Thread: At The Ballet. Constant clapping breaks - is it the norm?

At The Ballet. Constant clapping breaks - is it the norm?

Last night was my first time at the ballet.

I loved it , but the constant clapping was most annoying. i had to keep turning my hearing aids on and off. The audience would clap and the music stopped whilst the dancer/s would come to the front of the stage and bow. (There was no orchestra)
    Sometimes, whoever was operating the music would just ignore the clapping.

It wasn't a West End venue, but my local Hackney Empire. maybe Hackneyites are easily pleased?

This constant stop, start, stop, start doesn't happen at operas and musicals I've been to. Is it the norm at the ballet?

Odette/Odine and Rothbart were truly out of this world. I don't regret going.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: At The Ballet. Constant clapping breaks - is it the norm?

at the end of an act yes, but not constantly - its actually something Americans do a lot - they even clap at the beginning of something when they recognise it and even in the middle when its a particularly good bit....i hate it i've heard Italians do it too, but thats 3rd hand info

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    at the end of an act yes, but not constantly - its actually something Americans do a lot - they even clap at the beginning of something when they recognise it and even in the middle when its a particularly good bit....i hate it i've heard Italians do it too, but thats 3rd hand info
    It was like every 10 minutes. I tried to find out how much it over ran, but the box office gave me different finish times.

It started at 7.30, then there was a 15 minute interval, then it finished at 10.10 pm.

Does it happen in the West End?

I think clapping is expected after every "performance" – whether it was a solo, pair or group piece.

At a music concert you'll get clapping at the end of each song, or even mid-song for someone's solo. I don't see this as really any different.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

This reminds me of the classical concerts that I go to.

Generally it is not a good idea to applaud after a movement in a multi-movement piece but inevitably some people do.

A respected classical author once wrote "If you perceive a silence and are in any doubt wait until there are at least a dozen other people clapping before you join in"

I dont know if the ballet has similar 'rules'. May be worth looking into.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    This reminds me of the classical concerts that I go to.

Generally it is not a good idea to applaud after a movement in a multi-movement piece but inevitably some people do.

A respected classical author once wrote "If you perceive a silence and are in Sny doubt wait until there are at least a dozen other people clapping before you join in"

I dont know if the ballet has similar 'rules'. May be worth looking into.
    Differs by nationality a bit (don't ever try to start slow-handclapping on the continent!) but in general terms, Italian audiences will be much more forthcoming - applause of major arias/duets etc. in opera is the norm (and they're not averse to booing when they feel the need either!)
    I used to go to plenty of classical concerts. Applause between movements of a work is rare here. I only recall seeing it happen twice, once being at a prom so probably started by someone who didn't know the conventions, but the other was a pretty genuine reaction. Carl Neilsen, Symphony No.3 IIRC. I've also got a live recording of Walton's 1st Symphony (best symphony ever written by an Englishman IMO), where the audience breaks into full applause at the close of the first movement. Again, a Prom concert. The whole etiquette of classical audiences is a matter of some debate.

At the most memorable concert I ever went to though, the closing of the final movement was met with complete silence!

The ballet's I went to in London were very much like that, yes. The audience would show appreciation of a particular dance, a couple or solo, or the end of a popular and well known bit (try The Nutcracker or Romeo and Juliet... lots of enthusiasm) Sylvia is worth seeing if you get the chance. Not so well know, but good.

The applause has never actually bothered me. If you have a hearing aid though, I can see why it might.

Mrs Pretzelmeister

I've not been to any ballet in London but quite a few in the shires. Applause seems to be standard at the end of a solo/pas-de-deux or particularly spectacular set piece; sometimes lots, sometimes a smattering. I can't say I remember the artists coming to the front of the stage for a bow during a full performance of one ballet. (Although if it's a performance of several snippets in one show it's different, as that's their 'bit' over).

