Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regional styles - do they exist?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Regional styles - do they exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I'm not so sure.
    { snip }.
    Fair enough. So, do you reckon there's a distinct Scottish style? If so, what created it? Simple geography?

And are there any other distinct regional styles in the UK, do you think?

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I'm not so sure. At RH&B I saw a very different style to the dnacing I saw at the Beach Ballroom, whioch again was differnt to the range od dancing I saw at Blaze 1. I would say even in Scotlans there were/are a range of dnacers who were held as role models which heavily influenced peoples dancing. Of course there is Franck, but other people who have had a lasting impact are the likes of Lorna; Obi; Lisa; BTC; Filthy Cute and the expanding list of WCS dancers. I woudn safely assume that the likes of Trampy and Tiggerbabe have alos influenced dancers ... as have a number of visiting instructors.
    Congratulations to Gus on setting a new record. It has taken years of dedication to achieve this result, and he deserves a "wamr rond ov appluse" from us all.
    Last edited by DavidB; 6th-March-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Fair enough. So, do you reckon there's a distinct Scottish style? If so, what created it? Simple geography?

And are there any other distinct regional styles in the UK, do you think?
    I don't think so at all. I think you get a few distinct, good dancers and they become the noticeable ones in that area. Therefore setting the style to people visiting. Whether they be smooth style, fast energetic, funky etc.
    As for London, it seems as though there is a higher amount of good leads, purely because people (usually more experienced dancers) tend to travel in from all directions and congregate at certain venues.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    Congratulations to Gus on setting a new record. It has taken years of dedication to achieve this result, and he deserves a "wamr rond ov appluse" from us all.
    I know I can't spell, but whats all this about

bizzzzar

Blog Entries

I think it's just the different chemicals and minerals you find in the different water supplies across the country.
    Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, that's obviously because they drink bottled water.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    Apologies .... next time I'll actually look at what I've typed before I hit "submit". I'm sorry for anyone who had to take the time to read that passage of illiterate drivel.

I think everyone is likely to pick up some style from the people that teach them and thus if a teacher stays fixed in one particular region that may influence the styles of many within that region (e.g Michaela Walker and her spare arm styling for ladies from Bedford/St Neots, etc). however, if people start travelling more widely and become expose dto different style they may take on board other influences and meld these to develop their own style.

I think there's a distinction between saying that there are lots of accomplished people in a region and saying that there is a regional style. I had a great time dancing at Blaze last year with some ladies that Gus mentioned and others that I don't see too often. They were all very good dancers but they also all had quite different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    The Midlands is the only place I have see the 'stamp' taught

guy's don't stamp we don't like it
    describe the "stamp" please.
    I'll try to eliminate if I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    You'll ........... let's guess ........... stamp on it ?

You're more likely to hear it than see it. It's when the man stamps his foot hard on to the floor to make a loud noise. I presume to emphasise a break or similar. What ever the purpose, it's one of my pet hates!!!! (Sorry Mr Cool )

what's this laughing at your own witticisms here.
    Is it the done thing, as I've seen it pretty often?

Whereas, if the rolling about had been placed after my innocent look quote, the meaning of your posting would have completely changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    It's when the man stamps his foot hard on to the floor to make a loud noise. I presume to emphasise a break or similar. What ever the purpose, it's one of my pet hates!!!!
    bendy B does that, and it sounds quite effective.
    His style and musical interpretation are exemplary. You'll just have to be more tolerant if you match up with him, cos I'm certainly not going to ask him to change. He's far too popular a lead.

I think every region has the same style at the bottom of the pyramid. I'm sure one or two will argue they produce better beginner intermediates, but I've never seen it on my travels. All beginners/intermediates I've ever seen come into the clunky, clunk, thumpy thumpy category. The style is 'not quite got the hang of this yet'

So when people talk about regional styles, I guess there talking about the dancers that get noticed or who are watched. It does vary, my region still has more Lindy influence than all others I have seen, and we tried and discarded Blues over a decade ago, yet visiting St. Albans freestyle 7/8 months ago (I think), despite that, I could determine no overall difference in style at all.
    Locally tho, just a little North of us there is a gang of dancers known as Ceroc Salibury, Ginger Jive and Jive-o-lution. Bottom of the pyramid, same as us, topish tho, where dancers interchange more, there are more dancers prone to play. and more 'walkie' dancers. It's not better or worse, just a slightly different style.

I think three things effect it, teachers, music played, and if an area has a good solid core of veterans good enough that peeps aspire to copy them, that as well.
    Individual dancers can have an effect if peeps are constantly exposed to them, but generally, simply because of the mathematics of exposure, a good group of regular dancers maybe not as impressive as the single really good dancer, have more effect.
    Despite what others say above, whilst teachers do have an effect, I think teachers are the least important of those three IMO. Teachers influence is really during the 'not quite got the hang of this yet' stage. Most dancers outgrow that Of course, like most things, there are one or two teachers who are the exception.
    Last edited by TA Guy; 6th-March-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Stoke bloke just said
    When I dance I try to adapt my lead to suit my follow.
    any one care to elaborate?

You're more likely to hear it than see it. It's when the man stamps his foot hard on to the floor to make a loud noise. I presume to emphasise a break or similar. What ever the purpose, it's one of my pet hates!!!! (Sorry Mr Cool )
    So agree with that. We have a live one down my way as well.

It's distracting to the other dancers is my main argument against it. If the musicians wanted blakey plods in the song, I'm sure they would have put them in.

Cool Re: Regional styles - do they exist?

I'll never forget the first 'style' workshop I attended in the midlands. The main thrust of the beginner lesson was when to stamp and when to click your fingers I recall telling the taxi dancer I was paired up with that I wasn't going to do either - she replied "that suits me fine, I think it looks really naff too".

Maybe I should set up teaching style workshops in the midlands.

Tonight's Class
    'When to click and stamp.'
    NEVER! That'll be £15 please.

...and people ask Twirlie Bird and me why we drive so far to go dancing!!!

Stoke bloke just said "When I dance I try to adapt my lead to suit my follow." any one care to elaborate?
    He loosens it, if it's too tight.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Sure - but Ceroc Scotland has been under one owner for 15 years or more, I can't think of an equivalent situation in London. Mike and Viktor had a big influence, but not to that degree, and obviously they had different styles.
    Not true of course, since the Dundee and Edinburgh parts of the franchise have been under different ownership, for varying amounts of those 15 years.

And anyway, whilst I can only speak for myself, very little of my formative years as a MJ dancer* involved teaching from Franck: it was mostly either Mairi or Scot teaching when I did the lessons regularly. I doubt I'm alone on that score.

*I'm assuming that by "style", we're talking about the general feel of the dance imparted through the basic lessons, as opposed to anything built up through workshops.

He loosens it, if it's too tight.
    from one who knows? or has experienced it?
    Stokie,
    is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Not true of course, since the Dundee and Edinburgh parts of the franchise have been under different ownership, for varying amounts of those 15 years.

And anyway, whilst I can only speak for myself, very little of my formative years as a MJ dancer* involved teaching from Franck: it was mostly either Mairi or Scot teaching when I did the lessons regularly.
    I don't know if Franck wants/needs the history trawled up here, but my understanding is that he & Jean operated the Ceroc Scotland Franchise until the business partnership split Scotland into East/West and then developed from there.

But irrespective of history, Franck has had an enormous influence on the whole of Ceroc in Scotland, probably taught 90% of the Teachers current or past.

Thread Information