View Poll Results: Time to come out of the closet!

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've done some line dancing

14 51.85%
  • I haven't done any line dancing and don't want to.

6 22.22%
  • I'd like to try it.

4 14.81%
  • Yee Ha!!

4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L.D.A (Line Dancers Anonymous)

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

L.D.A (Line Dancers Anonymous)

From the 'You Tube Dance Videos' thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by dep
    Line dancing; yuk.
    Quote Originally Posted by robd
    Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion but I don't agree with you. Seeing line dancing done well is an education in how you can use your own body within the context of a fixed routine to highlight the accents within the music that's playing. It doesn't then take a great leap of imagination to think how it could be done within a lead and follow partnership without impacting on the integrity of that lead and follow (much of the musicality I observe in MJ at the places I go to is done outside of the connection - that's not a criticism just an observation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    when I had to go to the USA for work, the work staff took us to a line dance bar...Just so we could laugh our asses off, while having a beer.
    My view of line dancing has changed immensly since doing WCS and seeing the talent out there with that background.

So how many out there have tried or fancy trying line dancing? Time to 'come out.'

My name's Cruella and I want to learn line dancing.
    Last edited by Cruella; 9th-March-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: L.D.A (Line Dancers Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post

My view of line dancing has changed immensly since doing WCS and seeing the talent out there with that background.

So how many out there have tried or fancy trying line dancing? Time to 'come out.'

LOL - years ago i went to line dancing classes - lasted about 4 weeks before the feeling of embarassment just overtook me and i felt i could no longer do it. I was not embarassed for any other reason other than much older ladies were better than me, fitter than me and seemed to be able to line dance the night away with absolute ease. They were all wearing cowboy hats and boots however and at this point, i drew the line.

I have done some sort of line dance class at southport, extremely difficult but good fun. I could easily get into it as its now more modern and not so cowboyish... although i have got a genuine cowboy hat to wear should the need for it come up.!!

If you want to "come out" in Rugby, try Tracey Palmer.

Not sure how her course went ...
    Line dancing - Overslade Adult Evening Class | Rugby Council for Voluntary Service

but a good starting point...

yee ha

I have tried two line dance classes. That was enough to last the rest of my lifetime.

No option to vote for "tried it but not again"

And not just Line Dancing, now I also want to do NC2S and Country 2 step.

I get a feeling it's just a matter of time before I buy country boots and a couple of country shirts (but to my defense, they even seem to be back in fashion this season ! I can't ignore the signs, can I ? )

i did line dancing for about five years and taught it for about 12 months. Got bored as i needed another challenge...hence my new love.....ceroc

Tried once. Have watched once.

Never try or watch again.

But it's always funny to see at any given point in time:

- three people facing the wrong way
    - a person turning the wrong way on every turn
    - two people colliding as one stepping back while the other stepped forward
    - 5 people giving up after 20 seconds stating that they don't know this one
    - the barn dancers on the outside of the floor having to wait for lost line dancers straying from the heard
    - watching all the follower barn dancers leading more than the actual leads

That is all.

I've done a few classes at weekenders given by the outrageous James McLaughlin. I enjoyed them immensely.

However, at Southport in February, I chose just to watch one of his classes rather than take part. Result: Even better – you get to laugh at James' antics, plus at your friends attempting to look co-ordinated.

Think I would take part in more classes at weekenders, etc., but I don't think I would go along to weekly classes. That said, it looks like it could be a great way to learn to use your body better when dancing. Sort-of like a "lite" version of contemporary.

Think the country music vibe is too entrenched in it currently though. One of the keys to the current success of Ceroc is to disassociate itself from one particular type of music, making it more open to everyone. Think that Line Dancing could do better here.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The Perfect Woman!

The reason I started partner dancing over 16 years ago was because I was in Raleigh NC for work for 3 months and Line dancing and texas two step was the thing to do.... I loved it, but couldn't find any here when I returned, so started Lindy...... Now I do a bit of anything but don't practice much so definitely a jack of all trades...

