Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BritRoc

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Brady
    I too was wrecked by the end of the comp., having danced 12 rounds between the two categories (was this due to the McGregor judging method, and hence why extra rounds were required? If so, might want to consider a wee alteration to prevent killing people in the future!) I entered. Brady
    The judging method simply allows you to fairly choose a pre-selected number of dancers to promote. The decision about how many rounds and how many people to promote in each round was nothing to do with the method.

Of course, your brilliant dancing was what wore you out. If you'd not put so much into it you wouldn't have been so tired, you would have been eliminated in an earlier round and would not have been wrecked by the end

Speaking personally, I find the costume changes the most tiring and nerve-wracking thing about competitions - especially if I have to queue for my bag at the cloakroom each time like at Hammersmith. At Blackpool this year I got mixed up and changed into my complete double-trouble 'Hooker' outfit with stockings, suspenders, tights to hide my hairy legs, fishnets, wig, Lycra (tm) leotard and tutu only to find that it was my intermediate heat next and I had to change completely in about 5 minutes

Originally posted by Minnie M
    I thought the Blackpool Hall is far superior to Hove Town Hall/Centre (which has a floor like an icerink) and what about Hammersmith Palais, the floor may not be as good but the atmosphere far outways Hove.

AND the organisers for both Blackpool and Hammersmith were working with a lot lot more numbers than the relatively small Hove event.
    Got to agree with Minnie M here. I particularly love the electric atmostphere that you get at Hammersmith, and of course the overall loveliness and practicality of Blackpool. But its like comparing apples with pears. Both those comps have been runing quite a few years and have far larger numbers.

But Britroc was so superbly put together and organised. It surely has to be the first dance comp that's ever run to time (heck it was even running ahead of time at one point!)

I also though Graham LeClerc was a natural as an MC. He is a born showman and it clearly came through - very entertaining.

My only personal gripe was that the floor was too slippy. I'm sure others will have preferred the fast floor though, so I guess I'm gonna have to live with that.

Just got off the plane and had to log on to find out how Sunday went. Gutted I had to duck out at short notice.

Sounds like it was a great event, so even more gutted that I missed it. But huge thanks to Christine for partnering Sheepy (who could wish for a better stand in!!) and making the finals. Now I will always be wondering if the result would have been similar if I had been able to make it, or would I have let Sheepy down. I think perhaps I did him a favour by having to drop out Bloody well done Greg mate - I'm really chuffed for you.

M

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Mary
    I will always be wondering if the result would have been similar if I had been able to make it
    We would have won! (well maybe a few provisos there!) (And that's absolutely no criticism of Christine who was fab and great fun, just that less than 1/2 an hour's freestyle practice isn't enough.)
    Welcome back, hope the trip went well, and the jetlag is manageable.

G x

Originally posted by Will
    But Britroc was so superbly put together and organised. It surely has to be the first dance comp that's ever run to time
    To be fair to Ceroc, every year I've been to Hammersmith (i.e. not last year), it has stayed incredibly close to the schedule (+/- 3 mins or so!).

Of course Blackpool still comes top in practically every other respect...

Dave

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

Winners names

Nice report Mr Sheepman - just a little addition as this may be the first and last time my friend and I get a mention as 'winners' - my full name is Lesley Wyrill and my Seniors section parner was Sue Halliday ( alias the Bunny Girls!) - both from Bristol - so all you good dancers out there consider visiting Bristol now and again, apart from the dancing, Bristol and even more so, Bath are both great cities just for a weekend visit anytime, or just a couple of hours travel for an evening dance - we travel all over to get the opportunity to dance with different partners.

I managed to win the DWAS with the fantastic Sui Fai ( I hope I was'nt too painful for him, he so so nice and very patient) - especially having to wait for me to rip off my bunny costume to change back to my DWAS outift. I have always admired his style of dancing, but never dreamt I would enter, yet alone win a comp. with him. I am still on cloud 9!

Also a double wammy for me - Sue and I won third place in the Seniors and at 7.15pm! (at our age at the end of a long day following just 2 hours sleep the night before, it was quite taxing). We did'nt dance as well on the day as we have in practice so we were both gobsmacked to get 3rd.

I had to really coaxe Sue to wear the Bunny costume, but I wanted to make it as 'fun' as possible and the 'place' has spurred us on to give comps. another go.

The whole event was brilliant, congratulations to Graham, Sarah and I gather Andy in the beginning for running a very professional and slick event. Yes the floor was slippy, but suited me as long as I had trainers on and made spinning fast and smooth. Sarah looked stunning as always and Graham's suit was beautifully tailored - (sorry about that - slipped into my shopaholic mode for a minute............) Can't wait till next year.

