Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swish 2008 feedback

Blog Entries

Re: Swish 2008 feedback

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Why's that a contentious thing to say?
    quite simply, its not.

Punters opinions are always going to be mixed. Organisers cant please everybody.

If you have worked hard on a weekender, its not easy to listen to negative comments full stop. Its the same for freestyle nights and this will never change. All involved will defend it, all paying for it will slaughter it if they didn't enjoy it for whatever reason and people reading will make up their own minds regardless because as we all know, what some love, others will hate.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    So input from TwK or ZW or Dance Demon would come across as the voice of Jive Addiction?
    That would depend on which gig ZW was doing at the time Do you DJ for anyone else other than Ceroc then SF?
    And yes as DJ said, if they were giving feedback on Southport where they had been working, it would be 'staff' giving a different view to the paying customer.
    Last edited by Cruella; 21st-February-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I don't think SF was stamping down on anyone, bitchiness aside - he was just giving his impression of the event.
    I said 'it will still come across as' that's not the same as 'you are intending to' and to be fair it's the bitchiness that gets people on the defensive and turns a feedback thread into a slanging match. Would be nice just to hear the feedback without the bitchiness for once.

Commercial Operator

So input from TwK or ZW or Dance Demon would come across as the voice of Jive Addiction?
    Any input I have about weekenders I have been on tends to be a review of how my weekend went. I don't think anyone would perceive anything I said to be the "voice of Jive Addiction", I'm just just fortunate enough to be an employee. My main post about February Southport was;

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Another Southport under the belt, and a very pleasant experience it was too. Great to meet up with people you haven't seen since the last one. Didn't do a lot of dancing on Friday or Saturday. Seemed to either be working or sleeping most of the time. Sunday night was best for me, as I finished all my Djing slots at 2.30am and managed to relax a bit and do a bit of dancing. Got a couple of fab dances with Minnie Mouse ( great to see you again Lynda) and one with Cruella in the main hall to "Do Your Thang"..( amazing how a few bottles of pear cider can help you let your hair down)... There seemed to be a real buzz going on on Sunday night..
    My set in the blues room on Friday night got cut short at 6.30am when the Fire alarm went off and we all got evacuated. Thankfully it was a false alarm, as my laptop and all my CDs were still at the decks
    Saturday night /Sunday morning was great. Finally gave up at around 9.30am to have breakfast before heading off for a good kip.
    Really enjoyed playing in the Latin room on Saturday night, It was a refreshing change.

So once again a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. I've been to every Southport, and I can't recall them being anything other than great. This one was no different. well done once again to John & Wes
    just a review of my weekend really.

Blog Entries

Reality check needed me thinks.

It's quite simply a forum with a load of people with far too much time on their hands, who most of the time discuss things they know very little about, so speculate or waffle on purely for the sake of it.
    I don't think SF was stamping down on anyone, bitchiness aside - he was just giving his impression of the event. As was Rocky.

:
    Me thinketh you needeth to readeth the posteth againeth.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Me thinketh you needeth to readeth the posteth againeth.
    That's not bitchy, it's accurate.

Well there you have it. Staying in a holiday camp on the east coast of England in February is not for the faint-hearted. Especially when you have comedians who can't accept they might have a slightly different demographic to try to keep from leaving their seats.

I must agree with a previous comment though. Southport it certainly ain't.
    My impression has always been that this weekend would appeal to the core MJ following who fancy a reasonably interesting weekend away with someone else cooking the food, a drink or so, a stroll on the beach and the odd dance now and again, and why stay up late when your MJ classes back home end around 10.30 and 11.30 is nearly pumpkin time...you pay your money and take your choice. What's 5-star to some isn't likely to be 5-star in holiday camp terms.

It would be nice to hear though from some more people who actually went along as ordinary paying punters. Thanks to Nebula for starting the thread, I had wondered whether any forumites actually went.

