Thread: Quadraphnia - led to my mate being beaten up

Quadraphnia - led to my mate being beaten up

I have been watching the film "Quadrephenia".

Really weird, but just like those many albums that I never bought, this was a film that I never saw until last night.I am watching it again tonight.

When I was a kid I was seriously into music. Led Zep were (and still are) one of my favourite bands. I also enjoyed the Who and loved Jimi Hendirx and Rainbow. I knew my rock history and loved those Pete Frame Rock family trees. Even today I can remember rock stuff ...like Ronny Dio was in a band called Elf, Chas and Dave (I think) were in Heads Hands and Feet etc etc. I won rock contests on the radio and was a minor "rock" celebrity with the local radio station. Yes, Phil Easton knew who I was! I wanted to be a rock journalist. A kind of cultured Geoff Barton. Rock (and guitaring) was probably the reason I didn't do Oxbridge! Joke.

I was therefore surprised when after this film Quadrephenia came out, suddenly loads of kids started to wear fishtail parkas. It was summer 1979.

My mate Mike had long hair. He was everything I wasn't. Caucausian. Long haired . Reasonably tall (well nto a short ass like me). Git. He even had Led Zeppelin beautifully embroidered in red on the back of his Wrangler jacket. But he couldn't fight. Alan Greenhalghs (a new mod) wanted to fight him and so there we all were watching this fight. I don't know why Mike agreed to it. He just wasn't that kind of lad. Then another mod, Bobby Perra walked past Mike and stamped him on the nose. Mods v Rockers.

A couple of years later I went to see Sammy Hagar. Like lots of other kids I waited outside for his autograph. (I don't know where it is now! Maybe on that album I won) Whilst waiting, lots of us were jumped...by mods. One Witchfynde fan was severely beaten. He could not speak he was so badly hurt. I wrote to the local DJ Phil Easton about it the next day and he read out my letter.

The thing is. I could never understand why mods did this.

The original sixties mods were into Small Faces, Booker T, Yardbirds, THe Who, Spencer Davis, ealry Deep Purple with Rod Small or whatever his name was...he became a surgeon. The Kinks, The Yardbirds (Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton), the Who, Spencer Davis (inc Stevie Winwood who later went into the brill smelly band Traffic) were kind of precursors or fathers of Heavy Rock. The new mods had the Who with arrows on their parkas, but their beef was really the era of the music that we liked. Ie Mod music is not diametrically oposed to heavy rock. It is just its precursor. I was amazed at their ignorance.They did not know their music. And there were loads of them.

Now seeing the film, I can see how the film's innaccuracies contributed to this stupidity, which actually lasted a few years. For example, the "rockers" were shown to be almost seventies heavy rockers....long haired people in bikers jackets but surely (save for the Hells Angels?) these didn't exist then. It was the pre hippy era.

So the new mods, it they ahd had their way, would have beaten up Ritchie Blackmore, ERic Clapton, the Who, Stevie Winwood, Status Quo etc not realising that these rock heroes were original mods!

Can anyone help me here. Yes I have too much time....
    Last edited by Ste; 22nd-February-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Clarity

Re: Quadraphnia - led to my mate being beaten up

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    {snip long socio-political diatribe prompted by watching a musical...}
    Quick! Somebody run and get his medicine! He thinks he's me.

Blog Entries

Can anyone help me here.
    I'll PM you the name of a good doctor.

I have been watching the film "Quadrephenia".

Really weird,

this is relay weird, I was talking to 'Mod Chick' in the loo's at SFunk tonight just about this film, and been a mod, in brum.

we were working my dates out, I was a punk in 1977 to about 1980 then had a spell at been a skinhead, and then came mods, or was mods and skinheads at the same time I just flitted between them all?

anyway I went to Weston super mare on the back of a scooter, it had loads of mirrorson it, all at about the same time as Quadrephenia, and we were all ways fighting, I think I spent from 1977 to 1984 fighting some one or another.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    this is relay weird, I was talking to 'Mod Chick' in the loo's at SFunk tonight just about this film, and been a mod, in brum.

we were working my dates out, I was a punk in 1977 to about 1980 then had a spell at been a skinhead, and then came mods, or was mods and skinheads at the same time I just flitted between them all?

anyway I went to Weston super mare on the back of a scooter, it had loads of mirrorson it, all at about the same time as Quadrephenia, and we were all ways fighting, I think I spent from 1977 to 1984 fighting some one or another.
    I hate dressing and being catagorised as belonging to specific group. I like to infilterate every group like a chameleon.