Three other people I would also like to mention whilst I am gabbling on - whilst I was suffering from severe leg cramp during costume changes, a young girl on the crew; a member of the Moulin Rouge team and especially Ben (physio) (young Ben with vest and white braces with his mum and daughter - sorry useless with surnames). He stopped warming up / practising with his partner behind the screen to give me physio on my leg - a big thank you.

So many people said really nice things to me yesterday and have restored my faith in my dancing ability I was beginning to think I was old and past it. So a BIG THANK YOU to those people.

Lesley (and Sue)

Commercial Operator

Re: Winners names

Originally posted by Easter Bunny
    So many people said really nice things to me yesterday and have restored my faith in my dancing ability I was beginning to think I was old and past it. So a BIG THANK YOU to those people.

Lesley (and Sue)
    Neither of you is 'old and past it'. You've both revived my older woman fantasy - you're probably only 3 years older than me, but it's still a fantasy. And you're both great dancers too

especially having to wait for me to rip off my bunny costume to change back to my DWAS outfit.
    Lesley (and Sue)
    I'm sure you could have recruited some wardrobe assistants to speed up this onerous task

p.s. Any chance that bunny outfit would fit me?

Blog Entries

Re: Winners names

So many people said really nice things to me yesterday and have restored my faith in my dancing ability I was beginning to think I was old and past it.
    I've told you before what a fabulous dancer you are - but you weren't having any of it! Perhaps now you'll believe us! Well done on your deserved results!

(In case you're wondering who I am - I think the last time we chatted we were bemoaning the lack of available water @ Kingswood....)

Just thought I'd add my comments on the Britroc competition:

Admin: apart from the queuing in the cold which delayed the start of the competition, the administration was fine. Other people have already mentioned how well Graham did to keep it on time. What I don't think has been mentioned was his excellent staff who were all very friendly and helpful, and easily identified with their crew t-shirts.

Venue: it was the right size for this event, good lighting, nice fast floor, and the layout catered well for spectators, with the judges sitting with the audience. There was a small problem with people looking over the judges' shoulders to see the marking; perhaps a screen needs to be erected behind the judges, although that would obscure the view for some. I liked the generously sized separate practice area for competitors. Glad to see there was no confiscating of food/drinks/bags!

Music: without a doubt the best I've heard in any competition. It was the kind of stuff you hear on any normal jive night - I think that competition music should reflect that - and resulted in high quality dancing. Competitors danced to a fast track and a slow track in all heats, not just the finals, which I liked, but it was knackering.

Judging: 7 highly respected judges, and judging method published well in advance, so there can be no complaints there. The results were posted in lightning quick time: I don't know whether that's to do with the judging method, the smaller numbers, or the efficiency of the staff, probably a combination of all three. One criticism is the "dance off" rounds, where competitors were recalled presumably because the call back method resulted in as many as 4 couples with equal scores. Nobody told the competitors that even if you haven't qualified for the next round, doesn't mean you're out! I think one intermediate couple had already left... Also, why was the advanced finals split into 2 heats? I think you need to see all the finalists together.

Prizes: as the marketing boasts, these were the biggest prizes offered in any competition in the UK. What I thought was a nice touch was that all the finalists got something, even if they weren't placed in the top 3. OK, so they were Britroc towels, but I thought it showed an appreciation of the effort of the competitors.

Overall, a great competition which deserves its place on the jive calendar.

Originally posted by DavidB

There are effectively 2 national competitions (Blackpool and Hammersmith) and 3 regional ones (Scotland, Bristol and Brighton)
    For a Regional competition and for a first time, ALL the BritRoc team including Andy Mc deserve a well earned pat on the back.

Just out of interest - were there many spectators ? From what I heard £25 for just watching with very little freestyle did put a lot of people off.

The competition day should be for everyone, not just the competitors. Blackpool comp is on a Saturday, finishes at 2am and tickets are £20

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Daphne
    There are effectively 2 national competitions (Blackpool and Hammersmith) and 3 regional ones (Scotland, Bristol and Brighton)
    Scotland is a region????????????

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
    You tell 'em Dave! Oh and good luck on Saturday!

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Forte
    You tell 'em Dave! Oh and good luck on Saturday!
    Ummm. It was the other Scooby who said that

Steve

I KNEW that! And I was just supposed to sort it out when you beat me to it. Shouldn't you be studying law or something smarty pants!

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Scooby Doo
    In the same way that Blackpool is a Nation.

Of course if a competition were held in Yorkshire, it would be considered as the World Championships.

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by DavidB
    Of course if a competition were held in Yorkshire, it would be considered as the World Championships.
    But would probably result in a 4-0 loss

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    But would probably result in a 4-0 loss

Steve

You could argue that with the number of Aussie's that came over to Hammersmith this year, that it is almost an international event now. I also hear rumours of a possible foreign assault on Blackpool next year too!

Thread Information