Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which lesson number?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Which lesson number?

They run in sequence, the following week it will be Mon 10, Tues 12, Wed 2 and Thurs 4.
    Easy
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator

Molly I do appreciate what you are asking here and it is great to see someone so keen to learn.

When I first started I thought I needed to learn the moves. People said to me on here ' you don't need to learn the moves'. I really didn't understand. If I didn't know the moves then how would I know what I was supposed to do? However as time passes that statement that made no sense to me then, now makes complete sense. Now I would be advising you to not learn the moves.

The best advice I could give to you is to relax and not worry about it (easy to say I know). Just try to feel the moves. If you feel yourself being led forward then move forward. If it goes wrong it is no big deal. Another piece of advice would be not to lead yourself into moves if the lead isn't sure what he's doing. This doesn't help either of you.

Good luck with it all.

Another piece of advice would be not to lead yourself into moves if the lead isn't sure what he's doing.
    I find even as an intermediate that a strong follow helps me to remember where my lead should be. Yes blanks do happen with the new moves, and a little teamwork between experienced dancers keeps the move going.

But beginners together is a completely different story.
    A beginner should try not to dance with their brand new beginner partner on those first few classes, tempting as it is since they came together to learn to dance.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    Now I would be advising you to not learn the moves.
    Ironically, now I'm not so sure...

The really bad thing about learning moves is the preconception that moves = dancing. But learning moves is not necessarily a bad thing* - it gives you something to work from, and if you learn technique also, you're doing well.

Alas, what MJ doesn't teach you is technique. So you either have to develop it by yourself (slow, difficult and subjective), or you have to learn it from other dance forms.

But, if you're aware that "It's not all about moves", then learning the moves is not bad, for either a follower or a leader. Just avoid the back-leading traps, is all.

* Except the pretzel of course.

Yes, a Pretzel and a safe Dip must be taught.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I wonder if giving away that DVD to newcomers might be a mistake. I would have made it a gift after five lessons, as an incentive to do that many, and as a revision aid.
    I had to pay an extra pound on the first night to get the introductionary DVD. It was well worth it though as you then learn the names of most of the beginners moves so they stick in your head quicker. Also the DVD is just fun to watch has a real catchy tune on it. It also helped give me a little more confidence and motivation to keep going in the first few weeks. Then after that you get hooked.

As for your question Molly, I wouldn't worry about the sequence of classes, I would just go to Ceroc when it's most convenient for you then after 10-12 weeks or so step up to the intermediate class but keep doing the beginners class as a warm up, that way after a few months you would have run through all the beginners moves a couple of times and be really good at them.

I still enjoy coming in half way through the beginners class and doing it as a warm up. I would do the whole class if I wasn't so lazy and got to the venue quicker but it never works out that way.

Enjoy your dancing.

DD.

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    a strong follow helps me to remember where my lead should be.
    Well that's one way to refer to it!
    Last edited by Steven666; 21st-February-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Bold

strong follow

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Well that's one way to refer to it!
    That's our standard quip in Edinburgh.
    You must be too parochial. Come and visit.

Steven,
    I used to live in Knutsford. But, before I knew about dance. Shame I missed out on all those local venues and the Ladies that fill them.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Ironically, now I'm not so sure...

As a follower, as long as you learn the movements involved in the moves rather than getting hung up on "this bit follows that bit and then you do this bit and go back to that bit...": It's the bit that you need to look at rather than the follows that,and then...

Once you get the bits, you are then learning just how many or's there could be to the next bit {Of course most leads are aware of the or's, they just tend to follow their own ingrained patterns... my self included }

Thread Information