Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Storm Aftermath

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Storm Aftermath

Well here goes,

Highlights

Partner swapping (tagging?) on a grand scale in the main room, this was such good fun! Great to do and great to watch too! Although at one point, during a fast song, it did cross my mind that if someone not so experienced joined in, it might end up like Ten Pin bowling!

Spending time with friends, LimpyTink especially!

Partying till 10-30am... yes, 10-30 AM! I was amazed I lasted! Tiggerbabe and Franck, your not human!

Fletch's son Joe, wow, he's amazing and not just for his age. He lead me so well and already has a great sense of musicality! I'm looking forward to many future dances, please!

Young Tom Baker's enthusiasm, its infectious

Jamming with Ruby

Being pushed to the limit of my WCS skills, with a couple of brilliant dances with Kev, I actually amazed myself!

Too many lovely dances to thank everyone individually but a huge thanks to you all!

The good

Booking in, was an extremely quick and friendly operation, (even if I was given the wrong colour wristband and nobody questioned it... what does that mean? they think i'm a man? )

The bluesroom never got too packed.

Bar service was quick and friendly.

The shoe/clothes shop, very well stocked! (no comments please Trampy! )

I didn't suffer from being too hot or too cold in the venue or chalet! Although I had a slight panicky moment when my electric blanket didn't heat up at first but it worked after a quick fiddle! I left it on low, all weekend, perfect!

The music was 'spot on.' Upstairs was exactly what I'd expect it to be and downstairs, I experienced I wide range of styles, lots of new stuff and plenty of playful classics. All good!

I only went to one class, Franck and Tiggerbabe's.. It was brilliant but then again, I knew it would be! Thanks to DJ for partnering me.
    It was all about 'pre-leading and prepping.' And helped me understand more about why I find it so difficult to dance with hand bouncers and shakers. I've been accused of 'anticipating' by a few very mediocre leads recently but I'm now totally reassured, that my sensitivity to the lead has got a lot better but now, I'm actually reacting to their misleading pre-leads!

The floors were lovely and very very fast! I must admit though, they took a little bit of getting used to first but once i'd sussed the right shoes for the job, woo hoo, I was in heaven!

The water and cups, never ran out.

Free electricity.

Bad

Our chalet was practically in Hastings! Not at all good when your feet ache and its bloomin' freezing! And yes, the numbering system is mad, I nearly got lost every time!

Not enough daytime freestyle. Apart from the bar, which isn't that great.

The weather on the journey home was horrendous. A huge thanks to ZW and Puddytat, for coming to my rescue, when my prearranged lift had an emergency and had to unexpectedly go home early!

A drunken groper, who acted inappropriately towards me, who I later heard, also, had persisted in trying to actually snog my friend on the dance floor!

And Lastly..

Let me start by saying, I can't fault the organisation, friendliness, music, floors, water and all those other important things but, and I know I'm going to get slated for this but the general standard wasn't a patch on Southport.
    I'd actually completely forgotten how bad it can be. I honestly believed yanking, handshaking, relentless pretzels, dancing round and round in huge circles and the 'ceroc limp' had almost died out but Oh No, how wrong I was!
    I sat upstairs with a friend before the cabaret for about half an hour and just watched... the energy some people put into their dancing is something to be admired though... its simply a case of, 'wind 'em up and watch them go!'
    It doesn't seem to matter what track's playing, its full speed, all the way to the finish line! (even if the partner can't quite keep up, that doesn't matter either! A bit like watching a wheelbarrow race, when the back person ignores the fact the front persons arms have collapsed! )

A number of us, men included, suffered injuries from rough partners his weekend. I know of 7 personally, including 3 teachers. 2 of whom, had to result to restricting their dancing to people they already knew, for fear of further damage!

All this has made me appreciate how lucky I am, to know and regularly dance with such wonderful leads!

p.s. I didn't realise there were so many forumites there. I was in the Bluesroom at 11pm on Friday but only managed to recognise Martin and Twirly from photo's of them on here. I must get Fletch to point you all out next time.. or maybe, I did meet and chat to you but didn't realise who you were?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    What a great weekend.

Bad bits -
    Didn't get to dance with Gerry, The Librarian or Under Par on Sunday.
    Never made it to the Boudoir.
    I need a bigger suitcase
    I will make sure I get a dance the next time I see you

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Bad bits -
    Didn't get to dance with Gerry, The Librarian or Under Par on Sunday.
    I missed dancing with you too Tiggerbabe, and hope we can rectify this soon - even if it involves me coming to Scotland . At least we managed to chat.