Keefy, what exactly was wrong with the bungalow? How'd it compare to chalets at other (Pontins) weekenders?
    I've only been to two other weekenders, Breeze and Blaze II last year, so that's what I'll compare Swish with. I was travelling alone to Swish, as I normally do, I like my peace and quiet so I'm used to paying a premium for single occupancy accommodation.

Breeze (Pontins?) was as expected, I did comment at the time that it was basic and a bit tatty, but it was worth what I paid for it. At Breeze I had a Classic apartment to myself, it was quite roomy with a small double sofa bed, a kitchen, a separate bedroom and a bathroom. At £149 for the weekend I got what I paid for and enjoyed it.

Blaze II was a caravan park, although tin boxes are by their very nature cold and damp the caravan was very nice indeed. There I booked a Silver caravan to myself, it was very modern, probably new that year. There was a nice sitting area, a fully equipped kitchen with microwave, a separate toilet and shower room, a smaller bedroom, the main double bedroom was en-suite! I paid £199 for that weekend, that did include food (dire). I got what I paid for and enjoyed the weekend.

Then we come to Swish... now this is top-of-the-range, the luxury 5* resort with 3* accommodation, I had got a cancellation and had managed to get a single bungalow to myself. It was basically a 12' by 12' box, dark, tatty, poorly furnished and probably hadn't seen even a paint brush in years. The main room was about 12' by 8' with one single bed. There was a TV and a kettle but only one square pin socket for them both, there was a 5 amp round pin socket there though, probably from the last time the room was refurbished. There was another double socket on the wall by the basin (no, I'm not making this up, regulations do change over time) but nowhere to stand the kettle. The rest of this little box was divided into two, one being a shower and the other a toilet, both with their curling lino on the floor. There was no fridge. On the Saturday in particular the room stank of cleaning fluid or something. This was part of the "luxury" I was paying £239 for.

That is what I meant by disgusting accommodation, it was outclassed by both Breeze and Blaze IMHO. I have stayed at better sub £20 B&B's, to call it 3* is laughable. I don't care if there are worse places to stay for dance weekenders, I was staying at Swish, which promised much but quite frankly didn't deliver it.

But accommodation is only part of the story, although for me it was the final straw as I had nowhere comfortable to escape to for a break. Unlike Breeze and Blaze there was only one good sized dance floor at Swish, that was the bowling arena with the surprisingly good chipboard covering. The Theatre floor was just the semi-circle in front of the stage, in all honesty it was too small and at least one workshop was moved. The Gallery/Blues room was also a very small floor, that was mainly used for the beginners classes. There were no water fountains near the floors, there was just the one hidden away in the squash courts.

As I commented earlier the food was good, it wasn't 5* and neither was the service but it was certainly above the usual Pontins type food. We were of course paying for the entertainment as well... oh dear. I only saw the Friday night and that was sort of OK in an end-of-the-pier entertainment sort of way. Quality it was not. SB alluded to the "comedian", who was embarrassingly, cringe making bad. Such puerile and infantile "humour" may have the ordinary Potters clients filling their incontinence pants with laughter but he went down like a lead balloon with an awful lot of people commenting on just how dire he was. Luckily I missed the other quality entertainment such as the bingo session.

Swish simply did not work for me, it missed the target and under delivered on just about everything, it did not live up to the expectations and hype. I found the atmosphere lacking the buzz and friendliness of both Breeze and Blaze, the freestyles were very insular with couples sticking together and people sticking to their little groups. The workshops seemed to have massed ranks of fixed couples with only a minority mixing in with the rotation. By late Saturday afternoon I'd had enough, there was nothing that inspired me in the Sunday program, I abandoned the weekend.

Breeze I will probably go back to this year, Blaze I would go back to if it were a bit closer and I could drive it. Swish I will not bother with again. At a dance evening last night I bumped into a guy I was on the same table as at Swish, like me he had gone to Swish on his own. His comment to me last night - "you were probably right giving up when you did, it didn't get any better, I wont be going next year".

