Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: One for Barry

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: One for Barry

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    If you’re pretending not to understand something by explaining what you don’t understand surely this leads some people to think you really understand what you pretend not to understand and are just being pedantic?
    Indeed but only Isis and Tigerfeet have said they did not understand TA Guys point and Isis seems to think they are in some way intellectually inferior when she said
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis
    While the intellectual low ground is populated by people who continually pretend they understand what's going on but can't be bothered explaining it.
    hmmmm...either she means that they cannot be bothered explaining something they do not understand - which is ridiculous, by merit of fact they do not understand it and can't explain it - or they can't be bothered explaining why they are pretending, which, as the only logical option, is the one I went for with...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    why would these people not bother to explain that they're pretending not to understand ?
    I was thinking perhaps people wouldn't bother to explain they are pretending, and really do understand, if they are trying to confuse the issue and everyone reading it and want to appear clever with lots of pointlessly long posts. Then it occured to me that there was no better way to obfuscate than to post completely nonsensical replies. As if on queue, Isis replied with ...

Quote Originally Posted by Isis
    *sigh**shrug* 'Cos they can't be bothered. It's the blindness. Understand now?
    As an explanation of why people don't want to admit pretending and are therefore truthful this is pure Ghandi. It seems odd to refer to "being honest" as "blindness". Adolf Hitler would be proud of such propoganda.

Quote Originally Posted by S38
    My understanding is it’s difficult to explain why you would pretend not to understand something you do understand in a way that shows you don’t really understand (pretending of course)
    Which is why I think Isis and Tigerfeet DO understand and are not pretending and are calling a spade a halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    You're preaching to the converted and the bewildered here
    Well, I thought it was obvious the point I was making - well-behaved racists aren't an argument in favour of racism, and well-behaved religious people aren't an argument in favour of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    Who said that religion isn't open to criticism?
    Good grief.

Well, if it is (open to criticism) then I'll carry on criticising. Phew.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Indeed but only Isis and Tigerfeet have said they did not understand TA Guys point etc...
    no one laughs at my joke posts anymore, this one had layers - am i trying too hard ?

Thread Information