Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What would attract you to a new venue?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: What would attract you to a new venue?

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    I see you are doing you bit for global warming then!

I notice from your website that you are a UK champion...Is it you that is opening the Mayors LeRoc Ball on 3rd May? When do your classes start as I have a few friends that a looking to try something new, so how would you describe your dance style?

SPROGGS.....
    I am doing my bit by trying to get dancers that travel out of Hastings to stay put by opening this venue.

No idea who is opening the Mayors Ball. AFAIK, they dont have any MJ 'Names' there. All been arranged by Ken and Mike I belive.

Can't say on here when they start etc as dont want to fall fowl of the advertising rules, thats not why I started the thread (more of a discussion point) but will be updating my website in the next day or two with full details.

The dance style I will be teaching is smooth jive which is different from Leroc that is taught down here in that :-...

Tension and compression, conectivity is important

No over turning or preparing for turns / returns

Is danced in a slot rather than rotational and all over the floor

The music will be different in that there is a playlist of over 2000 songs, none of which will be played more than once a month and the last 30 mins will be blues, R&B and WCS style music

The count for the moves will not be 8 beat counts instead of 1&2&3&4

NO ARM JIVE

NO ROC STEPS

Slight Footwork

More lessons that emphisise on technique instead of just some random moves.

Im guessing I must have danced with you at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    That leads me to another thing I need to get sorted. I need Taxi dancers but under another name. Cant think what to call them.
    Gigolos and Hostesses then ?????
    h
    h
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 18th-March-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Gigolos and Hostesses then ?????
    h
    h
    Talking of which

The count for the moves will not be 8 beat counts instead of 1&2&3&4

NO ROC STEPS
    just out of interest - why have you decided the above? The counting system would be odd but I'm guessing wouldn't actually affect anything, like calling out cinq, six, sept, huit...

But no rock steps? I can't really imagine MJ without rock steps, or any swing based dance for that matter. Any chance you could post a video detailing the new style? Would be v interesting.

Thanks

Dan

P.S. All the other improvements sound good

Anyone got any other suggestions as to what else could be done?
    To make your new venues go with a swing you need to attract both experienced and new dancers, a venue full of beginners is a nightmare for everyone. You firstly need to get them there...Other than bolt the door you need something to keep them there...Gimicks, it they work at all only work for a short time. They are not interested in teacher that can spin ten times without falling over. They want to learn to dance themselves.

If an experienced dancer decides to give a new venue a try, and, if you want them to come back again and again they will need experienced dancers to dance with themselves.... What we want to see dancers putting back something into dance whatever style it is....

If it was not for the Dancers who came across from Eastbourne when Peter Phillips introduced MJ to Hastings. Hastings would not had become as good as it is, without those experienced dancers wanting to put something back.

Peter worked hard to get it to take off - There are now over 250 dancers a week over 4 venues, considering the population numbers and age mix.

If there were bigger Venues no doubt we would see more dancers discovering MJ - Hastings/Bexhill/Eastbourne has Three excellent LeRoc Federation & UKA qualified Teachers.....each offer something different to the dancers.

Your venue should offer something different to what else is available locally- You need a good formular....Your own formular for success.

You will also need a credible teacher a few examples...CeRoc, LeRoc, UKA, IDT qualified.

There are plent of Good dancers who try to call themselves "teachers" that are not - Being a good dancer does not make anyone a good teacher it is a skill to teach otherwise we would all be teachers/Instructors.

The easiest thing in the World is to critisise another persons actions or club...Talk Hastings Dance up not keep putting it down.

SPROGGS

Interesting.....

Yes I know Mike & Ken, I go to their clubs sometimes. I understand James is also organising the Ball - It is a Charity Event. I have my ticket.

SPROGGS.

To make your new venues go with a swing you need to attract both experienced and new dancers, a venue full of beginners is a nightmare for everyone. You firstly need to get them there...Other than bolt the door you need something to keep them there...Gimicks, it they work at all only work for a short time...
    When people go out they are looking for something familiar, and for something different as a mix. Same restuarant different dish, different restuarant, same dish (at least in name).

In dance we are "buying" the other attendees. Fresh faces, whatever level, add interest. Keep it fresh. Novelty

They are not interested in teacher that can spin ten times without falling over. They want to learn to dance themselves.
    Some are, some would like to see a teacher that spins ten times, then falls over. TV shows pay £250 for clips like that.

If an experienced dancer decides to give a new venue a try, and, if you want them to come back again and again they will need experienced dancers to dance with themselves.... What we want to see dancers putting back something into dance whatever style it is....
    A room full of dishy newbies is an attraction for some ...