I'm going to agree with Nebula -

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    All in all, for me it was totally not worth the money paid. When you are paying for Camber, you know what you are getting. When you are paying for Potters and it is advertised as 5 star, you expect (or at least I did - oh, what naivete!) a 5 star. It just wasn't

Yes - it'd maybe be nice to structure the descriptions in the site to make the differences clear from the main Escape page - a sentence for each one would help. The not-very-clever names don't help provide identity, either, as we've said several times already.
    yes please
    As to all those people who say read the website...
    I did read most of the descriptions, but to me it wasn't clear that the level of dancing wouldn't be as good as at other weekenders.
    I also (perhaps foolishly) thought that if you dance hard, you'd be ready to skip breakfast...! Obviously not.
    I did know that the chalets were 3* (lucky SilverFox for having a mirror, maybe he could have invited someone to share...?), they weren't anywhere near 3*.
    Yes, I liked the feel of Blues room, and the lighting was great, and Marc really took care of adjusting the lights, and closing the curtains, etc. BUT it WAS tiny.
    As for 5* food - sorry again, it wasn't. It just so happens that I go on 5* cruises couple of times a year ( cue BOOOOOO), not a 24-hour stuff me silly types, but a proper 5* silver service, with sit down meals times, etc, so I know what I am talking about. In comparison Potters all-in-all is a 2* pushing at 3*.
    Keefy has put in quite a bit more explanation than I did, so here you go - it wasn't just me being picky...

Ive not been myself but will do one day as everyone i have spoken to that went said they had a fantastic time
    Also if it isnt so great how come its almost always fully booked before the end of the year before by people who were on site?

Well - interesting to hear some well written feedback.

I wasn't there - by the time I wanted to book it was too late.......so yes it is clearly popular.

However, after reading the comments - I won't be rushing to make a booking for 2009.

It seems that in the UK, what we class as 5-star would be 2 or 3-star in many other parts of the world.

Hearing some of the stories, I think - why do we continue to put up with such poor quality (food and infrastructure) for these holidays?

Of course, everything is relative - and it depends on what you are used to - however, this is the 21st Century - and fresh food is available - ration books ended many years ago. And there are some good cookery books. We do have plenty of willing carpenters, plumbers and builders who can fix things.

Maybe we need a new Fred Pontin to take things up a stage.

[QUOTE=Keefy;455173]Stuff........Such puerile and infantile "humour" may have the ordinary Potters clients filling their incontinence pants with laughter but he went down like a lead balloon with an awful lot of people commenting on just how dire he was. Luckily I missed the other quality entertainment such as the bingo session.

Good post Keefy but that was not necessary.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Also if it isnt so great how come its almost always fully booked before the end of the year before by people who were on site?
    Obviously, loads of people loved it - and as it's a small-scale weekender, and it appeals more to the masses, it's bound to get a lot of demand. I'm sure it's a great success commercially.

It'd still be nice to hear from other forumite customers though.

I'd also like to know comparisons between this, Rockbottoms, and Franco's new venture - they seem to be aimed at (very roughly) the same market, from an accomodation point of view - that is, the "smaller but perfectly-formed" market.

That all said, Keefy's description of his bungalow sounds yukky - I mean, £239 for that?

I'd also like to know comparisons between this, Rockbottoms, and Franco's new venture - they seem to be aimed at (very roughly) the same market, from an accomodation point of view - that is, the "smaller but perfectly-formed" market.
    FWIW - here was my RockBottoms (Torquay) description from the (mildly entertaining) blog - obviously you missed it first time around.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bottoms Up!

Rock Bottoms is an organisation who run 'Cheeky Little Weekenders' for dancers. Torquay last weekend was my first experience.............so here goes..................

The Good
    1. Workshop
    One workshop in particular by Simon and Susie of Jive Nation was really excellent: entitled don't freeze in a freeze (or something like that) - it was basically about 'hitting the breaks'. Very well explained and clear AND practical. I loved it! It's probably what you know anyway: all (most) MJ/Ceroc music is 4/4 - with patterns running thru in 8,16,32....... And the HIT is on the 1 or the 5......so once you know that - you can work things thru to make sure you hit the break (and do whatever you do there (we mostly did semi-dramatic basket type freezes). Simon taught this workshop in an enjoyable and engaging way - and I think most people got it (even if putting it into practice was more difficult).

