View Poll Results: LOL, two polls!

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • (POLL 1) Seen tags before and it's a good idea

4 26.67%
  • (POLL 1) Seen tags before but I think it's pointless/silly

2 13.33%
  • (POLL 1) Seen tags before and I wonder if people are honest about who they say they are

0 0%
  • (POLL 1) Not seen before but it sounds like a good idea

2 13.33%
  • (POLL 1) Not seen before and it seems a little pointless/silly

5 33.33%
  • (POLL 2) I would put my real name

5 33.33%
  • (POLL 2) I might put my real name or I might not dependant on the night

4 26.67%
  • (POLL 2) I would cross gender with my name

0 0%
  • (POLL 2) I would make up a silly name/tag eg lonely & deperated

1 6.67%
  • (POLL 2) I wouldn't wear one

4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name Tags/Labels.

Re: Name Tags/Labels.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    No, I'm useless at remembering names. I'd match my forgetfulness against anybody.

For example, there's a couple of sisters who dance locally, I've known them for about 8 years now, I know both their names, and I still can't remember which one's which

But that doesn't mean I should try to implement some artificial crutch - it means I should work at it more.
    So when you meet one, you don't know her name. Or at least you have a 50/50 chance. I could always guess people names. Though I don't. Are they identical or something?

But that doesn't mean I should try to implement some artificial crutch - it means I should work at it more.
    Life is full of crutches, whether she's a life long partner, or always hanging your keys in the same place or mnemonics. Use them to enhance your life.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    So when you meet one, you don't know her name. Or at least you have a 50/50 chance. I could always guess people names. Though I don't. Are they identical or something?
    No, I don't even have that excuse

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    Life is full of crutches, whether she's a life long partner, or always hanging your keys in the same place or mnemonics. Use them to enhance your life.
    Yes, but there's a judgement call. Some crutches are - usually - useful. For example, I don't generally remember telephone numbers now, they're all in the phone's memory. But even then, it's occasionally useful to remember numbers.

Knowing and using and working to remember someone's name is a sign of politeness. Using name tags, to me, says "I don't need to remember your identity, so I won't bother".

For some of us, therein lies the problem.
    You are probably lucky enough not to suffer the affliction of name forgetting. And if you don't then you cannot appreciate the embarrassment of having to ask again and again.
    Nope. I'm terrible at remembering names; but I just don't find the need to add their name to conversation. I'm happy with "Hi, how's it going?" rather than feeling the need to say "Hi <insert name here>, how's it going?".

In the acting world, I'm told, there is a similar problem of meeting lots of people, getting friendly with them, then having difficulty remembering their names a while later...

And this why actors call everyone "darling".
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Cool Re: Name Tags/Labels.

I change my shirt lots through an evening so I doubt that a 'shag tag' would work for me. It is also very much the 'thing' at meat market singles pick up joints, where the constant THUMP THUMP THUMP of the music makes any conversation almost impossible.

I have never been in a situation where I thought... I wish s/he was wearing a name tag so I knew what they were called. Although I have sometimes said "Hi I'm Nathan, what's your name?". As such, it seems like a perfect solution to a non-existent problem.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    "Hi I'm Nathan, what's your name?"
    I have never tried that but I can see confusion if they ever discover I'm actually dep.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Although I have sometimes said "Hi I'm Nathan, what's your name.
    Hrrrumphh........I don't remember getting that little luxury from you Stokie, I just got dragged onto the dancefloor, lol.

I personally wouldn't like to see name tags myself.......it would be all too much if you finally managed to commandeer a dance with someone you'd had your eye on all night, only to find out that his name was Hugh Jass (or worse)

......ok, ok I know surnames wouldn't be there....but then it wouldn't be s'funny

No, I'm useless at remembering names. I'd match my forgetfulness against anybody.

For example, there's a couple of sisters who dance locally, I've known them for about 8 years now, I know both their names, and I still can't remember which one's which
    There's a challenge. Several people I dance with locally now refuse to tell me what their name is, as I have forgotten so many times.

On-topic, I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Hrrrumphh........I don't remember getting that little luxury from you Stokie, I just got dragged onto the dancefloor, lol.
    That's pretty good for me. Usually girls say "I don't remember getting that little luxury from you Stokie, I just got dragged around the dance floor"

I have never tried that but I can see confusion if they ever discover I'm actually dep.
    You should keep it in mind. If ever I have a truly appalling dance with some one I say at the end "By the way, my name's David James, be sure to catch me for another one later - I tango too you know". Works a treat

Thread Information