Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: LEROC Trademark

Blog Entries

Re: LEROC Trademark

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Billy, how on earth did you manage to get this trademark? I could understand if you'd got Leroc Scotland trademarked but how did you get Leroc on it's own as:

and you aren't exactly the only company in the UK that is using the term Leroc
    As DJ points out...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Looking at the UKIPO, the "LEROC" image is registered in several variants (for example, here),.

But it's not clear whether use of the word itself - with any capitalisation - is trademarked.
    So, Billy - actually, what you meant to say is that you've trademarked some graphics? And a phrase "LEROC PURE DANCE ADDICTION" that, how should we put it, "borrows heavily" from a certain other organisation? The same organisation that uses a similar font to those graphics mentioned above.

I have no idea what you're trying to achieve here. Care to explain a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Billy, if you want a really wide public debate you might want to consider raising the matter via the Wikipedia editing/discussion forums, as the present entry is quite specific that "today, many unrelated Modern Jive organisations are free to use the term "LeRoc" in their names, as it remains a generic term.".

See LeRoc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cracking little article, that. Must've taken the odd spare minute or two over many years to come up with such wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    (Hold) Alt

And you get ™
    Really?

I'm sorry. I've been trying hard not to laugh throughout this ridiculous thread. Andy - if you feel the need to pay anyone for the use of the word "LeRoc" you can pay me. I've got as much right to charge you as Billy does. I'll even start putting in ™s in my posts again, if it makes you happy.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Well Apple and Intel seem to keep they're legal departments quite busy by going after companies that use the words "pod" and "intel", respectively, as even part of other words.
    I'm sure that all arthropods are shaking in their many boots - although military intelligence are a bit worried
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 15th-February-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Miss spelt intelligence :wink:

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Andy - if you feel the need to pay anyone for the use of the word "LeRoc" you can pay me. I've got as much right to charge you as Billy does.
    I'm not sure you both trade in the same currency.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I'm not sure you both trade in the same currency.
    What's the exchange rate for Pounds Stirling to Pounds Sterling?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cracking little article, that. Must've taken the odd spare minute or two over many years to come up with such wisdom.
    I especially like this comment:
    17:51, 12 January 2008 (hist) (diff) LeRoc‎ (Removed references to Leroc Ltd, as this is just one LeRoc class trying to promote itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I especially like this comment:
    Shhhhhhhhh . No one takes any notice of the metadata.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shhhhhhhhh . No one takes any notice of the metadata.
    Well I wouldn't normally, but I'm implementing a Mediawiki system at work. So this is like Real Work I'm doing...

Commercial Operator

What's the exchange rate for Pounds Stirling to Pounds Sterling?
    And there was me thinking (and hoping) that I could pay you in kisses

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cullen View Post
    "LEROC" Trademark
    To put it in quotes like that suggests its the name you are talking about, when it clearly isn't. Isn't that almost like lying ?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Leroc written all over a venue normally puts me off as, in my experiance, they are normally iffy. Not saying this is the case everywhere, but certainly at the leroc places I have been to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Leroc written all over a venue normally puts me off as, in my experiance, they are normally iffy. Not saying this is the case everywhere, but certainly at the leroc places I have been to.
    I can just see the next Trademark:

"Leroc - normally iffy dance addiction"

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cullen View Post
    "LEROC" Trademark
    ... that a recent application for trademark has been accepted ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    right I think I'm starting to understand - does it mean that Leroc is now a brand that is owned by Billy ? ...
    I think Billy is announcing it in a way that is ambiguous. To me it seems he's trying to imply that he has exclusive use to the word "Leroc"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    To put it in quotes like that suggests its the name you are talking about, when it clearly isn't. Isn't that almost like lying ?
    Is "Application accepted " the same as "Registration granted?.

Some of the of the logos are Black on White. I wonder if those are granted, they would give cause for action against almost any normal rendition of the name in print as "passing off".

I also wonder if Billy has disclosed what he knows about LeRoc to the trademark office.

