Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BritRoc

BritRoc

Congratulations to our own Will Hargreaves for his magnificent achivevments in the Britroc comp in Hove yesterday!!! 1st in the Open and 3rd in the Showcase. (With the help of his stunning partner Kate Miles, of course)

Also congratulations to Brady and Janet for winning the Intermediate, against some very stiff opposition I must add. Well worth the long journey down to Brighton!

Well done also to occasional forum contributor Clayton Tubbs who won the Showcase with the ab-fab Janine Myers.

Graham LeClerc and Sarah Johnson are to be congratulated for running the competition so successfully, particularly as this was the very first time the BritRoc was held. I understand that it will now be an annual event.

LilyB

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

They did us proud!!!

May I add my congratulations to both Brady and Janet for their excellent efforts in winning the intermediates at the weekend. You've both done Scotland proud and I'm chuffed to bits for the both of you.

Hopefully this shall help to further raise the profile of Scottish dancing and shall I'm sure it shall enhance the growing reputation of Mr Rogers.

Think this calls for a celebration

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: They did us proud!!!

Originally posted by Dave Hancock

Think this calls for a celebration
    Indeed, celebratory lunch in central glasgow sometime this week...whos coming ?

Well done Brady and Janet

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    You paying????

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    You paying????
    er..ok why not. Only if Brady and Janet are there though

Fantastic News

Congrulations Will, Clayton, Brady & Barry (from Brighton) + their paretners of course and to ALL the winners - and isn't great when the people you like win too !

Brady just keeps getting better and better

Save a dance for me a Rock Bottom (IOW) please

Originally posted by Minnie M
    Fantastic News

Congrulations Will, Clayton, Brady & Barry (from Brighton) + their paretners of course and to ALL the winners - and isn't great when the people you like win too !

Brady just keeps getting better and better

Save a dance for me a Rock Bottom (IOW) please
    Thankyou Minnie.

Can I just point out though that victory came at a very high price. Judges don't come cheap, and Lily was very expensive. But worse than catering for Lily's champagne tastes was the deep humiliation of having to dance the final in Leeds Utd shirt with "Viduka" written on the back of it in order to get maximum presentation marks out of DavidB.

Brady & Janet

Congratulations! Well done to both of you - it takes two to "Tango"!

Happy dancing and good luck in Musselburgh (believe you're not dancing together there, but still both dancing so have fun & show us how it's done!)

Originally posted by Will
    Thankyou Minnie.

Can I just point out though that victory came at a very high price. Judges don't come cheap
    I don't believe that for a nano second - I am still tingling from that dance with you at Rebel Yell - you are a well deserved winner !

You paying????
    Let's have a celebratory game of "Spot the accountant" in honour of Brady and Janet's success!

Blog Entries
    I have to add my praise to Lily's. The competition was a triumph - Graham LeClerc and Sarah Johnson organised a fantastic event. The venue was superb - the floor was fast and in good condition, there was plenty of seating around the dancefloor and there was a balcony with further seating. The music was excellent and enjoyable. The event *gasp* ran to time. The judges sat just in front of the audience for most of the events (DWAS was the only exception that I noticed) so that the dancers who were orienting moves or presenting themselves did not have to choose either/or between audience and judges. And for me (as a competitor) what was really great was that for several events - intermediate, advanced and open (possibly others but in the excitement I can't remember) they announced placings for all finalists and all finalists received a small prize (for those out of the top three a little towel with 'Britroc 2003 - Finalist' embroidered on it) which was just a nice touch.

It is my opinion that Britroc and Chance2Dance have set the standard for modern jive competitions (not meant as any disrespect to the Scotland comp - I didn't make it last year and can't go this year either :sorry ) - the Hammersmith competition has a way to go to make the grade.

Will and Kate were amazing - my voice is still croaky today Clayton and Janine were amazing. Ray and Jane Godman who won advanced were amazing - and had the dance of their lives! The St Mary's crew were fab - although it was a bit freaky to be in the bar next to a table of eight women in wedding dresses The Nottingham team did their lovely Moulin Rouge routine from Blackpool. I should also mention Taz and her partner (sorry - I don't know his name) - their showcase was lovely.

