more thinking they do less moving, and the "less is more" syndrome kicks in, and they can look very stylish.

i love double trouble i cant lead alot of moves but i love to follow it too!

i follow either if its a guy or a lady leading either way its fun as i love to follow any way i can

I love double trouble, it's always great fun. It works best for me if the other lady and I are matched in height, shape and style, which is a bit of a tall order, but it can be fun with anyone.

A workshop is a must and weekenders normally have one somewhere. Best to do it with fixed partners that you know so you actually get to practice it afterwards. I think the men find it rather intimidating to be grabbed by two ladies and asked, so it's best to check out your 'victim' is up for it! Gentleman normally enjoy the double lay-back. I can't imagine why.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post

So is it a gimick?
    Should it be laughed off the floor?
    Does it exist in other dance styles? (sure I've seen a choreographed Tango clip with two women and one man)
    Anyone know the history?
    Well I started doing triples coz I was a bit bored with the music being played and there were 2 girls standing near me....
    I did not have much of an idea of what to do at first as I had never seen Ceroc triples before when I first started dancing with 2 girls.
    Since then I found out it was sometimes done in rock and roll.

I have been doing triples since 1994, it does not replace a cool dance with a cool partner to a cool track

It does however provide for me a bit of fun and something different to break up the evening. As long as you are cheeky, have fun and the girls have fun, which normally happens.

More recently I have taught triples classes since 1999 in Australia (because there was a demand) I have also danced with LilyB and Janet in the 2004 Ceroc champs in London, which was lots of fun (which is where my Advatar comes from - the double supergirl). This also proves the height of the 2 girls need not be the same, as Janet was tall and LilyB... less tall.
    I would say it is seen as a "fun" catogory, or maybe a gimick/gimmick. It still requires a lot of skill on the part of the guy and the girls to be done well.

Most nights I do not dance triples at all, some nights, if the music gets a bit samey... I give triples a go for a track or 2 if I can spot 2 girls who I think would be able to do it well.

Martin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Most nights I do not dance triples at all, some nights, if the music gets a bit samey... I give triples a go for a track or 2 if I can spot 2 girls who I think would be able to do it well.

Martin
    Tell me Martin, what do you look for to spot 2 girls who you think can do it well.?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Tell me Martin, what do you look for to spot 2 girls who you think can do it well.?
    The short version...

What I personally look for is girls who can spin on the spot, do not step back too far and take their own weight when stepping back.

The explaination...

Reasons being, if both girls travel when they spin/double spin/triple spin, I could find that my arms do not stretch that far, as I cannot follow them both if they are going in different directions.
    Again if they take big steps back in opposite directions it makes it difficult.
    If one girl does not take her own weight when stepping back, I am having to compensate on one side (tug hard with one arm and not with the other) - this one is probably just me, I like a smooth and gentle dance not a tug of war.

Bonus points... optional...

It also helps if the girl is "controllable" i.e. can adapt their style to match someone else and not "always" going over the top with individual style regardless of situation, to the point that (although fun in a one to one dance) the girls would not match and I world be working harder on one side of the triple to bring it back on track.

Commercial Operator

Marks out of ten - id give her one

Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    pah.. I would give her several

Blog Entries

Commercial Operator

show off

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    No one likes a smug git.

I voted "I'm a one woman man" but I did have a rather unique attempt at double trouble in Aberdeen a month or so back. Caro was Leading myself and mcJester (where ARE those pictures btw?) I have to say I was absolutely pants. (a) never having done D.T. before and (b) never really dabbled in being a follower before.

I don't know if I'd try it as a leader myself, it looks cool but it's something I'd like to watch someone cool perform. I've seem Trampy doing it.. he falls into the cool category in my book. (and before his head explodes I have to add that anyone who can do more than 5 moves is cool in my book )

I'll leave DT to the experts.

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I voted "I'm a one woman man" but I did have a rather unique attempt at double trouble in Aberdeen a month or so back. Caro was Leading myself and mcJester (where ARE those pictures btw?) I have to say I was absolutely pants. (a) never having done D.T. before and (b) never really dabbled in being a follower before.
    Ooops, sorry, here it is (the other one's rather out of focus as you all kept moving!)

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Doing double trouble at Hammersmith a few weeks back. Not really done it much before.

YouTube - Me coni and Michelle doing Double Trouble

Very dark done on camera phone. Will shoot camera man. think he must have been filming and dancing at the same time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Doing double trouble at Hammersmith a few weeks back. Not really done it much before.

YouTube - Me coni and Michelle doing Double Trouble

Very dark done on camera phone. Will shoot camera man. think he must have been filming and dancing at the same time. lol
    Woodface BABY CAKES nice to have you back, just watched your video on utube.

Must say it is about as clear as the ariels debate.

XXX XXX

Ps Woodface is a knob (thought you might be missing the abuse) XXX

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    Ooops, sorry, here it is (the other one's rather out of focus as you all kept moving!)
    hehe thanks.. (although you can't see my "very cool" T-shirt and it does look like I'm biting Caro's Nose )

actually.. if I could just have hidden a little more

Thread Information