I married a greaser though. He was always after the Mods. You may have met him!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I hate dressing and being catagorised as belonging to specific group. I like to infilterate every group like a chameleon.

I married a greaser though. He was always after the Mods. You may have met him!

yeah that,

I used to flitt between the groups depending on what was happening and what I fanced wearing, and I also did Northern Soul dancing in my 'outfits' people seem to get used to my strange ways in the end

yeah that,

I used to flitt between the groups depending on what was happening and what I fanced wearing, and I also did Northern Soul dancing in my 'outfits' people seem to get used to my strange ways in the end
    Plus you had to wear " a look" to get into certain clubs. If you didn't look the part they wouldn't let you in.

, I think I spent from 1977 to 1984 fighting some one or another.

I guess we have a possible for the fancy dress theme for Southport May

Mods & Rockers (alias MJ vs WCS)
    I can envisage the battles on the decking already, best forget the marquee!

This is true , bowling alleys stop you leaving 'old shoes' as many were leaving their old shoes and keeping the red shoes the bowling alley provided

There was meant to be mods v skins type thing going on in Kingston at the time, every monday night. Maybe more civilised then as you had pre arranged dates to beat each other up

I wanted to be a mod but my mum wouldnt let me have a scooter

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I wanted to be a mod but my mum wouldnt let me have a scooter
    LOL... I wanted a real bike!! But, I was allowed a hairdryer with wheels. Thankfully, I didn't take up that permission...

Mods V Rockers: GREAT theme... lol...

Mods V Skins?? Did that happen?? Or was it just an excuse?

We had some Grebes (Greebos/Rockers/etc) V Casuals (sons of mods??)stuff. Any other, erm, rivalries??

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    LOL... I wanted a real bike!! But, I was allowed a hairdryer with wheels. Thankfully, I didn't take up that permission...

We had some Grebes (Greebos/Rockers/etc) V Casuals (sons of mods??)stuff. Any other, erm, rivalries??
    My friend was driving a car illegally at 16 anyway but mummy said a scooter/motor bike will kill you so if you get one you cant park in the same street as where you live. You wait till your 17 and get a car and kill someone else, something like that

Skin heads and mods were def more of a 'force' in my area

Apart from the famous beaches type stuff most fights seem to break out bewteen mod typs and skin heads

Rockers aways seem bigger and more 'removed'

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Maybe more civilised then as you had pre arranged dates to beat each other up
    local villages when i was growing up in the 80's reguraly pre-arranged nights to fight... you could even blag a ring side space if you were in the know

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Plus you had to wear " a look" to get into certain clubs. If you didn't look the part they wouldn't let you in.

I allways got in

Quote Originally Posted by mick s View Post
    I guess we have a possible for the fancy dress theme for Southport May

Mods & Rockers (alias MJ vs WCS)
    I can envisage the battles on the decking already, best forget the marquee!
    I like this one

I like this one [/QUOTE]

The fighting or the fancydress theme?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post

I wanna be a Hells Angel
    Get me a great big bike that does a ton
    I wanna have a gang bang
    But I can't, cos I get told off by me Mum.

Sung to the tune of.....well, pretty tuneless really come to think of it.
    Was a Greasers ditty.

There're the ones like Danny in Grease that do the "hand jive"

I can still remember The Teds in London, they were pretty scary to look at.

The Mods, - what did they wear apart from parkas and hairstyles? Drove Vespas, pretty boring Zzzzz

Thread Information