Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being a role model

Re: Being a role model

the sweeping generalisation of you're famous so now you have to live up to being a role model.
    I believe it becomes their social responsibility to do just that. We, the public, have raised them to that status and they then benefit. On that we will have to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    I believe it becomes their social responsibility to do just that. We, the public, have raised them to that status and they then benefit. On that we will have to differ.
    Consider me in agreement of us differing

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I think we might all have differnt idea's about who is and isn't a good rolw modle, mine might not be yours.

Indeed, i have heard people say what a bad role model David Beckham is although when pressed this seems to be more related to his choice of wife than anything else. I thought that his reaction to the sending off in the world cup in 1998 was an excellent example to any young person. There was speculation that he would leave england because of the amount of stick he would get for what was only really a silly impulsive act. But did he run away? No. Did he get a lot of stick? Yes. What did he do? Didn't respond at all and was a crucial player in them winning the treble in 1998-9. In the decisive final league game he scored the equaliser after they had gone behind. In the Champions League Final both man u's late goals came from corners taken by.... David Beckham. Strangely enough the press don't seem to come up with this very much.

*In case anyone was wondering i am not a man u fan either

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    And that may well be a problem with society today - too much value is placed by some on celebrity. But just because some today think being famous/rich and in the public eye is something to aspire to does not automatically mean that someone has to live up to anything. In an earlier post I have stated those in the public eye that I think do have responsibility as a role model, I do not agree with the sweeping generalisation of you're famous so now you have to live up to being a role model.
    Maybe the public shouldnt help people who are bad role models by buying their records, shelling out for season tickets, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Indeed, i have heard people say what a bad role model David Beckham is although when pressed this seems to be more related to his choice of wife than anything else.
    Well, you know, it's a bit like letting the ball between your hands when you're David Seaman, isn't it? Such an astonishing mistake that it's all you can think about whenever you hear his name...

I dare say Posh is alright; she doesn't seem to be actively nasty. It's just - she's so - poncey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Maybe the public shouldnt help people who are bad role models by buying their records, shelling out for season tickets, etc?
    but do we know how they might misuse their fame and earning power, before they have arrived? Difficult to see how we can even get close to that question or it's answer.

Think back to the Miss World events. Each "contestant" had to tell the judges what they would do for society if elected to the role.
    Presumably, those with the best intentions won the event. Nah, but at least the organisers tried to placate the detractors by adding something other body assets to determine the winner.

but do we know how they might misuse their fame and earning power, before they have arrived? Difficult to see how we can even get close to that question or it's answer.
    Well you dont but maybe by shunning them when you know that they are a bad role model you may give out the right message?

gosh what a load of piffle!

its there responsibility to live there life as they see fit, i'm sure your doing just the same!

I does make me mad ... a sports person here got banned from his sport... coz he took recreactional drugs... he never put himself as a role model, he simply was good at sport, and now he is banned for 2 years!!!

Come on... how many people drink coffee, tea, smoke, drink wine... all are drugs...

It is getting silly.

A teacher - is a role model to the pupils, but if the teacher smoked weed at the weekends - does that mean they should lose thier job!!!!!

we all have "little things we do"...

The media has a lot to answer for.

Next you will be telling me, just coz I teach dance, I need to be slim, hot and in my 20's

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I does make me mad ... a sports person here got banned from his sport... coz he took recreactional drugs... he never put himself as a role model, he simply was good at sport, and now he is banned for 2 years!!!
    Unfortunately as a star in any field be it sports, music or acting whether you like it or not you do become a role model its part of the game.

All stars want the people amongst us who are not lucky enough to have the talent that they have look up at them and want to be them. And anyone who has had children will know they will copy these "stars" because they certainly want to be like them and think if its ok for the stars to act in a certain way then its ok for them to do so too

Come on... how many people drink coffee, tea, smoke, drink wine... all are drugs...
    funnily enough they are all legal drugs (not going into the dangers of recreational drugs here including alcohol, tobacco and caffeine ) which makes them a small amount better than the illegal ones and dont tell me that any form of weed should be legal as they are all more addictive do more damage and do lead to the more dangerous "recreational" drugs

A teacher - is a role model to the pupils, but if the teacher smoked weed at the weekends - does that mean they should lose thier job!!!!!
    If they are caught doing it then without a doubt they should lose their jobs
    we all have "little things we do"...
    once again yep but all legal or if we get caught doing illegal stuff we deserve any punishment we get (oh that includes driving my car faster than the speed limit which is what i do that is illegal)
    The media has a lot to answer for
    true it teaches our children its ok to do drugs of any kind

I am so opposite to your opinions on this Martingold.

I respect what you are saying.

I just don't see, that when a person excels in what they are doing.... they have to be lilly white, or they get cast down.

Look to the good things they do...

I do not do drugs that are illegal.. but I am not going to cast stones on those who do... even if they happen to excel in a particular relm.

Recently we had an election - the "main guy" had been to a "lap dancing - pole dancing" place in the USA (this was pointed out by the opposition)... He simply said "yeah I did that" -

He is human - he is now the "main man"...