I'm going to keep my review brief (): the weekend was fun, as expected, a great opportunity to have a laugh and hang out with friends old and new.

The heat in the main room was unbearable; there were no fans right at the back of the room - what there were only started about three-quarters of the way down the room and all pointed down towards the stage.

The music was generally just what I wanted (but I still can't cope with heavy rock in the pub of an afternoon), but you had to feel for Dale, he got some serious stick for the final track in the main room on Sunday night - "If I Had A Million Dollars" - he nearly had a lynch mob on his hands

I definitely noticed a lot more inebriated souls staggering on the dancefloor, I'll assume they don't yet appreciate that there's no need to drink and jive (and before anyone says anything, yes I've been known to have a glass or two at weekenders, but I hope I know my limits).

And finally a huge thanks to Fletch. A friend of mine who has been dancing for only a few weeks signed up at the last minute. He sat quietly watching the action in the pub early on Friday afternoon, as yet unaware of the scale of the weekend, slightly nervous at the thought of dancing with complete strangers with his 5-week old repertoire. In her inimitable style, Fletch spotted him, welcomed him, danced with him repeatedly, and looked out for him over the weekend. What an initiation. And the outcome: he loves this Ceroc thing, he's signing up for Viva Las Vegas, and he's already looking at going out dancing more than once a week. It feels so good when you sense someone you know has also got this dancing bug - without it being forced on them - and I've got to thank Fletch for giving him such a positive introduction to the weekend.

Roj x

oops almost forgot to say nice to meet you spikey steve thanks for giving us the entertaining tag demonstration which i think was on friday eve on the small dance floor in the main room. Never having seen it being done before it was good to watch
    sadly my wife wasnt well enough to make it to your offer of coming to learn it from you at 2 am on sunday morning hopefully meet you again soon somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    !

Fletch's son Joe, wow
    , he's amazing and not just for his age. He lead me so well and already has a great sense of musicality! I'm looking forward to many future dances, please!

A drunken groper
    , who acted inappropriately towards me, who I later heard, also, had persisted in trying to actually snog my friend on the dance floor!

:
    he loved dancing with you

I spoke to him 3 times, the last time, was very serious, he did take it on boad and disserpeard for the 1st part of the evining, when he came back he had soberd up.

We talked again much later and he said he wan'ted to appologise to the people he had upset, but he couldn't remember who they were, I told him the best way was to....not do it again and take on board what I had told him.

Time will tell

again i'm not anti alcahol but I am against any form of abuse cos of it, I carn't turn a blind eye.

Quote Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
    but you had to feel for Dale, he got some serious stick for the final track in the main room on Sunday night - [I]"If I Had A Million Dollars"[/I] - he nearly had a lynch mob on his hands

I definitely noticed a lot more inebriated souls staggering on the dancefloor, I'll assume they don't yet appreciate that there's no need to drink and jive (and before anyone says anything, yes I've been known to have a glass or two at weekenders, but I hope I know my limits).

And finally a huge thanks to Fletch. A friend of mine who has been dancing for only a few weeks signed up at the last minute. He sat quietly watching the action in the pub early on Friday afternoon, as yet unaware of the scale of the weekend, slightly nervous at the thought of dancing with complete strangers with his 5-week old repertoire. In her inimitable style, Fletch spotted him, welcomed him, danced with him repeatedly, and looked out for him over the weekend. What an initiation. And the outcome: he loves this Ceroc thing, he's signing up for Viva Las Vegas, and he's already looking at going out dancing more than once a week. It feels so good when you sense someone you know has also got this dancing bug - without it being forced on them - and I've got to thank Fletch for giving him such a positive introduction to the weekend.

Roj x
    I asked Maddy what she remeberd about the weekend, and GrovyDancers last track was one of the things she wan'ted me to post, what the hec was that song

some people are better with a drink, like the 'welsh witch'

Bless, now you have no chance sitting quirt on your own when i'm around, the 'mother hen' instinct kicks in, whats your name? where do you come from? how long have you been dancing? come and sit with us, i'll dance with you

Glad he's coming to VLV

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    h and GrovyDancers last track was one of the things she wan'ted me to post, what the hec was that song
    I'm afraid its a leftover from the Legend that was Jango Monday nights ... many a night finished with a karaoke singalong to this track, with Groovydancer as lead vocalist ..... spill a tear for good time gone bye