2. The cabaret
    Awesome (to me) routines of great variety by the teachers. All of them were fantastic (actually for me S&S above were probably my favs). From WCS to Balboa to funky/hip-hoppy stuff with great invention and creativity it was all there. Afterwards, though a guy called Mchl (14 years Ceroc) said it was much better last year............well wow - that must have been good.

The Bad
    1. Dance floor
    Well, I just did not get this: the dance floor set up was just not conducive to asking people to dance! The floor itself was (much) smaller than I expected (eg. half the size of St. Albans) - on 2 tiers - but with no perimeter! There was no place where people could stand if they wanted to be asked to dance - apart from a vague 2m space near the DJ - and even that was essentially a walk way off the floor. This meant that there was nowhere near as much intermingling and dancing with different partners compared to an average freestyle anywhere in the country. This I just did not get! Why go to a venue like this? For me, this is such a basic requirement. The area surrounding the dance floor was tightly packed table and chairs and there was just no way this was set up for a good dance mix.

2. Hotel itself
    The feng -shui was not good! It was like a rabbit warren (fellow guest comment - and I agreed). Difficult to see/know where you were - and not enough 'public' space. Up/down/round - a messy design. Lifts out of order, No iron - except in the dodgy 'launderette' downstairs.

The Ugly
    The food at the hotel was out of this world. Literally. It came from planet Zog via a cheap 1950's B&B in Blackpool. OMG - Gordon Ramsay and Gillian McKeith would have a field day. This was stuff I would not feed to a dog who was starving. I won't describe it as I do not wish to be reminded of it. How people put up with this **** is beyond me. I knew it was going to be well dodgy after asking for herbal tea on the first morning and getting a bemused look as if I had requested fresh squid ink fused with the blood of fresh wild boar.

The Ok
    The dancing was fine - in that when you did get an opportunity to ask someone it worked out - and the music (JB on the decks) was ok - except when they repeated tracks when JB went for a break.......how many times do I really want to hear Barry Manilow's Copacabana? One memorable dance with a Fiona-Fun/Marie type dancer: was she one of the Rock Bottoms posse? Had a good chat with Adr from St. Albans (demonstrator) - and good to meet Mchl and Ily. However, not much more than an average freestyle night in most places....

Well, I guess I won't be going back to the Derwent Hotel in Torquay in a hurry.........

Posted by Jive Lad at 7:42 PM

I like to ponder on my weekenders and not simply write whilst I am still on a high.

These are my thoughts on Swish.
    I loved Swish last year and I loved it this year.

The venue:
    Food. I think it is fabulous with a choice of three starters and I think five main course served choices and about two from the serve yourself area I couldn't go wrong.
    My favourite meals were the steamed sea bass and the mint chocolate dessert which were superb.
    I had the bungalow which are basic and very clean and mould free. For me it was fine. It was cold walking to the chalet and I wished I had booked in time to get a hotel room.

I agree with the points made on friends making the weekend. This weekender was always going to have less of my friends and dancers that I know there and in fact only a couple of my regular crowd booked.
    Kari and Aleksander were great though and I got to know them much better over dinner and bottles of wine. You won't read this but thanks guys.

I also agree on the points made about being able to dance with the teachers. I still get very self concious when dancing with teachers and it was Swish last year and this that I got to dance with them more helping to aleviate that fear.
    Two of my favourite teachers were here being Marc Forster and Karen from Ceroc Nights.
    These are my favourites for their inspiration to me on tag/dance partner swapping and group dancing in the form of Fourplay/Awesome foursome.
    Along with double trouble, tag and fourplay defined my year. These ideas grew as the year went on into mass swap and steal sessions together with what I now knowing as the Crazy circle. The crazy circle is usually how we start each record doing some awesome foursome moves and then breaking out into a swap and steal session with our dance area roughly defined by the circle.
    I know most things have already been done and I would be interested in knowing and meeting any others who do this. Maybe for some ideas on moves that work etc.