Should be going to see Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker in a couple of weeks - anyone seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post

Should be going to see Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker in a couple of weeks - anyone seen it?
    I own that somewhere, on dvd, I think. I know I own the Swan Lake he did. Should be good. His Swan Lake was excellent Although I think his Nutcracker was a little more cutsie. His Swan Lake was darker. Lots of pink and candy, if I remember rightly.
    Last edited by Genie; 26th-February-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    The ballet's I went to in London were very much like that, yes. The audience would show appreciation of a particular dance, a couple or solo, or the end of a popular and well known bit (try The Nutcracker or Romeo and Juliet... lots of enthusiasm) Sylvia is worth seeing if you get the chance. Not so well know, but good.

The applause has never actually bothered me. If you have a hearing aid though, I can see why it might.
    The 2 digital hearing aids picked up the music perfectly on the lowest surround setting, but the clapping was too loud. I usually avoid places where there is a lot of clapping. But I suppose I will have to put up with it - the ballet is worth it. Be good if there was a push button remote contol to turn the aids on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    I've not been to any ballet in London but quite a few in the shires. Applause seems to be standard at the end of a solo/pas-de-deux or particularly spectacular set piece; sometimes lots, sometimes a smattering. I can't say I remember the artists coming to the front of the stage for a bow during a full performance of one ballet. (Although if it's a performance of several snippets in one show it's different, as that's their 'bit' over).
    It was a full length ballet. It was mainly Odette, Seigfried and the Jester who would come to the front for a bow. The others would just pause where they were. Rothbart, the wizard deserved to come to the front, but always shot off.

The company was The Moscow City ballet. Maybe it's because the Russians have the edge historically?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    At the most memorable concert I ever went to though, the closing of the final movement was met with complete silence!
    Was that because it was memorably bad, or because it was so moving that noone dared clap?
    Love dance, will travel

The whole etiquette of classical audiences is a matter of some debate.
    This guy says that meetings with hearing impaired people, they show their appreciation by putting their hands in the air and wiggling their fingers. It's news to me.
    But it must have looked like I was doing that when adjusting my hearing aids.

I was caught up in the clapping at the end. The 2 leads even stood outside the curtain. And I've been racking my brains to remember if there was a standing ovation, but I was looking at the stage and didn't notice. There was no one in front of me - I was in the dress circle.

It was a shame no one thought to buy Odette some flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Was that because it was memorably bad, or because it was so moving that noone dared clap?
    I asummed it was the latter.
    Stuart M must have good taste - as a dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    The 2 digital hearing aids picked up the music perfectly on the lowest surround setting, but the clapping was too loud. I usually avoid places where there is a lot of clapping. But I suppose I will have to put up with it - the ballet is worth it. Be good if there was a push button remote contol to turn the aids on and off.

It was a full length ballet. It was mainly Odette, Seigfried and the Jester who would come to the front for a bow. The others would just pause where they were. Rothbart, the wizard deserved to come to the front, but always shot off.

The company was The Moscow City ballet. Maybe it's because the Russians have the edge historically?
    Can't you get hearing aids which are automatically adjustable? If not, you should be able to. I sympathise. Being OK of hearing, I never would have considered it

The Moscow City ballet? Wonderful. They may have had the edge historically, but the British Royal/National and the New York City Ballet are catching up big time (probably due to the number of fabulous Russian dancers escaping and teaching us how).

Do you know who the leads were?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    The latter. Borodin String Quartet closing out their cycle of all 15 Shostakovich quartets in the library at Bantry House, Ireland in 2000. Unforgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post

The Moscow City ballet? Wonderful. They may have had the edge historically, but the British Royal/National and the New York City Ballet are catching up big time (probably due to the number of fabulous Russian dancers escaping and teaching us how).

Do you know who the leads were?
    Strangely enough there was no one pushing programmes in my face like at other theatres.
    I saw some people reading them inside and made a mental note to get one on the way out. But I was so hyped, I forgot.
    It was only on for 2 nights.
    I could ask at the theatre.
    The flyer I have doesn't say.

The latter. Borodin String Quartet closing out their cycle of all 15 Shostakovich quartets in the library at Bantry House, Ireland in 2000. Unforgettable.
    Yes, I knew I was right.

Thread Information