Pammy and her partner (Tony?) did really well - I can't wait for the video to watch the other intermediate couples doing their stuff. Pammy - your friend (I'm terrible - I can't remember her name sorry) must have been knackered! She must have been pleased to place (2nd?) in DWAS. Sheepy was looking good in Advanced and reached the final - and managed to keep his hat on (most of the time ). Apologies to anyone I have missed out.

The judging must have been unbelievably tough - not a task I would envy at all. But it was great to have Lily and DavidB on the panel - a tough job well done.

The standard of competition was really high all round - and what a great atmosphere. It was a late night by the time TwK and I had driven back to London - but well worth the lack of sleep .

Janet & Brady

Can I add my congratulations too??

Well done to both of you!

J

Originally posted by Divissima
    I
    It is my opinion that Britroc and Chance2Dance have set the standard for modern jive competitions (not meant as any disrespect to the Scotland comp - I didn't make it last year and can't go this year either :sorry ) - the Hammersmith competition has a way to go to make the grade.
    Sorry I can't let this pass without a comment - I wasn't there BUT I live in Hove and the Hove Centre is by far the best hall we have in this part of Sussex BUT you are a well over the top with your praise.

I thought the Blackpool Hall is far superior to Hove Town Hall/Centre (which has a floor like an icerink) and what about Hammersmith Palais, the floor may not be as good but the atmosphere far outways Hove.

AND the organisers for both Blackpool and Hammersmith were working with a lot lot more numbers than the relatively small Hove event.

If you are dishing out the compliments you are forgetting Andy Mc., who without his help there would be NO Britroc AND the major help of Nigel and other friends who without their help it would not have happened.

From the feed back I have had, Graham & Sarah did very well for a first attempt and I wish the all the sucess for 2004 and hopefully they will change the days around, making the Friday as the Warm-Up dance and Saturday for the competition.

Commercial Operator
    If you are dishing out the compliments you are forgetting Andy Mc., who without his help there would be NO Britroc
    Thank you Minnie. For that high praise I'll let your identity remain secret for a bit longer

p.s. You're giving the game away by saying where you've been and not been. Eventually someone will do the massive process of elimination and work out who you really are.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Eventually someone will do the massive process of elimination and work out who you really are.
    after all, how many 6 foot mice can there be ?

It was the best competition I've been too (not been to Scotland.) not in terms of me winning anything but presentation...

G

PS - Lily thanks for feedback to my partner

....... that dance with you at Rebel Yell
    Nice of you to say so Minnie, but I've not been able to put avatars to faces here. Would you be a friend of Lynda (of Lynda's List) by any chance? Or do I have to bribe Andy McGregor (who I also don't know) to find out?

She's too modest to mention this of course, but it would be remiss of me not to mention how well Divissima & Toby danced yesterday. The keep getting better and better, and this was no exception.

They cruised into the final of the intermediate, and finishing 4th must have missed out on a top 3 place by the whisker of an anorexic gnat that has eaten less in the last 3 weeks than David Blaine! And on another day, who knows?

Still their best result yet (to my knowledge), and thoroughly deserved.

Commercial Operator
    Sorry I can't let this pass without a comment - I wasn't there BUT I live in Hove and the Hove Centre is by far the best hall we have in this part of Sussex BUT you are a well over the top with your praise.

I thought the Blackpool Hall is far superior to Hove Town Hall/Centre (which has a floor like an icerink) and what about Hammersmith Palais, the floor may not be as good but the atmosphere far outways Hove.
    Minnie I have to strongly disagree here, and I was there. Yes, that floor was like an ice rink, and this did cause a few problems, most notably in the showcases, there were some moves where I need friction I just couldn't use them. But this venue is so much better than Hammersmith in almost every way, OK, it is not as big, but I cannot think of any other way in which it is not better. The atmosphere I felt at Hammersmith was mostly feeling overcrowded, I did not think the audience were that "involved" with the performances, and when it came to awards, at Hammersmith they felt it necessary to use canned applause, what was that all about? At Britroc none of that was necessary, the awards were swiftly presented to spontaneous applause, and the crowd was often vocal during the performances. Graham did an excellent job as MC, and kept things moving all the time. Certainly as a competitor, this was far more enjoyable than Hammersmith. Blackpool is a different case entirely, with that huge venue, and huge numbers.