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
    but you had to feel for Dale, he got some serious stick for the final track in the main room on Sunday night - "If I Had A Million Dollars" - he nearly had a lynch mob on his hands
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    I asked Maddy what she remeberd about the weekend, and GrovyDancers last track was one of the things she wan'ted me to post, what the hec was that song
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I'm afraid its a leftover from the Legend that was Jango Monday nights ... many a night finished with a karaoke singalong to this track, with Groovydancer as lead vocalist ..... spill a tear for good time gone bye
    Funny thing is, Dale played that in the pub set he did at Breeze and it went down a storm (no pun intended) as there were a few ex Jangoers there.
    Guess he was hoping for the same reaction again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ...I know I'm going to get slated for this but the general standard wasn't a patch on Southport.
    I'd actually completely forgotten how bad it can be. I honestly believed yanking, handshaking, relentless pretzels, dancing round and round in huge circles and the 'ceroc limp' had almost died out but Oh No, how wrong I was!
    I sat upstairs with a friend before the cabaret for about half an hour and just watched... the energy some people put into their dancing is something to be admired though... its simply a case of, 'wind 'em up and watch them go!'
    It doesn't seem to matter what track's playing, its full speed, all the way to the finish line! (even if the partner can't quite keep up, that doesn't matter either! A bit like watching a wheelbarrow race, when the back person ignores the fact the front persons arms have collapsed! )

A number of us, men included, suffered injuries from rough partners his weekend. I know of 7 personally, including 3 teachers. 2 of whom, had to result to restricting their dancing to people they already knew, for fear of further damage!
    I'm wondering how it compared to other and previous Ceroc weekenders, in this regard.

I summary I had an awesome Camber Storm 2008. I had a fantastic time all except for a mis-firing Saturday night. Storm was full on loads of my favourite people culminating at a great dinner of 17 people on Sunday night and a special night dancing.

Here are my highs and lows
    Firstly, Apologies where I don't know their Forum names or partners names.
    Also, my sympathies go out the couples who had relationship troubles. I have been there but for me it finally feels like it is coming right as a couple on weekenders, time will tell for me - good luck to you all.

Friday night
    Very good double trouble class with Debbie Atwood and her team. I enjoyed being a follow for this and my partners Kathleen, Marion and I learned lots.

Thanks to Kathleen and Warren in a superb straight tag on the small square upstairs.

Saturday
    My first class with Franc and I was impressed at the clear leading and this is helping to improve my lead further.

High: Cooking a healthy Pear and blueberry pie.

Saturday evening. Eating the Pie ) Afterwards it just didn't happen for me. There seemed to be a strange atmosphere, friends went missing all sorts. Maybe Alex and Lisa's leaving affected the mood. Maybe the drowning of sorrows dues to this - who knows.
    Also arranged tag did not happen not sure why maybe because there was still so many people in the main room at 2 to 3 O'clock.

Sunday.
    Tag class. I am a huge advocate of tag. I love it, it fires me and wakes me up. I am not usually one to critize but I was however hugely disappointed with the class. In fact I thought the pushed drop kick was dangerous and we dropped out at that stage.
    If anyone is ever tagging with me or in fact anyone please please please never throw your partner at someone else in any way.

Afternoon in the pub was excellent. Great set from Dale and I really enjoyed watching people have a great time.

Sunday evening.
    The dinner was a superb experience and set up a remarkable evening.
    Tag sess upstairs was superb. We seemed to get overawed with Dirty D drawing every passing lady in but the resulting maypoles made for easy pickings. ) Well done to Gerry and Brendon and Paul and anyone else who got collared for what I think was your first go with us at this.

Kathleen solo dancing in front of a fan for me and not realising others were watching ;o) Magic moment for me.

Later in the blues room.
    I loved my Blues dance with Anne my DWAS from last October. It's so much easier with the lights off and no one watching.
    5am in the blues room was gorgeous. I'm not a writer but if I was and could describe the feeling then you would melt.

Other
    Big low. Lucky being injured. I missed the fun and enthusiasm and could have relaxed for weeks knowing I wouldn't have to lead you in Blango.
    Big low, Monday morning and the guilt for who I hadn't managed to dance with.
    Low, asking for a dance and not getting asked for a second. I can't remember who did this as I have forgotten you already. I probably don't relax until the second track downstairs and I don't like not getting a second (
    High: Various throughout the weekend. Watching Paul, DD+ and Anita. You are quality double troublers and great to watch. (However, I will not be borrowing the simulated 69 move)
    High: Watching Fletch watch Lucky and the kids. A tear to my eye and I very much enjoyed the dances Fletch.
    High: Martin Gold and your lady (huge apology for lack of name), thanks for the compliment, it really made Kathleen happy and a boost to both our confidence. Sorry tag on saturday night never happened. Gadget has an document on tag should you be interested and have the time to read.
    So much , so much, what have I forgotten, who have I forgotten?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    Low, asking for a dance and not getting asked for a second. I can't remember who did this as I have forgotten you already. I probably don't relax until the second track downstairs and I don't like not getting a second
    Am curious about this... I know it's been discussed elsewhere, probably to death, but do you always expect to be asked for a second dance? Or do you mean that she ran off before you got a chance to take her into the next track?