I'm sure that all arthropods are shaking in their many boots - although military intelligence are a bit worried
    No.

This is why they have the classes of use.

If you are so inclined, you could start a LEROC sex shop chain, and there is nothing that any current Leroc trade mark holders can do about it as you are not passing of as any of them. If you want to push your luck you could even use their Stylised Logo - as long as you are not infringing into the registered classes of use, inc. DVDs etc

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Is "Application accepted " the same as "Registration granted?.

Some of the of the logos are Black on White. I wonder if those are granted, they would give cause for action against almost any normal rendition of the name in print as "passing off".

I also wonder if Billy has disclosed what he knows about LeRoc to the trademark office.
    Very good points Caro.

All applications have to be published in the Trades Marks Gazette.
    Billy is being very open and honest about the whole thing. People who believe that his applications infringe on their current rights should contact a lawyer and if necessary lodge an objection, provided it is within the prescribed time limit.
    Billy only has to make a case for his application, and show evidence of use of his proposed marks, he does not have to represent anyone else, or say what others may be doing.
    If some logos in Black and White are in fact Registered, he has a strong case, the fewer styling, the better. It makes it easier to catch infringements. The best Trade Marks are just Capitalised or Non capitalised words, but these are granted only in extreme cases.
    Owners of valuable marks also employ monitoring service to ensure that anything remotely ressembling their mark is objected to on the grounds that it would infringe on their registered rights.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Ive decided to change my name to Lee Roc

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Ive decided to change my name to Lee Roc

Lee will not be dancing with you then

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I can just see the next Trademark:

"Leroc - normally iffy dance addiction"
    I'm gong to have to change my .sig again.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    Very good points Caro.

All applications have to be published in the Trades Marks Gazette.
    Billy is being very open and honest about the whole thing. People who believe that his applications infringe on their current rights should contact a lawyer and if necessary lodge an objection, provided it is within the prescribed time limit.
    But what you're missing is that Billy is saying that he has trademarked a generic term. It's like someone saying that they've trademarked "SALSA" or "TANGO".

The history of Leroc (LeRoc, LEROC, leROC, Le Roc , etc....) is interesting. There've been many threads on the subject in this forum. When the Ceroc & Le Roc clubs split - James Cronin took the well documented trademarked & franchised Ceroc business route. However, it seems that the Le Roc people chose a different path. No one trademarked the name, which meant that it became a generic term that anyone could use. Many different and totally unconnected clubs and classes were created over the years. The LeRoc French Jive Federation was also created, which provides (amongst other benefits) a teaching qualification and syllabus - which gives clubs the benefit of belonging to a recognised organisation if they want to join. However it's completely voluntary for a club to join. Think of it as a bit like a trade association, or a union, if you like.

So, it's more than just infringing on other businesses' rights to use the word. It's the general use of the word. Imagine someone like Caro or PaulF trademarking "WEST COAST SWING"? It's as ridiculous as that!

It's still not clear whether Billy's initial statement is true. Has he trademarked the word? It would appear from the application that it's he's trademarked a set of logos - but that's not what he's saying on his website.

So - we still await Billy's clarification......

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    . People who believe that his applications infringe on their current rights should contact a lawyer and if necessary lodge an objection, provided it is within the prescribed time limit.
    I don’t think there is a time limit

Invalidation

but it costs £200 to start invalidation proceedings

plus of course your legal fees and these guys can change £400 an hour

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post

Invalidation

I wonder if you can claim costs if the objection is upheld...?

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post

Invalidation

It seems there is a general principle at stake here, the protection of generic terms. I have emailed the Trademark office asking if they do Internet searches on words applied for and if they contact people using them in business, and, if not, why not.

If it transpires that every businessman in the U.K. is expected to invest time in reading every issue of the trademarks journal to protect their business tools it may well escalate to letters to the Ombudsman and my MP.

It seems to me that Mr Cullens time woud have been better spent devising his own brand which he could fully protect and exploit. (Dance B.C. ? )

(B.C. Billy Cullen? )

(Before Ceroc?)

Thread Information