Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ‘Elite’ (Hotshot?) Workshops

Re: ‘Elite’ (Hotshot?) Workshops

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Define 'slightly advanced'? I don't know what defines advanced from intermediate anyway, aside from a sudden ability to look down on everyone else
    I think you're thinking of hotshots, not advanced dancers.... You don't need to have a bad attitude just because you're an advanced dancer!

I guess intermediate dancers would be people who are able to cope with the intermediate ceroc classes, and who would be perfect candidates for Franck's 'Focus' workshops (or workshops of similar levels), which focus on important aspects such as lead and follow technique, connection etc. Advanced dancers will be one level above - the one's who no longer benefit from going to these workshops, who have good dance technique and styling, but still want to push their dancing further.

I dunno if any of that made sense. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes an advanced dancer different from an intermediate. It's not about knowing lots of flashy moves, it's got just as much to do with technique, being able to 'feel' the dance, musicality, connection etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Define 'slightly advanced'? I don't know what defines advanced from intermediate anyway, aside from a sudden ability to look down on everyone else
    Fantastic you've cheered me up no end

There are very few workshops out there that you can learn nothing from. Depending on your level there may be some workshops you may learn a lot from. Sometimes the problem is realising which ones those are.

I'd quite like to attend an advanced workshop in "everything I'm bad at". Unfortunately, I think it's just going to be me that signs up for that one!

I like the idea of getting groups of *good* dancers together to get them to review, critique, coach and practise with each other – and maybe have a teacher or two about to help facilitate.

I'm just not sure whether it's a practical proposition. The teachers can only spread themselves so thinly. The review/critique process is going to take too long. And you may not find someone who's interested in being practised on, for what you need to practice. Plus, you may find that instead of learning, you spend most of your time coaching others – who would pay for that opportunity?

Therefore, I believe that private lessons for people who want targeted teaching is the best way to go.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    It's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes an advanced dancer different from an intermediate. It's not about knowing lots of flashy moves, it's got just as much to do with technique, being able to 'feel' the dance, musicality, connection etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I'm just not sure whether it's a practical proposition. The teachers can only spread themselves so thinly. The review/critique process is going to take too long. And you may not find someone who's interested in being practised on, for what you need to practice. Plus, you may find that instead of learning, you spend most of your time coaching others – who would pay for that opportunity?

Therefore, I believe that private lessons for people who want targeted teaching is the best way to go.
    Fair challenge, but in the time this thread has been going I've been able to put a few things in motion and checks things out. I know a few people I can drag in to help me facilitate, and if the workshop takes place as part of a bigger day of activities we should be able to keep costs down. I'm not making promises but it could be that we make the course free .... we've already decided to put on an 'Intro to drops' course for free as a 'service ot the community'. that was y no-one has any excuses about doing drops badly!

I'm not sure why people are worrying about whether they are 'good enough''. Aren't there already enough workshops for intermediate dancers?

If you aren't going to go down the private lesson route, how about you run the workshop twice on the same day, but with the 'top half' dancers in one class and 'second half' dancers in the other? You could run another workshop at the same time (twice) so that dancers would have a whole day/half day of workshops swapping workshops halfway through, and everyone would be happy. The same techniques could be taught, although in the class that is further ahead, it may get slightly further than the other class - or perhaps deeper into technique (in any event, there would be less disparity between dancers in each class). Assessment is at the start of the day/afternoon for an hour or so.

Thread Information