Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Being a role model

Blog Entries

Re: Being a role model

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    funnily enough it does as any form of dope causes anxiety and paranoia when coming down from it
    and i would think a paranoid teacher is extremely bad for our kids
    Absolutely. Weed, ganja or whatever its called is an addictive drug that completely ****s with ya head whether you do it at weekends, weekdays or whenever. A person taking this drug will never be as bright, clever, balanced or even minded as a non drug taking person. FULL STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    unfortunately children want to rebel which means they wont copty the good things just the ones their parents and the law says are bad
    I don't agree. I can just about remember being a teenager and I did silly things like smoking and going to pubs before I was 18 because I loved it. It was great doing grown up things, I didn't once think to myself "HA...! My mum would be really annoyed with me if she found out, aren't I clever".

I remember going to see Happy Monday's when they were in vogue, I saw Shaun Ryder and Bez off their tits on stage looking bloody awful and making total twats of themselves. I was NOT thinking "I want to be like that". I believe the same for the likes of Amy Winehouse...I suspect most teenagers look at her and DO NOT want to look like her. I don't think you can call her a role model and I don't think anyone with half a brain would aspire to be like her.

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    I won't be getting a rep point from you this week!
    To suggest that we in general do not have social responsibilities is effectively saying that civilised society has no place in our world.
    Coming into teaching was in part my social responsibility.
    Moving to Special Ed is likewise.
    Obeying the laws of this land is social responsibility.
    Breaking the law, whether in private or in public, is flouting responsibility.
    My biggest downfall is speedlimits. I accept that I will be punished, eventually. I hope I am not setting a bad example (poor role model) for others.
    Exceeding the speed limit IS breaking the law and therefor not socially responsible. Is it setting a bad example? Eh yeah, because it's illegal. It could be argued that your little downfall is more potentially harmful to civilized society than recreational drug use as there is more chance of you doing severe damage to others.

Why can't you stick to the speed limit? Your post shows there isn't enough of a deterrent for people who want to drive too fast, but don't possess an adequate level of social responsibility to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I remember going to see Happy Monday's when they were in vogue, I saw Shaun Ryder and Bez off their tits on stage looking bloody awful and making total twats of themselves. I was NOT thinking "I want to be like that". I believe the same for the likes of Amy Winehouse...I suspect most teenagers look at her and DO NOT want to look like her. I don't think you can call her a role model and I don't think anyone with half a brain would aspire to be like her.

Blog Entries

Dont get me wrong by the way, im no angel.

Ive broken the law by speeding (not been caught tho) but nature has a way of ensuring you do learn by your mistakes i think.

I wrote off my lexus and escaped with a sore wrist.. how to this day i walked out of that car i do not know but it was my fault. I was driving too fast and not concentrating. Thankfully it was only me that suffered and my driving has slowed down since then in a major way.

I wont bore you with other bits and peices but i would think, if i was in the public eye, i would fall quite short of being a role model. I would think there are very few of us that could, hand on heart, say that they have not done things they wish they had not.

So, are there really role models in this world or are there just some people who are better liars, cover uppers, sneaks, private around.??

Why can't you stick to the speed limit?
    safety limits like 20, 30, 40 & 50, I generally stick very close to, although 20 is not easy. I suspect I annoy those behind that want to flout these safety limits, but I value life too much for that to bother me.
    The experimental limit brought in by Barbara Castle and the fuel saving limits that arrived in the 70s have little to do with safety and more on politics.
    I set my speed to suit the conditions and traffic density.
    No sane person sets out to have an accident.
    An accident is the result of a mistake. That mistake is often caused by misreading the condition of the road and can happen at virtually any speed, legal or otherwise.
    Yes, the damage resulting from an accident is proportional to the speed, but speed of itself is not the cause.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    Yes, the damage resulting from an accident is proportional to the speed
    The energy, and hence usually the damage, is proportional to the square of speed.

So if you go twice as fast, you're carrying four times the energy, and can expect there to be four times the damage if you have a crash.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    The energy, and hence usually the damage, is proportional to the square of speed.

So if you go twice as fast, you're carrying four times the energy, and can expect there to be four times the damage if you have a crash.
    that's what I said, proportional.

Thread Information