Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would attract you to a new venue?

Re: What would attract you to a new venue?

Any of:
    Close to my house.
    Good teaching.
    Ability to rotate as a follow in the class.
    Lots of freestyle time.

Blog Entries

So come on, details, details!

Where are they going to be, what nights, what's the website?

Good luck, by the way.

I hope it all goes well and I admire you for trying to improve the situation in your area instead of just moaning about it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    So come on, details, details!

Where are they going to be, what nights, what's the website?
    I'm sure you're not really encouraging Lee to break Forum rules...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    There is no dancers around in this area I would consider good enough to 'Taxi'. Pretty stuffed on that but will try and look for some people in next few weeks to train up. There are only 4 of us under 40 that go dancing, me and claire who will both be on stage and 2 girls who may Taxi. No young blokes though, or blokes that can dance for that matter .
    If you haven't got the best dancers for taxis the next thing you can look for is people people if you know what i mean ie big smiles excitement etc
    We are lucky in our area having so many good dancers who want to help we can be a bit more fussy over who we pick as taxis and crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    If you haven't got the best dancers for taxis the next thing you can look for is people people if you know what i mean ie big smiles excitement etc
    Or, better yet, make the investment to train people who have the right attitude. Because attitude can't be taught.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Surely it's not breaking the rules if I ask for details so I can go?
    If so, shouldn't the Southport threads be renamed, "some place up north, that's not arranged by ceroc and might be on sometime soon"?

Blog Entries

Surely it's not breaking the rules if I ask for details so I can go?
    It's pushing the limits, let's put it that way. At the moment, I'm working on the assumption that Lee started this thread because he wanted to initiate a general discussion.

If it turns out that Lee advertises his own event details, on a thread he started, that would be a clear rule breach.

If so, shouldn't the Southport threads be renamed, "some place up north, that's not arranged by ceroc and might be on sometime soon"?
    Well, we can always hope. Although it should be "down South" considering the site

But seriously, have you noticed that Wes and John don't start threads on their events?

Blog Entries

But seriously, have you noticed that Wes and John don't start threads on their events?
    Good point, well made.

Lee can you PM or MSN me the details please?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

It's pushing the limits, let's put it that way. At the moment, I'm working on the assumption that Lee started this thread because he wanted to initiate a general discussion.

If it turns out that Lee advertises his own event details, on a thread he started, that would be a clear rule breach.

Well, we can always hope. Although it should be "down South" considering the site

There are forum rules? Why did no one tell me or make it known! is there a link to the forum rules somewhere???

No intention of advertising where it is but happy to send PM's of detail to anyone that asks. There are no forumites within a 30 mile radius of the venue anyhow. Thread was started because I seriously want peoples ideas and suggestions.

Blog Entries

There are no forumites within a 30 mile radius of the venue anyhow.
    Sounds perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Spacious free parking next to venue.
    Free water coolers.

Free beginners DVD and Info pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Free back massage by a qualified (and hot) physio ?
    Seems ‘Free works pretty well’

An attitude like this would put me off certainly as a man or if id been dancing less then 15yrs. Do you think comments like this 'promote your venue' ??

I can see why you wouldnt want all beginners but to suggest you dont know any men that can dance or would be good enough to Taxi seems very hotshottie

There is no dancers around in this area I would consider good enough to 'Taxi'. ……….No young blokes though, or blokes that can dance for that matter

Would rather start with 20 people and build up to 120 than have 120 beginners through the door

Anyone got any other suggestions as to what else could be done?

An alternative class run simultaneously to the beginners MJ class eg Cha-cha-cha.

I've tried a new venue because of this and it was a fabulous night.

Daisy

(A Latin Little FLower)

PS Enough safe, free parking is a big draw for me as I usually travel alone.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I can see why you wouldnt want all beginners but to suggest you dont know any men that can dance or would be good enough to Taxi seems very hotshottie
    If he's trying to teach his own style of dance then it makes sense to build up from the roots, and not bring in MJ trained taxis. To be honest, I can't really imagine how 4 and 8 count patterns would work with most MJ moves*, but then it sounds like something that needs to be seen.

I'm guessing there would only be one class, at least to start with? So the lack of taxi dancers wouldn't be that serious, as you and the demo will be able to do the honours.

Dan

* surely making a dance based around regular count patterns takes the fun out of learning how to dance musically to real music?

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    * surely making a dance based around regular count patterns takes the fun out of learning how to dance musically to real music?
    True but when the majority of the customers are beginners, musically isn't really gonna come first in the list of things to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    An alternative class run simultaneously to the beginners MJ class eg Cha-cha-cha.

I've tried a new venue because of this and it was a fabulous night.
    If you are trying to work out what is succesfull, it would be interesting to compare the results that two different organisations (using different models) have achieved at the same venue.

Thats whats happened at the venue DC is refering to, Knutsford. Formerly occupied by Revolution Jive, its now host to LeRoc Latin Jive (bit of a mouthful). From what I understand, the new guys are using a differenmt approach, and are being surprisingly succesfull.

Will be interesting to see how they are doing 6 months on. Revolution Jive hit problems and are triying pastures new, though I think that was supposed to be down to problems with the floor .... however, the floor at Knutsford now is very good. Lee, if you want to learn what works why not contact the two organisers. You're not in their patch so I would hope they wouldn't have a problem giving you pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Ability to rotate as a follow in the class.
    How many venues actually allow this? I keep wanting to do it but I get the impression that I wouldn't be allowed to. Also how many men refused to lead you when doing this?

Good luck Lee, I would be coming already if I was local. All your ideas sound good. Can you PM me if you are going to be putting up any video footage of the clasess so I can have a go at em.

Blog Entries

As you're wearing your Big Hat , could you explain how the forum rules won't allow Lee to answer someone's question, but do allow a teacher to start a thread for the opening night of a new venue?

I'm all for fair play, me.

...done in counts of 4 and 8 to ends of the slot.....
    This is the bit I'm quite impressed by. If I understand what Lee's saying it's such a significant difference to any other MJ taught (with the exception of Amir, I think). I'd love to find out more & I wish I were closer to Hastings. Good luck, Lee.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Seems ‘Free works pretty well’

An attitude like this would put me off certainly as a man or if id been dancing less then 15yrs. Do you think comments like this 'promote your venue' ??

Why would giving stuff away put you off coming?

With regards to not wanting beginners, I would prefer all beginners to those that have danced local for awhile and picked up some really really bad habbits (local teachers teach the use of thumbs, really bad drops etc). The men locally are nigh on all in their 60's/70's and wouldn't really fit in with the type of slotted smooth dancing I want to try and get accross let alone getting them to dance to Timberland Etc.

The way I am treating this is as if there are currently no modern Jive classes in the area as there might as well not be with the current state of things down here. It has to bee seen to be belived.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    As you're wearing your Big Hat , could you explain how the forum rules won't allow Lee to answer someone's question, but do allow a teacher to start a thread for the opening night of a new venue?

I'm all for fair play, me.

This is the bit I'm quite impressed by. If I understand what Lee's saying it's such a significant difference to any other MJ taught (with the exception of Amir, I think). I'd love to find out more & I wish I were closer to Hastings. Good luck, Lee.
    Cheers Lou. Not realy over worried about it as not my intention to promote it in the forum. Pretty against that myself as if allowed everyone will do it. I am assuming though it is ok to put a link to the website on my profile page as most other people do.

The vids of the lessons will be up online and I am toying with making them open access to everyone. Not running a class to make money, just to try and improve on things as they stand.

Thread Information