Thread: Newcastle Ceroc Freestyle

Question Newcastle Ceroc Freestyle

We seem to be starved of Freestyle action in the Newcastle area...

CEROC Newcastle haven't had one since Summer 07... I've recently driven to Huddersfield and Pudsey just to get a bit of Freestyle Action..

Anyone know of upcoming gigs in Newcastle???

There must be a catchment area of about 400,000 if you include Sunderland... Surely that's enough to support one CEROC Freestyle a month... No?

The Forum's thoughts would be appreciated??

Re: Newcastle Ceroc Freestyle

There must be a catchment area of about 400,000 if you include Sunderland... Surely that's enough to support one CEROC Freestyle a month... No?

The Forum's thoughts would be appreciated??

Could be first, Newcastle and Sunderland dancing arm in arm, (may have to change a few of the moves)!

What about Middlesborough?
    Last edited by Lory; 4th-March-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Commercial Operator

Jive Junction freestyle this Saturday, in Wallsend, I believe.
    And there's a proper blues night next weekend plus workshops.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mick s View Post
    Could be first, Newcastle and Sunderland dancing arm in arm, (may have to change a few of the moves)!

What about Middlesborough?
    What about the monkey hangers?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billi Wiz View Post
    We seem to be starved of Freestyle action in the Newcastle area...
    I guess you haven't had the pleasure of going to any of Lynn's events then. Check out her website here. There is life other than Ceroc you know. She has been running for about 6/7 years now, formerly under the banner of Blitz but now as JiveJunction.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I guess you haven't had the pleasure of going to any of Lynn's events then. Check out her website here. There is life other than Ceroc you know. She has been running for about 6/7 years now, formerly under the banner of Blitz but now as JiveJunction.
    Lynn and Duncan have always run great freestyle nights - and the Wallsend dance floor is absolutely superb, not to mention that Duncan's a great DJ.

I'd say that things are definitely happening in the northeast these days - monthly jive freestyles, regular swing events and workshops, upcoming blues events and workshops, Joseph & Trisha in teaching here in May, Nina in June...

I don't think the region's doing too badly, even if you don't take into account the local explosion in AT and Salsa etc...

I don't think you can describe things as "Happening" when there is only one Jive Freestyle in the area per month... (Albeit a good one..)

It just seems infuriating to know I have to drive miles and miles to try and get a dance.. Pretty frustrating... I also know that a lot of others in this area feel the same..

When I started dancing at CEROC in Newcastle, it was the natural next step after doing some months of classes to go to the CEROC Frestyle night.. It worries me that a lot of beginners now don't have that step..

When I moved up there, I was amazed that there was only one class night per week. That turned in to 2 then gradually other classes and freestyles opened. Mike (Reklaw) used to run his own venues, aren't they still running? (Middlesborough direction) There used to be freestyles at Washington too, but I think they stopped years ago. I used to have to travel to York and Edinburgh/Glasgow for freestyles. We always wondered why there seemed such a lack of franchises between York and Scotland

Commercial Operator

I don't think you can describe things as "Happening" when there is only one Jive Freestyle in the area per month... (Albeit a good one..)
    Well - since last weekend was the first one in a while where I didn't have a local(ish) dance event to go to, purely from my perspective there's a fair bit on. If you stick to pure MJ, I agree there's less. Ever considered Blues or Lindy?

It just seems infuriating to know I have to drive miles and miles to try and get a dance.. Pretty frustrating... I also know that a lot of others in this area feel the same..

When I started dancing at CEROC in Newcastle, it was the natural next step after doing some months of classes to go to the CEROC Frestyle night.. It worries me that a lot of beginners now don't have that step..
    Have you tried talking to the new Ceroc organisers about this?

Commercial Operator

When I moved up there, I was amazed that there was only one class night per week. That turned in to 2 then gradually other classes and freestyles opened. Mike (Reklaw) used to run his own venues, aren't they still running?
    Yes... afaik, they're still going strong, Alex and Phil still teaching. We haven't been in far too long

There used to be freestyles at Washington too, but I think they stopped years ago. I used to have to travel to York and Edinburgh/Glasgow for freestyles. We always wondered why there seemed such a lack of franchises between York and Scotland
    It is a strange thing - and it's not as if there's no appetite for dancing, considering that you can do the likes of Salsa & Tango here virtually every night of the week. There's a lot more going on now than when you abandoned us , and I believe the general trend is a positive one.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    There's a lot more going on now than when you abandoned us
    Be careful, I may just return for a visit otherwise!

Thread Information