Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Swish 2008 feedback

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Swish 2008 feedback

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    £370 for a week doesn't seem too bad - proportionally about the same as an average weekender. Depends on what you're getting for it, of course (food? What's the actual accommodation like? etc.), but it's not obviously a ripoff - compared to £239 for the Chalet From Hell for a weekend.
    £239 where's that for? I usually pay around £130 for a weekender as I always go for the top chalets. I'm sure it's not a rip off, but my personal choice to spend £370 wouldn't be to stay on the Isle of Wight. I'd rather get a late deal and have a week somewhere hot.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    £239 where's that for?
    From here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    It was basically a 12' by 12' box, dark, tatty, poorly furnished and probably hadn't seen even a paint brush in years. The main room was about 12' by 8' with one single bed. There was a TV and a kettle but only one square pin socket for them both, there was a 5 amp round pin socket there though, probably from the last time the room was refurbished. There was another double socket on the wall by the basin (no, I'm not making this up, regulations do change over time) but nowhere to stand the kettle. The rest of this little box was divided into two, one being a shower and the other a toilet, both with their curling lino on the floor. There was no fridge. On the Saturday in particular the room stank of cleaning fluid or something. This was part of the "luxury" I was paying £239 for.
    Do keep up...

Anyways:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I usually pay around £130 for a weekender as I always go for the top chalets. I'm sure it's not a rip off, but my personal choice to spend £370 wouldn't be to stay on the Isle of Wight. I'd rather get a late deal and have a week somewhere hot.
    Oh sure, but we're talking about dance holidays, not holidays in general.

I've been reading the other glowing reviews of Swish, wondering if I was being a little harsh and unfair, but in my personal view I'm not - I am sticking to what I said as that was my overall opinion of Swish.

As regards the demographics, audience and atmosphere of Swish I think that Rocky has made a very valid observation -
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    ... I guess it is not the place to come by yourself unless you know a lot of the other people attending - and it is not the place to go if you want to dance until dawn.
    I feel that is a very fair comment, it was certainly echoed by some other solo travellers to the event. I'm not complaining about it, it is a factual observation and could be seen as a plus point for other attendees, but it is something I wish had been made clear before the event.

For me the main problem with Swish was the wide discrepancy between what was sold and what was delivered, Lynn summed that up nicely -
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    It does seem to me that the main problems with those who weren't happy wasn't the event itself as such, but that it didn't live up to expectations.

Calling something 5* raises a very high standard to be met.
    When you are selling (and pricing) something as a luxury event, different to the others, better facilities etc. etc. then you need to deliver on that. The only really good thing I can find to say about Swish over and above other Ceroc weekenders is the food, but even that was just OK and it certainly wasn't anywhere near 5* luxury. So just where is this extra value that has been sold ?

It certainly isn't in the dance floors. Although the main arena at Swish was very good I thought that the main room at Blaze and most certainly Breeze was better. Both of those other events had good sized second rooms and all day music as well (OK, Blaze was not good on that, but it was there). Swish had the very small Gallery Lounge as a second room and the small area in the theatre pressed into service. The entertainment at Swish was nothing special, even the other facilities at Potters are matched pretty well by the likes of Pontins Brean Sands (Breeze).

I did not formally complain about the accommodation at the time, I had got what was on the booking (a single bungalow) and the fact that the overall standard of the chalets was lower than a Pontins was something I was stuck with. I did consider complaining on the Saturday about the smell of cleaning fluid, but by then I had no real desire to exchange one pokey 12' box for another. To sell that accommodation as 3* is not acceptable in my view. Neither was I impressed by the response from Glen -
    Quote Originally Posted by GB Dancer View Post
    Potters recognise that some of their bungalow accommodation is getting a little bit tired hence why they have started to revamp three quarters of their bungalow accommodation with new decor, better beds, furniture etc so for Swish 2009, hopefully the accommodation standard should be a lot better.
    For "a little bit tired" read shabby and outdated, what I find completely unacceptable is knowingly passing off this "little bit tired" accommodation as some form of luxury and charging accordingly. Putting people into that and then waiting for the complaints before you sort it out is not what I would expect. No matter how much paint and MFI furniture goes in it will still be a pokey little box, the accommodation at Breeze and Blaze is better.

Had Swish been priced at Breeze/Blaze levels then I would have no complaints at all, the good would have balanced out the bad and overall value for money achieved. But it wasn't, it was priced at top whack and then fell down badly on the delivery of that promise.

For me Swish was not worth the money. YMMV.

Had Swish been priced at Breeze/Blaze levels then I would have no complaints at all, the good would have balanced out the bad and overall value for money achieved. But it wasn't, it was priced at top whack and then fell down badly on the delivery of that promise.
    I wish I could have summed it up so succintly

In mentioning my friends I forgot to mention my Kathleen who obviously helped to make my weekend very special.

I mentioning my favourite teachers I forgot to mention their partners/assistants being one or three.

Finally, as she will not add her own comments on the forum I asked Kathleen what she though of Swish.

Being a person of few words. Kathleen said she thought the venue was wonderful and that she thought the blues room is the most romantic that she has danced in.

Thread Information