I rarely ask for a second dance (immediately after the first one anyway), particularly in the blues room. I know that most of the dancers in there are way above my ability level, and I assume that one dance with me is probably enough for them! I might, if I'm feeling brave, ask for a second one later/the next day, but probably only with people who have already asked me more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Am curious about this... I know it's been discussed elsewhere, probably to death, but do you always expect to be asked for a second dance? Or do you mean that she ran off before you got a chance to take her into the next track?

I rarely ask for a second dance (immediately after the first one anyway), particularly in the blues room. I know that most of the dancers in there are way above my ability level, and I assume that one dance with me is probably enough for them! I might, if I'm feeling brave, ask for a second one later/the next day, but probably only with people who have already asked me more than once.
    It was not a dig at any one person.

I don't expect to be asked. I kind of feel with a whole weekend to play with then two dances is polite.
    Be it wrong or right here is my rough rule in which I apply in the blues room where more of a connection is made but can apply elsewhere.

If I am asked to dance then I will usually ask for a second dance in return. If I ask someone to dance then I think it would be good for them to ask for a second. If they don't ask for a second I will wait indefinately to be asked back.

If I am refused a second or not given the approprate attention then again I wait to be asked again, maybe forever.

If I dance with someone and they go on about how good their dance was with x, y or z then again I probably will not put them high on my list to ask.

There's always plenty of other people and I'm sure I've fallen short of other peoples rules on accasion.

Everyone is different but similar.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post

High: Martin Gold and your lady (huge apology for lack of name), thanks for the compliment, it really made Kathleen happy and a boost to both our confidence. Sorry tag on saturday night never happened. Gadget has an document on tag should you be interested and have the time to read.
    Firstly My wifes name is barbs and no need for an apology as i didnt know Kathleen's name until now
    secondly we are the ones that need to thank you as the entertainment you provided playing tag on the small square was nothing short of spectacular (personally i think you should have done it in the cabaret and i know it would have gone down well
    No problem about the tag not happening on sat night as we were in bed by about 1 am anyway as Barbs wasnt too well and was worse by sunday afternoon
    I would love to see the doc on tag that gadget has where do i find it?
    once again great to meet you steve

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Firstly My wifes name is barbs and no need for an apology as i didnt know Kathleen's name until now
    secondly we are the ones that need to thank you as the entertainment you provided playing tag on the small square was nothing short of spectacular (personally i think you should have done it in the cabaret and i know it would have gone down well
    No problem about the tag not happening on sat night as we were in bed by about 1 am anyway as Barbs wasnt too well and was worse by sunday afternoon
    I would love to see the doc on tag that gadget has where do i find it?
    once again great to meet you steve
    Thanks again for your kind words and thanks to Barbs to.

I would PM Gadget for the doc. He not only has it -- he wrote it.

Steve

Well...i had an ace time at Storm...i so wish i could have stayed longer though.

I'll make this quick as im really not up to typing and i'm feeling very ill.. (over tiredness i think!)

THE HIGHS

It was fab to see some of my stevenage crowd there such as James, Jerry, Tom, Mark and Danielle. We all had a right laugh.

James bud...you do look about six without your hair all spiked but you are such a awesome teacher and dancer!

Tom- He is only 17 and a great dancer with lots of potential. A rising star!

Seeing Zara and Caz again- it's been too long...far too long

Coming 3rd in Karaoke...it's a shame the version of Don't cry for me argentina was not the one i was used to...but i had fun all the same and thank you to everyone for your support.

Cabaret Saturay- Was awesome, i loved all the different genres of dance and that hiphop guy didn't stop busting his moves all night!

Which reminds me- Dancing with Drathzel for the first time...great fun babes

Ruby- Great dances even if i did muck up embarasingly lol

Lucky- such a sweetie bless him -back was done in but still got up and danced very briefly with me just to make me happy

Busting those moves with Drathzel and Ruby- great fun

Caz= poledancing..so proud of you that you got up and did tha i think we've seen a new side to you missus!

