Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sexual assault in mixed hospital wards

Re: Sexual assault in mixed hospital wards

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Hmm. So no 'reasoned debate'
    I was being sarcastic Barry, because you know damn well I have no idea about 'law' and 'clauses'.

Patients' charities have argued for years that mixed-sex wards are undignified, degrading and put women at risk of attack from male patients. As far as I'm concerned, that's reason enough to get rid of them.

Well, tell us what you have learned and what factors led you to that belief. We might agree with you.
    I've added 2 links already. I can add some more if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is here Stewart

As this is something that has interested me today, I have started a thread about it and looked at loads of literature today about it, because it's something I knew nothing about before and I have read lots of stories that lead me to believe mixed sex wards are not acceptable.

You may find them disgusting some find age/mental mix far more distressing. Im talking about myself and my personal expereinces

BBC NEWS | Health | Row over mixed-sex hospital wards

I am 25 and was admitted to hospital for two weeks in August. I had a private room, within a mixed ward and I have to say being in a mixed ward did lead to an increase in the loss of dignity, which one always feels in hospital. However, the mix of ages and illness in my ward was a larger problem. The elderly gentleman in the room next door, kept coming in to my room and at one point actually stole my hairbrush!
    Karen, Oxford, UK

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DT's 300 assaults is not necessarily a helpful statistic.
    Any isolated statistic is pretty much worthless.

300 assaults? Fair enough, that's not nice - but is there any evidence that mixed-sex wards increases this number? How does this compare with historical trends - up or down?

Patients' charities have argued for years that mixed-sex wards are undignified, degrading and put women at risk of attack from male patients. As far as I'm concerned, that's reason enough to get rid of them.
    To be clear, is it mixed-sex wards, or mixed-sex bays within wards, that you don't like?

I think most people (the government included) would agree that the latter is a bad thing, but the government think that the former is OK.

Cool Re: Sexual assault in mixed hospital wards

It seems to me that the cart is being put before the horse here.

There are already laws in place to cover sexual assault - regardless of where they happen. It is upsetting I am sure if a member of your family is assaulted full stop (be that in a hospital ward or anywhere else). This is more about the duty of care to the more vulnerable members of society. If a person is vulnerable, due to dementia for example, then clearly this *is* something that can be listed in the patient's medical notes without causing a breech of confidentiality.

Bus stops are mixed sex. There are a lot of assaults (sexual and physical) that take place at bus stops, shall we make them segregated too? You cannot track the movements of all previous sex offenders (let alone the ones who are yet to be caught). But you can do more to provide a safer environment for the more vulnerable members of society.

To anyone who thinks that single sex wards will cure assault, may I draw your attention to Beverley Allitt and Dr Harold Shipman, both of whom preyed solely on the vulnerable.

I was being sarcastic Barry, because you know damn well I have no idea about 'law' and 'clauses'.
    Oh, well there's the problem!

I wasn't using 'clause' in any special legal sense, merely repeating the word 'cos you used it!! Unjustified sarcasm!

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post

There are already laws in place to cover sexual assault - regardless of where they happen. It is upsetting I am sure if a member of your family is assaulted full stop (be that in a hospital ward or anywhere else). This is more about the duty of care to the more vulnerable members of society. If a person is vulnerable, due to dementia for example, then clearly this *is* something that can be listed in the patient's medical notes without causing a breech of confidentiality.

Bus stops are mixed sex. There are a lot of assaults (sexual and physical) that take place at bus stops, shall we make them segregated too? You cannot track the movements of all previous sex offenders (let alone the ones who are yet to be caught). But you can do more to provide a safer environment for the more vulnerable members of society.

I'm not sure I'm in agreement with the assertion that mixed-sex wards are in themselves an insult to patient dignity.

Doesn't it rather depend on the person? Some people, men and women, will find their dignity insulted by far less and for others it would take far more.

