Poll: Ladies - how often is following an uncomfortable experience

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you like it rough?

Originally posted by Graham
    Unfortunately Franck is on holiday at the moment but no doubt he will reply when he returns.
    You are good on ethics, Graham...get off the fence and tell me what you think about under 18 beginners?

Hello,

have spoken to Franck about this one before.

We do have an 18 and over policy for a couple of reasons:

The main reason is that venues we use tend to be licensed and therefore to have under 18's present would be against the law.

Also, it is an adult dance class.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Ta! That clears things up...

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)

Re: Re: Do you like it rough?

Originally posted by Aleks

I'd like to know if the men also have experience of vice-like grips and steel arms....does your lead need to change with the follower??
    I know of quite a few ladies who have vice like grips and steel arms, they insist that they do not work in the building trade but i'm not too sure do I have to change my lead? too bl***y right I do, I have to change my whole dance style, in order to dance with them, all in the gentlemanly name of ceroc just so they enjoy the experiance. I also know of . . . no I wont go into that:sorry

Dance me soft and gentle
    turn the lights down low
    in words so sentimental
    tell me what I need to know

You seem to think that acting tough
    is what it takes to be a man
    I have to say that dancing rough
    is ruining natures plan

so dance me soft ....

Originally posted by ChrisA
    . Treatment of beginners by some of the more predatory, often older, guys can be a serious issue sometimes, and I really believe it needs to be tackled, whenever, and wherever it crops up.

I know of several beginner ladies that have come a couple of times to the Ceroc venue where I taxi, been perved on, manhandled around the floor (often by terrible dancers), or had to put up with one or two of the weirdos that sometimes hang around - and then refused to come back (this was confirmed to me throught the friend that brought them initially).

Chris
    As a taxi dancer, I find one of my many roles is to inform men and women NOT to be too close for comfort, if you know what I mean!

Men: the ladies will soon spread the word and you will find no woman will want to dance, despite the ceroc etiquette of never say no!

women: if any man is pervy (unless its me) tell someone and the word will be spread

Originally posted by bigdjiver
    Dance me soft and gentle
    turn the lights down low
    in words so sentimental

is ruining natures plan

so dance me soft ....

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by bigdjiver
    Dance me soft and gentle
    turn the lights down low
    in words so sentimental

is ruining natures plan

so dance me soft ....
    Ahh thats lovely!!

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Re: Re: Do you like it rough?

Originally posted by Aleks
    I'd like to know if the men also have experience of vice-like grips and steel arms....does your lead need to change with the follower??
    Now you come to mention it...I dance both lead and follow, and on balance I would say getting 'pulled about' is far more likely when I'm leading.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Lorna
    Hello,

have spoken to Franck about this one before.

We do have an 18 and over policy for a couple of reasons:

The main reason is that venues we use tend to be licensed and therefore to have under 18's present would be against the law.

Also, it is an adult dance class.
    Yep, just to confirm the above. The nights are adult classes, and tend to be run in licensed premises.
    The main issue is in the nature of Ceroc where we change partners during the classes and discourage turning down a dance, which could lead to embarrassing situations if a child was to join the nights.

Franck.

There is one move I do that I do that I know has a potential to really hurt my partner. Cant remember the name, it ends up so I am back-to-back with the lady, trying to lead here left arm into a nelson as I lean to the left. A lot of ladies think I am trying to wrap them, and there is the potential to really hurt thier left arm (probably my bad lead ). I'm very aware of this, and will stop as soon as I know its going wrong, and before any harm is done. Next time, they know what I'm trying to do and we get the move right. Obviously I never try this move with beginners.

What about the ladies hurting the men? There are one or two women in Edinburgh who wear chunky rings on thier right index finger and have a tight grip. This can be a bit painfull during a dance! Should I politely mention this to them ... ?

Ian

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by ianw
    Should I politely mention this to them ... ?
    Good point, I've dripped blood around the floor before realising I've been sliced by a diamond ring. Those chats on hygiene should include warnings about dangerous jewelery.