The competition was superbly organised, especially considering it was a first time effort. I would have just one small gripe - the queuing to get in was about 20 minutes (though this compares with about an hour at Hammersmith). This could be speeded up by having an alphabetic split, so that there could be twin lanes for entry.

I was only half conscious of it myself with all the commotion of competing, but Mrs Sheepman commented to the organisers that "It was the best competition music I've ever heard."

DJs included Jon Brett and John Miller, so I'm amazed that the organisers didn't advertise the fact, I found it so hard to drag myself away before the end, as some great music was still playing.

Having the judges podium amongst the audience should be obvious really, so why is it the first time I've seen this? It is great to be able to perform to the judges AND the audience. (So why, why, why, did I do one dip with my back to the judges! Damn!)

And another big difference, I heard absolutely no comments about the judging. As far as I can see this means that there was no controversy about the results. OK we may have favourites and differences in tastes and style, but it seems to me that this was a big success for the McGregor judging method. For the DWAS, there was no tap on the shoulder method, so no problems there. The judges were a team of top dancers, all highly respected - Nigel & Nina, David & Lily Barker, Mark Wilson & Jackie Robins, and an independent judge who's name I'm afraid I've forgotten.

So the results as I remember them - apologies to anyone I've mispelt, or misplaced, or forgotten:-

Intermediate
    1. Brady and Janet (super smooooth!)
    2. Steven and Julie (I believe Julie has been dancing about 7 months!!)
    3. Michelle and Jonathan

Advanced
    1. Ray & Jane Godman
    2 & 3 (?)

Open
    1. Kate Miles & Will Hargreaves
    2. Tas & Adam (worth going to Rock Bottoms October just to see these 2, but sorry guys, I believe it's sold out! And I'm not selling my ticket for any less than £50,000!)
    3. Simon Rich & Christine Chen

Showcase
    1. Janine & Clayton
    2. Tas & Adam
    3. Kate Miles & Will Hargreaves

DWAS
    1. Su Fai & Lesley
    2. Ray Godman & Helen (aka "She")
    3. ?

Seniors
    1. Barry Torrens-Burton & Danielle (good to see at least one trophy staying in the City of B&Hove!)
    2. ?
    3. Lesley & ? (The Bunny girls!)

Three Jive
    1. Vivienne Wardman, Jennifer Whits, Alison Williams

A special mention to Christine Chen and Simon Rich on their third place, great to see them get some recognition (as if an overwhelming win in their Jive Masters heat wasn't enough!) This will probably be the last time we see these two compete, as Christine is given up the high level competing to spend more time with her children and partner, so I was so pleased to see them get a well deserved medal before she hangs up those funky costumes! (Also thanks to Christine for standing in for Mary with me, if there's a next time, I promise we'll have more than 30 minutes freestyle practice!)

And well done to Divi and TwK, that podium place still only just eluding them, re. the hat, did you notice in the final it stayed on throughout - just to prove that we can!

Finally a special mention to Helen (aka "She") she did so well in the Intermediate with a partner (Andy) that grabbed her on the day , as his partner was injured. She must have been the dancer on the floor longer than anyone else. She deserves a stamina award. As well as dancing through to the finals in 2 events, for both of these a "dance off" was needed. I lost count of the number of time she went off the floor, only to come straight back on for the next heat!

I know some people were upset that the promised separate hall with 12 hours of freestyle music didn't materialise. Unfortunate, but understandable without bigger numbers to help finance the event (I would make a wild guess at about 400 people there?) I wouldn't want to see this event making a loss, as it deserves to be repeated, and no doubt it will grow, the main hall and balcony can accomodate many more. I almost baulked myself at the £25 entry fee, (the same as the Ceroc champs) but if I am to choose between the 2, this is the one I will go for, certainly while Ceroc is at Hammersmith. Numbers may have been lower due to the event being on a Sunday, with long journeys home at the end. If you thought of going, but were put off, what was the reason?

Greg

Sorry Mr. Sheepman

I am sure the Britroc was well oganised, I am not doubting that, but it is a lot easier when the numbers are manageable. I was told there were about 300 there, the Centre holds a max of 700

Thread Information