Thread: Blogging

Blogging

Was thinking of doing a blog for my course and experiences. Have never blogged before - anyone got any recommendations on a good site to use, how I set it up, and any advice etc?

Totally new to this but thought it might be interesting for myself to review and for others doing the same thing?

Will of course make it vague when it comes to comments on the students or any other individuals in case any ever stumble across it! More for general reflection etc.

Re: Blogging

Blogger and Wordpress seem to be the two most popular blogging sites to use. Blogger is one I've used for a bit over two years and is really easy to use. Wordpress is apparently better for customisation (but I don't know that from first hand experience).

You can also link in your blog to Facebook so that when you write an entry, it comes up as a 'note' on Facebook (in case you want to do that).

I don't have any particular advice, but it is really useful for remembering what you were doing - and my parents overseas love it for staying in touch for the day-to-day things, with photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    I don't have any particular advice, but it is really useful for remembering what you were doing - and my parents overseas love it for staying in touch for the day-to-day things, with photographs.
    Thanks. Totally new to it but I thought it would be good for my learning and teaching and experience. I could expand the subject range I guess over time, but mainly want it for that.

Blogger is very easy to use. I recommend it. LiveJournal is a lot more complex, I think, but then I've used it for years and I am rather fond of it.

I don't know if you can lock blogger from being viewed by just 'anyone' thought, which you can with LJ. It might be useful if you want to post something about a student if you don't want them to read it.

Ok, I just checked. You can set blogger to hide stuff if you don't want certain people reading it - but it looks like a 'blanket' setting, rather than by individual posts.

If you already have a googlemail or gmail account, setting up a blogger account can be done through them.

Yes - on reflection, the blog I kept going for about 8 months (on guess what - dancing) was, and is useful in many ways.

I can see where I was, what I was thinking and doing - and some of the people that I met and danced with.

Some of it seems a bit naive now - other bits just bizarre - and there are some funny reminders of events/incidents.

Yes - for me the 'diary' aspect of it is best - as well as the occasional comments from other dancers.

I might start it up again in a few months as the 'scene' is changing......

It's easy to do - the challenge is the discipline of posting.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Blogger is very easy to use. I recommend it. LiveJournal is a lot more complex, I think, but then I've used it for years and I am rather fond of it.

I don't know if you can lock blogger from being viewed by just 'anyone' thought, which you can with LJ. It might be useful if you want to post something about a student if you don't want them to read it.
    You are right, LJ support friends only (and even grouped friends) only messages. The geek in me feels compelled to mention it uses OpenID so people don't have to be a member of LJ to read your friends only posts (apparently blogger might get that eventually). Saying that I moved from LJ to Blogger a long time back and I quite like blogger even though I rarely post to it now-a-days.

As Feelingpink mentions you can like the blog to Facebook to turn your posts into notes automatically; which is kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    If you already have a googlemail or gmail account, setting up a blogger account can be done through them.
    That is true .

I still use both (LJ and blogger) for different things. And I'm not sure I want my facebook cluttered with any more useless rubbish than it already has But the 'friends only' feature is good if you want to write stuff only a select few can read.

I used to use a pbwiki, too, but that's more for just posting actual pieces of writing rather than 'diary, journal' style things.

If you don't have a googlemail or gmail account is it still easy enough to set up with Blogger?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    If you don't have a googlemail or gmail account is it still easy enough to set up with Blogger?
    As I recall - the answer is no (stand to be corrected) I had to use my gmail account to logon (I think it changed during 2007).

Maybe there are ways around - but I'm no techie in this area....

Yes and no. It's dead easy to set up a gmail account... then you have access to blogger (and the best damn email system out there).

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Yes and no. It's dead easy to set up a gmail account... then you have access to blogger (and the best damn email system out there).
    OK - where do I get a gmail account from?

OK - where do I get a gmail account from?
    Try http://mail.google.com and that should take you to a "pick a name" page. Or I could give you an invite to another email if you like.

Thread Information