Thread: New Stevenage nite - on Thursdays

New Stevenage nite - on Thursdays

Just looking at the 'ijig' (Mick and Jo) web site - and it states that there will be a new dance evening opening from Thursday April 3rd.

According to the web site, the new venue has a 'quirky' feel (not sure what that means!).

Hmmm - with another 2 venues supposed to be opening up in South Herts for Ceroc Metro, there is loads of choice.....and more coming!

Now, Monday-Thursday, if you live in St. Albans, there is a choice of 3 (or more) venues each night, within 30 mins drive.

However........what about Friday and Saturday?? Why is that there is often just 1 or sometimes zero freestyles? Surely it is more profitable to run freestyles? (I am guessing!)......

(Sunday of course, is reserved for the hallowed 'turf' of Berkhamstead)....

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: New Stevenage nite - on Thursdays

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Just looking at the 'ijig' (Mick and Jo) web site
    What sort of a name is ijig? Sounds like it's doing Irish dancing or something...

However........what about Friday and Saturday?? Why is that there is often just 1 or sometimes zero freestyles?
    It's always been difficult to get venues for a weekend. They're less available, and they cost more (both in staff costs and venue hire) - especially because they go on later.

Huh, you should have been around London 5+ years ago, we had nothing on an average weekend, it was basically the Casbah, and the occasional Hammersmith, or nothing. Imagine how desperate we must have been...

Surely it is more profitable to run freestyles? (I am guessing!)......
    Well, you don't need a teacher, but you still need everyone else - door staff, DJs, etc. So I'd guess that this minor saving (less than £100) is more-than-offset by the extra costs.

For example, I heard that HMS President cost about £1,000 to hire - with all the other costs, I'd think you'd need 150+ people there just to break even. Similarly, Ashtons holds a lot of people, but I bet it's neither cheap nor easy to get it on a Friday night.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    What sort of a name is ijig? Sounds like it's doing Irish dancing or something...
    nothing worng with irish dancing!!!!

Re: New Stevenage night - on Thursdays

I went along last night, since someone thought it might suit me, with the advanced class and all...
    I guess splitting the 2nd class in two makes sense, to allow people to repeat or see more moves, but I'd hoped for some teaching rather than what seemed like a fairly standard script (and announcements 3 times what's wrong with waiting till everyone is there and just doing it once?)

Venue - 3/5. Could be good, except the dance floor has a barrier all round adding to the effort of getting someone on the the floor.
    Floor - 1/5. Rough wood (well, it is a club). not sticky, but very very slow.
    Sound - 2/5. Disappointing, given the fixed installation. All bass, and quite muffled.
    Music - 3/5. Standard Jon Brett. Some fast, mostly thump-thump. (:yawn

Sean

If the evening was that bad for you Tsh, why didn't you state your complaints and ask for your money back instead of staying til the end

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

It's always been difficult to get venues for a weekend. They're less available, and they cost more (both in staff costs and venue hire) - especially because they go on later.

Huh, you should have been around London 5+ years ago, we had nothing on an average weekend, it was basically the Casbah, and the occasional Hammersmith, or nothing. Imagine how desperate we must have been...

Well, you don't need a teacher, but you still need everyone else - door staff, DJs, etc. So I'd guess that this minor saving (less than £100) is more-than-offset by the extra costs.

For example, I heard that HMS President cost about £1,000 to hire - with all the other costs, I'd think you'd need 150+ people there just to break even. Similarly, Ashtons holds a lot of people, but I bet it's neither cheap nor easy to get it on a Friday night.

I'm sure you will get bored with talking about ijig sooner or later, then something new will come along that you will decide you don't like and you can talk about that.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sparkler View Post
    I'm sure you will get bored with talking about ijig sooner or later, then something new will come along that you will decide you don't like and you can talk about that.
    The post your quoting, was written on the 21st of February Your only two months too late!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by sparkler View Post
    If the evening was that bad for you Tsh, why didn't you state your complaints and ask for your money back instead of staying til the end
    Well, I did dance with a few people I've not seen for a while, and I thought I'd wait a while and see if there was anything good to say

It wasn't as if the night was different from advertised, just not right for me - even if it is closer than anywhere else I dance.

Sean

Thread Information