Greg

Originally posted by ianw
    What about the ladies hurting the men? There are one or two women in Edinburgh who wear chunky rings on thier right index finger and have a tight grip.
    Only on their right index finger?

It's the ones with spare junk iron from several previous marriages on assorted fingers that worry me especially when the grip is tight and the rings are sharp
    Should I politely mention this to them ... ?
    Hmmmm . . . you are a brave man

If they take your eyes out accidentally as well maybe ask a taxi dancer to do the gentle imparting of information

Fortunately some of them do already - but some ladies are very attached to their rings (as the men can be also when they get hooked on shirts / skin / belts / watches)

I have been known to make my watch off pointedly and explain (with slight emphasis) that it's for safety . . .

Seriously though, I hate to correct anyone on anything unless they ask - criticism can be very hurtful and can last a long time. Taxi dancers (when on duty) are in a better postion IMO - or maybe ask the teacher to give it a mention. And who knows, once she's learnt that rings are dangerous she might turn out to be the most sought after dancer and give you a miss for your honesty It's a hard one - wouldn't be surprised if I get flamed for sounding like cats claws (g) about it here (!) - but if other guys benefit it's worth it (Sorry, ladies, but we guys do have to manfully grin and not make a fuss about so much).

On moves that hurt ladies - scary too - there's some moves that are quite common and can be painful to ladies depending on the lady; there's other moves, like a backslide, where the teacher doesn't have time to add enough info on how to avoid hurt in all cases. I don't recognise the move you mention offhand. My own feeling is go with (her) flow (ie make the move into the one she 'wants' to do) until you can figure out a really informative but gentle lead into the one you want (practicing it with a very experienced and articulate follower and asking her how to alter the lead often helps too). Best of luck - if you hear her arm snap out of its socket probably it still needs a bit of work on

Blog Entries
    I did a routine on Tuesday which contained a swizzlestick, a teapot & a pretzel, amongst others... & after the last rotation, at the end of the class, we were encouraged to dance 'til the end of the track with that partner. I ended up with this one chap who had a kind of bounce thing going on & I really found it painful to dance with him. He's a reasonably experienced intermediate, and a nice bloke - so I felt I had to dance on even though my shoulders were in agony. I ended up going very very limp & lost all enthusiasm. And I still mildly ache today.

I don't know what else I could've done...

Originally posted by Lou
    He's a reasonably experienced intermediate, and a nice bloke
    All the more reason to tell him. Nice blokes would respond very positively to suitable feedback.

- so I felt I had to dance on even though my shoulders were in agony.
    IMHO - Cobblers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Agony is not why we go dancing. You shouldn't have to put up with anything that causes you pain.

I ended up going very very limp & lost all enthusiasm. And I still mildly ache today.
    Terrible for you, and he would be none the wiser.

I don't know what else I could've done...
    You stop dancing, say to him "sorry, but this xxxxx that you're doing is really hurting me. Please could you stop it or I'll have to stop dancing with you".

This nice guy is probably going round hurting lots of people, and knows nothing about it. I'm sure he'll be shocked if you tell him, but wouldn't you rather know if you were in his position?

Good luck,
    Chris

PS If I ever do anything on the dance floor that you don't like, ladies, please tell me. I can take it, and I will do my best to change any offending habit.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by ChrisA
    PS If I ever do anything on the dance floor that you don't like, ladies, please tell me. I can take it, and I will do my best to change any offending habit.
    Me too!
    But please be clear what you mean, on Tuesday I was in the lesson with a lady who obviously hadn't got it, so I was more forceful than normal on a particularly tricky and fast move. When she said "Ooh you are strong." I apologised, she followed with "No, it was good, a strong man, you are strong." So I'm left wondering if she was in pain, or just surprised, or just trying to butter me up. Now I'll never know.

Greg

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Sheepman
    you are strong.
    or just too much aftershave ?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    or just too much aftershave ?
    Or pickled garlic?

Greg

Thread Information