...Your venue should offer something different to what else is available locally- You need a good formular....Your own formular for success...
    Other peoples tried and tested formulae have been known to work too. Everything your competitors do is not rubbish.

You will also need a credible teacher a few examples...CeRoc, LeRoc, UKA, IDT qualified.

There are plent of Good dancers who try to call themselves "teachers" that are not - Being a good dancer does not make anyone a good teacher it is a skill to teach otherwise we would all be teachers/Instructors.
    A stand-up comedian can pack more people into the same Jongluers venue that is used for a Ceroc class.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    A room full of dishy newbies is an attraction for some ...:
    Unless that havepulled your shoulder and trodden on your toes I guess

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    some would like to see a teacher that spins ten times, then falls over. TV shows pay £250 for clips like that.

Yes it makes for a very enjoyable evening....Except for the Teacher..

SPROGGS

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Interesting.....

Yes I know Mike & Ken, I go to their clubs sometimes. I understand James is also organising the Ball - It is a Charity Event. I have my ticket.

SPROGGS.
    Mike and Ken have both anounced it and never mentioned James at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    just out of interest - why have you decided the above? The counting system would be odd but I'm guessing wouldn't actually affect anything, like calling out cinq, six, sept, huit...

But no rock steps? I can't really imagine MJ without rock steps, or any swing based dance for that matter. Any chance you could post a video detailing the new style? Would be v interesting.
    Its the way rock steps are taught that is the main problem not the actual shift of weight itself. The whole weight shift thing can be done without obvious great big stomping steps and heel stop, heel stomp action that goes with them.

...A room full of dishy newbies is an attraction for some ...
    Alright, be nit-picky ... dishy newbies with medical skills ...

Alright, be nit-picky ... dishy newbies with medical skills ...
    And a first aid kit - Not bad enough for the kiss of life though...Just bruises.

SPROGGS

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

And a first aid kit - Not bad enough for the kiss of life though...Just bruises.

SPROGGS
    That was something else I was thinking about, sending my "Taxi's" on a 1st aid course. Will have a perm 1st aider in anyway, but think it's worth doing.

That was something else I was thinking about, sending my "Taxi's" on a 1st aid course. Will have a perm 1st aider in anyway, but think it's worth doing.
    Don't forget your liability insurance!

Anyway you should be able to get it at a reduced rate as you are a teacher I hear LeRoc is covered by the UKA....

SPROGGS (it is truly amazing what I know and it is of no use to man nor beast)

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A room full of dishy newbies is an attraction for some ...:
    HEY!!! I never wrote that

I think you've got your quotes mixed up my dear!

I believe it was BigDJiver
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Its the way rock steps are taught that is the main problem not the actual shift of weight itself. The whole weight shift thing can be done without obvious great big stomping steps and heel stop, heel stomp action that goes with them.
    Ah! I see, I'm all with you there .

Dan

HEY!!! I never wrote that

I think you've got your quotes mixed up my dear!

I believe it was BigDJiver
    Quite right, it was I. I used the multi-quote icon and quote icon to build those two quotes, and have no idea how your name came to be there. Apologies for not proof-reading it.

One thing that attracts me to a venue is curiosity. I like novelty. The name "Casbah" was enough to get me there. The teacher is another. The name Viktor was enough to get me to his. Graham LeClerc was enough to get me to try and get to his. Amir, Andy McG, Mikey, Franck, Lee are some of the "names" that feature on my "wanna" list, for differing reasons.

I went to the Luton alternate venue just to see what it was like. It is a social club and I expected a small dancefloor, and a low attendance. There were about 50 there and the dancefloor was just big enough to cope.

It is about people not places. There were lots of good dances to be had and I enjoyed myself far more than I expected to.

I did feel sorry for the couple that travelled down from Rugby on the expectation that Marc would be teaching. It was their first time of seeing Michaella teaching, and they enjoyed that instead.

Next week Luton moves back to their regular venue, the Riverside club. This was already one of the better venues but it has had a major upgrade. There is a new dancefloor, and a lounge with big TV screens. Michaella has made a major push to get a big crowd along for the first night at the remodelled club and will be teaching.

Michaella ("Mick") has been in outstanding form over the last few weeks, and I recommend anybody wanting to see a model of how to make a class an entertainment as well as a learning experience to catch one of her classes.

Tues 7th at Luton therefore ticks three of the "attracts" boxes for me. A new(ish) venue, a great teacher, and I expect lots of dancers who have been deprived over the last few weeks. (A lot of the Luton regulars would not have fancied the sound of Leagrave as a venue location, and stayed away. There are some estates there with a bad press, but it is very big area, and the alternate venue was miles from them.).

Thread Information