Thread: Ryanscare

An Eclectic Toaster

Ryanscare

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    last time we went to blackpool we flew with ryanair which would have been ok if the plane hadnt developed an oil leak just before loading on the way back
    the flight was supposed to have been at 8pm sunday eve we sat in the lounge till about 23.45 then boarded the plane only to be told that there were no firemen left on duty and the plane couldnt take off that night we had to go to the lounge again
    when we got there they said they were closing the airport and we all had to leave it was a freezing snowy november night
    The airport staff didnt want to help at all until the police turned up and made them
    Although dont let that put you off i would think an oil leak is a rare occasion and i am sure flying would be ok
    On my last Ryanair flight, the pilot overshot the exit at the end of the runway (after a terrifying approach that was exactly what I imagined being in a Sopwith Camel was like) and had to swing a U-turn to get back to the exit. This was at Paris Beavois airport, whose departure lounge was a tent - OK, a marquee - at the time. When we sat waiting to fly back, the roof above us rippled as the preceding flight to Birmingham taxied out. Terrifying - never flown with them since.

Anyone else got a good Ryanair scare story?

Re: Ryanscare

Not Ryanair, but I was on this plane the day before it crashed killing all the passengers and crew.

Human error blamed for '05 Greek crash - Europe - MSNBC.com

There but for the grace of God and all that.

2005 - Virgin Air 777 from LA landing at Heathrow blew a tyre on landing. No problems as far as the landing was concerned but it was SIX HOURS before I got away from the airport.

Again, not Ryan Air... first flight I ever took was across to see my cousins in the US. Had to change to a local flight at JFK to get down to Louisville.

Sitting on a fairly empty plane on the runway at JFK, a voice comes over the intercom "well if there's something wrong with the goddamn plane, let's take the people off and put them on another one"... we took off about 10 minutes later I was very pleased to land in one piece at the other end!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    2005 - Virgin Air 777 from LA landing at Heathrow blew a tyre on landing. No problems as far as the landing was concerned but it was SIX HOURS before I got away from the airport.
    why? did they blame you for the tyre ? (or tire if it was a 'merkin plane )

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    why? did they blame you for the tyre ? (or tire if it was a 'merkin plane )
    Well, first we sat on the frocking runway for over an hour, while (I presume) Virgin and BAA argued about whether the plane should stay there blocking a runway or be towed out of the way possibly damaging the aircraft; then they disembarked us (down the old fashioned stair things - woo hoo) and we got on buses which took us to the terminal building. We filed in to the baggage hall and waited there for about half an hour until they announced that we would have to wait three hours for our baggage. That's the bit I find unacceptable: why couldn't they just take the same buses back out and unload the baggage?

After three hours we were indeed told we could go back to get our luggage, only to find we had to go through a corridor which is designed for airport staff going to work and contains a small room where they insisted on going through our hand luggage (in my case, a camera bag containing a newspaper which the frockwit insisted on leafing through page by page, because I had asked him to get a frocking move on) which meant that, by the time I had my luggage and was ready to phone for the mini-coach to take me to the off-airport parking, and wait for it to come and pick me up, over six hours had passed since touchdown.

Just to give an idea: on that minicoach was a couple whose plane had been diverted to Gatwick because ours was blocking the runway, they had been diverted, landed at Gatwick, passed through customs, collected their luggage and been bused to Heathrow and still arrived there in time to get the same courtesy bus to the carpark. I could have chewed bricks.

I was not at all impressed.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After our family holiday to Cuba a few weeks ago, my brother had to fly home a few days before us. So we said our goodbyes and told him to text, when he arrived home...

Later that evening about 6 hours after his flight was supposed to take off, he texted to say, the plane was broken and he was stuck at the airport, the next day I awoke to find several more texts, saying that during the night, they'd boarded the plane 3 times but eventually the crew had ran out of 'work hours', so everyone was taken to a hotel for yet another night.

All in in his journey home took 58hours!

This was with Thomas cook and apparently, they weren't even offered a drink!

But he's just received compensation of £1,200 for 3 of them, so at least they got something.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information