Marc- his efforts at poledancing- brilliant!

The pub quiz- Well done guys a.k.a fletcherettes it was great taking part and winning the 10 pontins pounds!
    (Although i have got to give credit to Debbie Atwood's team TO THE PUB for their amazing team spirit and cool customised t shirts!)

Our chalet- Tidy and extremely close to the venue which made walking back at night no problem.

Oh and Paul Enfield a.k.a J A C K, for coming round to our chalet and cooking steak sausages and egg for us even though we had to wolf it down in super double time for the cabaret!

Now the lows

1. Weather. No question. PANTS

2. Chippy being closed- no chips!

3. Chocolate slurpee machine being broke- i loved their milkshakes last time

4. Not being able to do team cabaret because of stroppy teacher wanting me back on sunday

5. Getting back to school sunday and arguing with everyone because i was late, through no fault of my own and also two members not even bothering to turn up. SO I COULD HAVE STAYED AFTER ALL!!!

I really wish i could go to VLV but sadly i can't... because it falls right in the middle of the offical gcse exams (EEEEEK!)

Storm was my first event at Camber...but my third weekender after Prestatyn last year (first event, had only been dancing Ceroc for 3 weeks!), and Breeze at Brean in Oct (discovered blues through Ian from Ceroc Midlands....thank you thank you thank you you lovely man).

What can I say that your lovely people haven't already said above....the weekend for me completely blew my mind. Innovative and great classes everyday, seeing all the friends I've made around the country as I travel with my job (and go to the local classes in the evening), fast, frenetic, wonderful dances on the main floor every night, and then chilled and sexy blues until 4:30 AM every morning.

I also got three more ceroc-ers converted to the slower bluesy style, so my evil work is done hehehehe.

To top it all...I've lost another 4 lbs. in weight due to eating healthily, dancing my little socks off and not sleeping.

Having a chalet 30 secs from the main building (101) was a definate plus. We will be going to Camber again, without a doubt.

Roll on Southport, my next event.....!

Special thanks to the guys and gals from Stevenage who made the Sat main floor freestyle such a special night.

Kel xx

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kel_Warminster View Post
    Having a chalet 30 secs from the main building (101) was a definate plus.
    Lucky for some
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

This was my second Camber - and I had a fab time!!

Thanks to all those that danced with me especially
    Tom - so young but yet so good (if a little cheeky!), his dad - who was great fun even with an injured leg!, James - always a fun and exciting ride!, Rob - always a pleasure, Mick - from Stevenage - nice to meet you really enjoyed dancing with you!, Steve and Ted from St Neots - nice blues!
    And many many more!

Sorry for any feet that I may have stood on!

Paced myself better this time - didn't do all the classes so enjoyed the freestyles so much more than last time.

Downsides were the weather, the journey home, no west coast swing class and not having the confidence to find the forumites in the blues room. I am quite shy and still find the blues room a bit scary .

Nice to meet martin and babs in the restaurant on Monday morning - hope to see you again either at Stevenage or at your new venue!

Looking forward to Brean - may even get brave enough to try a Southport.
    But think I may need more practice before then!

Rachel
    xxx

5. Getting back to school sunday and arguing with everyone because i was late, through no fault of my own and also two members not even bothering to turn up. SO I COULD HAVE STAYED AFTER ALL!!!
    Oh, you poor thing - you could have!!! We missed you...

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Oh, you poor thing - you could have!!! We missed you...
    awwww thanks but at the end of the day despite the tears and tantrums the end result (i.e the play) went brilliantly!

Highs

Great roomies the gorgeous Liz and Laura

Cool neighbours Kari et al!

Fab food Sat night (thanks Liz- who would have thought the corner shop would sell wraps?!) and lots of fun with Herbie and Maria. Herbie you looked awsome with your mangoes positioned where they were.....
    Even our chalet looked pretty with all the candles (well, it was dimly lit- and it warmed the place up too!)

Couple of fun classes with Herbie- thanks hun!
    Thanks to my lovely boyfriend for being very tolerant!

Lows

I'm with Lory on the greater numbers of arm yankers, foot stompers etc. Most I've seen at Camber, but maybe I was unlucky...

I left at 2.30 both nights.... never before in the history of weekenders.... just couldn't find my zone (unlike Utopia last night which was as ever totally fabulous )

The smell in the main room....uuuuurgh, hundreds of sweaty bodies badly ventilated.

Roll on VLV though- I'm a sucker for punishment!

Thread Information