Re: "Severe exhaustion"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    In that context , role model is a bit of a slippery concept. Is David Suchet a role model? He does his job, goes home to his family. What's to model? Is Natasha Kaplinsky a role model? Isn't it only the excessively dreadful or the excessively admirable who ever wander into 'role model' territory?
    Just because someone is on TV does not make them a role model.

If they are selling an 'image' as well as a product, then they are moving into being a role model. And many music stars are more about image than product!

If what they seek to portray into the world is their image, lifestyle, who they are, as well as what they do - as part of marketing themselves - then they are putting themselves into role model territory. If anything about them is saying 'look at me, don't you want to be like me?' (eg buy this product I am advertising) then its even more highlighted.

Amy Winehouse, by singing songs like Rehab, has identified her product (her music) with her lifestyle and who she is, So it could be arguable that she is, to some extent, seen as a role model.

Re: "Severe exhaustion"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Just because someone is on TV does not make them a role model.

If they are selling an 'image' as well as a product, then they are moving into being a role model. And many music stars are more about image than product!

If what they seek to portray into the world is their image, lifestyle, who they are, as well as what they do - as part of marketing themselves - then they are putting themselves into role model territory. If anything about them is saying 'look at me, don't you want to be like me?' (eg buy this product I am advertising) then its even more highlighted.

Amy Winehouse, by singing songs like Rehab, has identified her product (her music) with her lifestyle and who she is, So it could be arguable that she is, to some extent, seen as a role model.
    Is she not just singing a song?

I am so opposite to your opinions on this Martingold.

I respect what you are saying.
    so i see
    I just don't see, that when a person excels in what they are doing.... they have to be lilly white, or they get cast down.
    As i said before i dont think anyone should be lilywhite just that if their chosen path through life means they become a roll model then they should make damn certain that what they do in public is legal

Look to the good things they do...
    unfortunately children want to rebel which means they wont copty the good things just the ones their parents and the law says are bad

I do not do drugs that are illegal.. but I am not going to cast stones on those who do... even if they happen to excel in a particular relm.
    i have no problem with what anyone wants to do in private its when it becomes public and therefore in the participants eyes socially acceptable that i have concerns
    Recently we had an election - the "main guy" had been to a "lap dancing - pole dancing" place in the USA (this was pointed out by the opposition)... He simply said "yeah I did that" -

is lap dancing illegal ? nope and good for him for being honest which is a rare commodity in a politician
    Now if he were to say i do illegal drugs etc etc i certainly wouldn't vote for him. Now he could say in his manifesto i intend to change the law then it becomes a totally different story
    My whole point is this people in the public eye should behave within the law when in public
    In private they can do whatever they want

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, Kevin Rudd.

From here, he looks extremely impressive - in three months he's signed the Kyoto protocol, apologised to Aborigines and embarassed the hell out of the Japanese whaling - sorry, that should read "whale research" - industry.

A bit like Tony Blair in 1997, in fact - arguably even more so.

Although I can't see TB ever loosening up enough to actually enjoy himself

Yes, Kevin Rudd's a good example of different aspects of being a role model.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    gosh what a load of piffle!
    I won't be getting a rep point from you this week!
    To suggest that we in general do not have social responsibilities is effectively saying that civilised society has no place in our world.
    Coming into teaching was in part my social responsibility.
    Moving to Special Ed is likewise.
    Obeying the laws of this land is social responsibility.
    Breaking the law, whether in private or in public, is flouting responsibility.
    My biggest downfall is speedlimits. I accept that I will be punished, eventually. I hope I am not setting a bad example (poor role model) for others.

I does make me mad
    We don't often have the more rustic members of the forum being so...self-revelatory.

Do tell what it is about yourself that has this effect.

For an athlete to take recreational drugs that have no effect on his ability to train, on the development of his body, or on his ability to perform at the requisite time, would of course be his own personal decision.

Anything else is cheating. That's why they get banned from the sport.

Some drugs which are generally classified as 'recreational' may have a dual-effect, that is they may have some performance-enhancing potential. They obviously have to be banned otherwise athletes could say "Dude! I only took a to watch the colours, ma-an."

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    For an athlete to take recreational drugs that have no effect on his ability to train, on the development of his body, or on his ability to perform at the requisite time, would of course be his own personal decision.
    That was the thing and he still gets banned for 2 years - [which is what makes me mad!]

It is not that they say - "hey kids do this" - it is something they do in their private life, like many people do... then someone goes to the press, makes some money, and the whole thing gets blown out of proportion.

I know a lot of school teachers who smoke dope (in thier private life) - this does not make them bad teachers... and it should not stop them being teachers.

And to say smoking dope leads to harder drugs is just ill informed...
    That is the same as saying drinking beer leads to cocaine...

I know a lot of school teachers who smoke dope (in thier private life) - this does not make them bad teachers... and it should not stop them being teachers.
    funnily enough it does as any form of dope causes anxiety and paranoia when coming down from it
    and i would think a paranoid teacher is extremely bad for our kids

And to say smoking dope leads to harder drugs is just ill informed...
    That is the same as saying drinking beer leads to cocaine...
    Nope but getting addicted to drink leads to drinking more alcoholic drinks and more often to the extent where you cant do without it
    This is the same with all recreational drugs
    And to think anything else is just pandering to the drug culture

Thread Information