Highlights for me included the one Crazy circle and swap and steal session. I was surprised when Mike Ellard agreed to join in. I must admit to nerves when calling our playful moves out. I guess impressions I build up are not always correct and need testing from time to time.

My other highlights were meeting Karen ( Ceroc nights ) and explaining about how she inspired the Crazy Circle with the awesome foursome last year and enjoying her reaction. I was very glad that she had noticed us playing in the main room. I did enjoy my dances too.
    Finally getting to partner swap with Mark Forster after he passed a very surprised Debbie Atwood to me in a move I would love to replicate some time.

Ruby was another star of the weekend. So enthusiastic and friendly.

Downers:
    I missed a lot of my friends and favourite dancers.
    Missed the fourplay class.
    Gooseberry crumble confused me until I realised it was rhubarb. Even then I wasn't impressed.
    Due to a complete lack of preparation failed to meet Nebula and her friends ;o)Invitation stands for Storm etc.

Realising I still need a boost in confidence. In certain situations I get nervous and then I can't hear the music and then I can't remember any moves and then I dance badly. It's real stupid.

Steve

My first post in a while. Please accept my apologies in advance for ignoring any negative comments on my post.

Thanks Spiky Steve, good to hear from another regular punter who was at the event.

It does seem to me that the main problems with those who weren't happy wasn't the event itself as such, but that it didn't live up to expectations.

Calling something 5* raises a very high standard to be met. It sounds to me that this is more along the lines of 'not as basic as your average Pontins and food is included so it costs a bit more'. Which is OK if you know that is what you are getting.

It clearly appeals to a lot of people, and many dancers want some nice workshops, a chance to meet some new people, and are happy with it not being full of lots of advanced dancers as then they won't feel as intimidated and might have more of a chance to dance with the teachers etc.

However, regular weekender goers usually want daytime dancing, late night/all night dancing, a good blues room etc. These things have now become part of what people expect from a MJ dance weekender so its not unreasonable to expect them unless otherwise informed before booking.

Whilst I imagine that Vince / Rocky / Sara might say "social life is what you make it", that's why I said it'd be nice to have feedback from some actual punters, rather than from The Gods Who Walk Amongst Us.
    Whilst I accept that the teaching and DJing staff are part of the crew you have to remember that none of us were part of the organisational crew for the event - so it actually doesn't make any difference to us whether or not people come back to the event or not. I therefore think mine and SF's feedback is as valid as anyone elses.

You have to remember that we are both late night dance junkies and advanced dancers too, and so will also be viewing the event based on what we would expect - and it did met our expectations.

To be fair, that's partly because we has been before so knew the form - but we still had a great time too the first time around. It simply isn't the same as many of the other w/enders and all that means is that you adapt the way you approach it.

The level of dancing in the main room is generally very good and I know SF and I had some great dances in the main room - but most of those dancers don't seem to be hardened Blues dancers so don't make it into the Blues room later on. That said, what you will find is pretty much all of the teaching staff in the Blues room along with many of the Potters entertainment staff, there until the early hours - so it's a great opportunity to grab us all for a dance when on a normal w/ender we might be less accessible.

As regards the entertainment I can categorically tell you that the comedian was told NOT to do his regular act on the Friday night, but did it anyway. All of the organisational staff were terribly embarassed by this which is why the comedian didn't get airtime on the next two nights. But again, the entertainment is not compulsory, so why not take the opportunity for a kip or a drink with your mates instead?

I think the problem with this thread has been comments like this from people who didn't attend..

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    But I do know if I'd posted a review like the one that started this thread, and got the responses there have been on here, I probably would be rather put off going to another Ceroc weekender cos not only would I feel I'd had a bad weekender experience, I'd also feel my opinion was considered to be irrelevant.
    It's just wrong on so many levels. What's the point in adding in negative comments when you weren't even there?

