View Poll Results: LOL, two polls!

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • (POLL 1) Seen tags before and it's a good idea

4 26.67%
  • (POLL 1) Seen tags before but I think it's pointless/silly

2 13.33%
  • (POLL 1) Seen tags before and I wonder if people are honest about who they say they are

0 0%
  • (POLL 1) Not seen before but it sounds like a good idea

2 13.33%
  • (POLL 1) Not seen before and it seems a little pointless/silly

5 33.33%
  • (POLL 2) I would put my real name

5 33.33%
  • (POLL 2) I might put my real name or I might not dependant on the night

4 26.67%
  • (POLL 2) I would cross gender with my name

0 0%
  • (POLL 2) I would make up a silly name/tag eg lonely & deperated

1 6.67%
  • (POLL 2) I wouldn't wear one

4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name Tags/Labels.

Name Tags/Labels.

I only know one venue that actually does this ie Stockport Town Hall via sticky labels. To me it's a good idea as it can be annoying, especially when you've known someone for ages yet can't remember your name.

So is this a one off at this venue or do other venues do it? And would you put your real name?

(decided on two polls!)

Re: Name Tags/Labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    To me it's a good idea as it can be annoying, especially when you've known someone for ages yet can't remember your name.
    It's a crap idea. If you want someone to know your name you will tell them

With regard to forgetting names, I only forget names of people who bore me, so no need to remember them anyway.

Does that answer your question, Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It's a crap idea. If you want someone to know your name you will tell them

With regard to forgetting names, I only forget names of people who bore me, so no need to remember them anyway.

Does that answer your question, Brian?
    It does Bob.

Glitter Queen

I hate name tags (one of my pet hates). I figure if someone wants to know my name they should ask me, and likewise if I want to know theirs.
    What's even more irritating is if you've been forced to wear a name tag for whatever reason and then the person you're talking to, upon finishing their sentence, stares at your chest to read you name and then says "isn't that right...... *insert name*?".

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I hate name tags (one of my pet hates). I figure if someone wants to know my name they should ask me, and likewise if I want to know theirs.
    What's even more irritating is if you've been forced to wear a name tag for whatever reason and then the person you're talking to, upon finishing their sentence, stares at your chest to read you name and then says "isn't that right...... *insert name*?".
    Some men need a valid excuss to do that...

(Not me! )

I hate name tags ..............then the person you're talking to..............stares at your chest to read your name
    the name tag is just the excuse.
    The staring was something else.

Same with all those nice necklaces/pendants, transfer messages, embroidery etc. that we are expected to admire, even pass comment/compliments on and risk being told "my eyes are up here"

Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    the name tag is just the excuse.
    The staring was something else.

Same with all those nice necklaces/pendants, transfer messages, embroidery etc. that we are expected to admire, even pass comment/compliments on and risk being told "my eyes are up here"
    Are you speaking from experiance? It wouldn't do your SF any good.

Yet it's always to tempting to read a message/wording on a top as they can often be a funny tag line. It' just carries a risk...

I agree. It seems a bit pants. I don't really need to know someone's name to dance with them so why does it really matter?

Forum gathering name t-shirts can be cool to place a face to the name of someone you've been chatting to online but that's more about connecting the history of someone you know on a forum to a given person in real life rather than putting a name to something. If that makes any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    If that makes any sense?
    Nope

I don't have an adversion to wearing name tags per se, although I'd rather not wear one at a night out dancing, especially if I'm wearing a nice shirt.

It is annoying when you forget someone's name who you really should know, but it's gone past the stage at which you can ask again. Worst is when they constantly call you by yours.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    It is annoying when you forget someone's name who you really should know, but it's gone past the stage at which you can ask again. Worst is when they constantly call you by yours.

Dan
    worse than annoying, it's so embarrassing that I dare not ask again (and again).

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    Forum gathering name t-shirts can be cool to place a face to the name of someone you've been chatting to online but that's more about connecting the history of someone you know on a forum to a given person in real life rather than putting a name to something. If that makes any sense?
    I can't help thinking that these two comments have a sort of link between the two. Yet the opinions differ. Oh well.

I agree. It seems a bit pants. I don't really need to know someone's name to dance with them so why does it really matter?

I like forum t-shirts... who needs real names

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Are you speaking from experiance? It wouldn't do your SF any good.
    I told you, my decision. The only way you can add to my current SF0 score is if you dance with me and tell me face to face that I deserve an extra SF point. There is another way but I'm not telling you

it's always to tempting to read a message/wording on a top as they can often be a funny tag line. It' just carries a risk...
    maybe "they" dress like that just to trap us and secretly enjoy ticking us off!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They're both silly.

If you want to know who someone is, you ask them their name, and you give them yours in return. If you want to know the identity of a forumite, similarly you contact them.

Even I've managed to master that level of social interaction.

Commercial Operator

Depends on the context, but I've been in workshops where nametags are used, and I like it. It doesn't help that I'm appallingly bad with names / faces, but if I'm in a workshop with 40-odd unfamiliar or vaguely familiar faces, there is just no way I'm going to be able to learn many names without nametags or something similar.

In freestyles... I'm less keen on the idea. Although I can't think of any sensible reasons why that is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Depends on the context, but I've been in workshops where nametags are used, and I like it.
    That's different - I assumed the OP was referring to social dancing, rather than a learning environment?

In a learning environment, it's fine - you may be talking with lots of different people, and it's very difficult for the teacher to learn dozens of new names in a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    In freestyles... I'm less keen on the idea. Although I can't think of any sensible reasons why that is.
    "Coz it's silly"?

Or, more eloquently, because it's a dumbing-down step which removes the onus on us to actually ask and remember names of people we're interested in interacting with. Which in turn is part of a general degradation of social skills in society.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    the onus on us to............. remember names of people we're interested in interacting with.
    For some of us, therein lies the problem.
    You are probably lucky enough not to suffer the affliction of name forgetting. And if you don't then you cannot appreciate the embarrassment of having to ask again and again.

For some of us, therein lies the problem.
    You are probably lucky enough not to suffer the affliction of name forgetting. And if you don't then you cannot appreciate the embarrassment of having to ask again and again.
    Made worse when you travel and meet far too many people.

Blog Entries

You are probably lucky enough not to suffer the affliction of name forgetting.
    No, I'm useless at remembering names. I'd match my forgetfulness against anybody.

For example, there's a couple of sisters who dance locally, I've known them for about 8 years now, I know both their names, and I still can't remember which one's which

But that doesn't mean I should try to implement some artificial crutch - it means I should work at it more.

Thread Information