Mixed sex wards are a huge problem!! Having worked on a few my main concerns are that many illnesses can make confused/ sexually disinhibited/ sexually promisuous. As a result i have seen countless situations where men and women have walked around naked in a mixed environment, make innapropriate sexual comments to the opposite sex, made sexual advances and accusations of rape. We also had problems of patients forming relationships - its really not appropriate to be shagging in public areas of hospitals!

Its generally accepted within many areas of health that they are a bad idea, the problem is that they still are around that it would cost a lot to change them. I would like to see them go but im not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Mixed sex wards are a huge problem!! Having worked on a few my main concerns are that many illnesses can make confused/ sexually disinhibited/ sexually promisuous. As a result i have seen countless situations where men and women have walked around naked in a mixed environment, make innapropriate sexual comments to the opposite sex, made sexual advances and accusations of rape. We also had problems of patients forming relationships - its really not appropriate to be shagging in public areas of hospitals!
    would you stop weekenders being mixed ??

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Mixed weekenders are a huge problem!! Having been to a few a few my main concerns are that there are many confused/ sexually disinhibited/ sexually promisuous people at them.

As a result i have seen countless situations where men and women have walked around half dressed, made innapropriate sexual comments to the opposite sex, made sexual advances We also had problems of people forming relationships - its really not appropriate to be shagging in public areas of of dance halls !

Apparently there have been around 300 separate incidents of sexual assault in mixed wards in the last 3 years.
    Still statistically safer than visiting the parents then?

Cool Re: Sexual assault in mixed hospital wards

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Still statistically safer than visiting the parents then?
    That Sir is the sickest thing I have read all day! Have some rep!

Last time I was in hospital, for a plastic replacement of a section of aneurised abdominal aorta, the ward was female one end and male the other end. But the middle area was subject to some mixing depending upon patient numbers.

At one point I ended up in the next bed to a rather ga-ga old lady. She must have been, since one night I was awakened by her getting into my bed. Nurse !!! Nurse !!!

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post

To anyone who thinks that single sex wards will cure assault, may I draw your attention to Beverley Allitt and Dr Harold Shipman, both of whom preyed solely on the vulnerable.
    Single-sex wouldn't stop those who prey on their own gender...
    I have to say that I would rather be in single-sex wards than uni-sex ones as a matter of preference. I don't know if there are many uni-sex wards in Australia - maybe some of the Aussies could advise... I've also only ever been in privately run hospitals where single-sex wards prevail.
    Last edited by ~*~Saligal~*~; 19th-February-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Last time I was in hospital, for a plastic replacement of a section of aneurised abdominal aorta, the ward was female one end and male the other end. But the middle area was subject to some mixing depending upon patient numbers.

At one point I ended up in the next bed to a rather ga-ga old lady. She must have been, since one night I was awakened by her getting into my bed. Nurse !!! Nurse !!!
    Some people just can't accept a compliment.

Doesn't it rather depend on the person? Some people, men and women, will find their dignity insulted by far less and for others it would take far more.
    Yes it does, and I made a similar comment here

Older folk who would be mortified at being seen in their pyjamas, having to share bathroom facilities, etc with members of the opposite sex.
    Which leads me to believe...

It's so degrading and shows no respect for the dignity of patients and what THEY think is acceptable.
    Not...

I'm not sure I'm in agreement with the assertion that mixed-sex wards are in themselves an insult to patient dignity.
    On the one hand you say it depends on the person, on the other your not sure if mixed wards are an insult to patient dignity. That doesn't really match up does it?

On the one hand you say it depends on the person, on the other your not sure if mixed wards are an insult to patient dignity. That doesn't really match up does it?
    You have to read carefully - 'cos I write carefully. I said that in themselves I'm not sure they are an insult. What that was supposed to mean is that it seems possible to me that properly managed mixed sex wards without mixed sex bays might be perfectly OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    This sounds like the lady I asked to be pushed to a place outside of 'my ward'

sorry

Thread Information