You'll note that as of late I have not commented on any Southport w/enders, and this is despite the fact I hear a lot of negative feedback from people who are not part of the 'luvy' Southport group. And that's because I consider it to be unfair to add negative comments, whatever there intention or content, on a thread regarding an event I haven't attended. You also have to admit Lynn that although your last post is balanced, you have been a little sarcastic throughout this thread...

As has already been pointed out, this is NOT a feedback thread for Ceroc HQ, so no comments addressed in a public way will be taken heed of. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... If you truly have a problem with an event, approach the organizers direct: you will get a much more sympathetic hearing that way and you're more likely to see some action taken.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the w/e Nebula (although we had a lovely dance) and I know you were kinda pushed into giving the review - but please take your concerns up with Karen and Co. direct so that they can act on your comments for next year. Certainly from what has been said I can appreciate that maybe more information about the type of w/e should be given at the outset as it does appear that there are some assumptions being made that maybe need addressing.

And the same for you Keefy: your experience sounds dreadful and is clearly different from the majority of people attending. Karen and Co. can't review every single bungalow and if yours was as bad as you say, you should have simply talked to them about it so they could have tried to do something for you whilst you were at the event (you haven't mentioned that you brought it to their attention in your review, so I am making an assumption here..)

In summary: Swish is a great event, that is more relaxed and more social than most other w/enders. The standard of accomodation and food is a notch up on every other w/ender out there and although it is more expensive, the full board nature of the event, IMO, more than makes up for that. Having said all that, I guess it is not the place to come by yourself unless you know a lot of the other people attending - and it is not the place to go if you want to dance until dawn.

However, if you come with a group of friends and are prepared to adapt how you spend your time on a w/ender you will have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    It's just wrong on so many levels. What's the point in adding in negative comments when you weren't even there?
    I wasn't commenting on the event.

I was commenting on the response the poster got when they posted about the event.

That is not wrong, that is what a discussion thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    You also have to admit Lynn that although your last post is balanced, you have been a little sarcastic throughout this thread...
    Hmm. If you never used sarcasm yourself that observation might have a little more weight.

Already said it was light hearted pointing out that things might be different for a regular punter and one of the 'crew'. To be honest though, I don't really care if you see it as sarcastic or not.
    Last edited by Lynn; 22nd-February-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Obviously, loads of people loved it - and as it's a small-scale weekender, and it appeals more to the masses, it's bound to get a lot of demand. I'm sure it's a great success commercially.

It'd still be nice to hear from other forumite customers though.

That all said, Keefy's description of his bungalow sounds yukky - I mean, £239 for that?
    Yep Keefy's experience certainly sounds awful and having met him recently he doesnt seem like the type of guy who would complain for nothing
    Having said that i know of quite a few others at least one person that you would know david that had an amazing time so much so that they have been for the last couple of yrs to my knowledge and have certainly booked again

I wasn't commenting on the event.

I was commenting on the response the poster got when they posted about the event.

That is not wrong, that is what a discussion thread is about.
    What is wrong is to suggest that Ceroc have considered the opinion to be irrelevant - and to suggest that you would be put off on going on another Ceroc w/ender because of the responses to the initial thread. Look, here's your post - it just stirring for the sake of it. The Forum is NOT the place to go to get an official response from Ceroc HQ, or from the Swish event organizers, so what is posted here is totally irrelevant from an official standpoint. Have you got that now? Or do I have to repeat it another 12 times...

But I do know if I'd posted a review like the one that started this thread, and got the responses there have been on here, I probably would be rather put off going to another Ceroc weekender cos not only would I feel I'd had a bad weekender experience, I'd also feel my opinion was considered to be irrelevant..

Can you see it now?

Hmm. If you never used sarcasm yourself that observation might have a little more weight.

To be honest though, I don't really care if you see it as sarcastic or not.
    Yes, I do use sarcasm on occasion and you are normally the first to neg rep me for doing so - so how hypocritical is that...

And yes, you do care what I think, and what other people think of you, otherwise you wouldn't have (tried) to defend yourself for stirring up things in the first place..

Thread Information