After seeing the skill of the WCS teachers with a strong line dancing background I can honestly say that:

I will never mock linedancing again.

Individual line dancers are still free game if they trip over themselves all the time however....

I did line dancing for a few years before I started Ceroc, I love it. I still remember a few, Shakatak being one.. and Chill Factor... Not forgetting Stop It (I like it)

I think it's great that everyone wants to learn it, it can be so much fun!

Apparently, I'm going to be learning Night Club aswell, I've heard that's coming back into fashion now too? Have to say I'm not loving Country 2 Step - That one where the guy spins the girl around the floor

Well embarissing enough... When I watched the clip I thought "maybe I should have a go"

When I was in the USA, I did say to the guys and girls "shall we have a go?" - after a whole round of laughter, I sort of shut up. Although when a "normal" bit of music came on and there was no-one on the dance floor, I also asked the girls, anyone want to partner dance - Silence was the loud reply

It still seems like a dumbed down aerobics session to me... I used to love aerobics, as a warm up before the gym.

However I get dumber as time goes on... so something to think about...

Martin does a quick internet search of line dancing locally and hopes noone finds out...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Tried once. Have watched once.

Never try or watch again.

But it's always funny to see at any given point in time:

- three people facing the wrong way
    - a person turning the wrong way on every turn
    - two people colliding as one stepping back while the other stepped forward
    - 5 people giving up after 20 seconds stating that they don't know this one
    - the barn dancers on the outside of the floor having to wait for lost line dancers straying from the heard
    - watching all the follower barn dancers leading more than the actual leads

That is all.
    Are you sure it was linedancing you were watching? the above sounds a lot like a busy Ceroc/Leroc night to me

I did line dancing for years before I started modern jive, even achieved a bronze standard award I stopped going for several reasons, however the main one was that it was getting too political at the venue I went to. Never mind. Have to admit, like others, now that I've started WCS I'm tempted to start going again.

A little aside: Mr Fruity Oranges uses the animated film Antz to compare line-dancing and modern jive.

If you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about here - picture the scene.....an ant night club, everyone in perfectly formed straight lines doing exactly the same moves (line dancing) then Woody Allen's character decides he's bored with the same old same old and grabs the female ant beside him (Sharon Stone's princess) and does some partner dancing (modern jive).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Are you sure it was linedancing you were watching? the above sounds a lot like a busy Ceroc/Leroc night to me

Sounds like a UK team entry to the champs

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Have to say I'm not loving Country 2 Step - That one where the guy spins the girl around the floor

I guess the other thing to consider in the context of this thread is that the line dancing I have seen has been at the European Championships (mind you, who knows how many European Championships there are and thus how definitive the one at Brean was?) and that done by the people who've achieved a high standard in it and who also teach WCS so is probably not representative of the scene as a whole just as looking at the dancing in the Blues Room at Southport probably wouldn't give you much idea of the level at a standard MJ night.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

My only attempt so far was at Southport. I took a class taught by Paul Warden. I loved it, but couldn't understand why when we changed 'walls' my body and brain refused to work properly anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    However, at Southport in February, I chose just to watch one of his classes rather than take part. Result: Even better – you get to laugh at James' antics, plus at your friends attempting to look co-ordinated.
    Thanks, Pal

Hums 9 to 5 happily to herself

My view of line dancing has changed immensly since doing WCS and seeing the talent out there with that background...
    I'm yet to be convinced line dancing isn't being oversold now, just as it may have been previously undersold due to the C&W cowboy image.

For example I've got a flyer for the Bisley WCS classes and it says they start with a line dance, and justify it because most of the best WCS dancers are line dancers.

Perhaps - but I cannot help noticing that they started dancing a whole lot younger than most people from a modern jive background, and have spent much more time on competitions.

If you strip out those factors, it seems quite questionable whether line dancing comes out better or worse (or even much worse) than focusing on partner dancing or focusing on other related activities.

Thread Information