Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you worry if you think you have been called a hotshot?

Do you worry if you think you have been called a hotshot?

We have had debates before about what is isn’t a hotshot so I don’t really want to got there

On the recent rat pack post it was ‘assumed’ I was referring to certain people as being a hotshot , based on my poor grammar

It got me thinking if someone directly accused me of being a hotshot id consider it an honour given my lack of social and dancing skills

If they indirectly accused me id like to know why but as above

Some people seem to get so defensive

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Fun though it is watching S38 getting beaten around the head, I think he's got a point.
    The general tone of responses seem a bit, well, over-defensive.
    Now for the record I only think 4 people on this forum are hotshots (I assume this statement will smoke them out )

Re: Do you worry if you think you have been called a hotshot?

Proud to be Scotland's first hotshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post

oh I'm sure there's been others before you..

"Do you worry if you think you have been called a hotshot?"

yeah... all the time ! it's my greatest fear.. that and having to fight off rampant supermodels all wanting my autograph

According to this website a hotshot is

Slang. A person of impressive skill and daring, especially one who is highly successful and self-assured.

hotshot: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

I thought Hot Shots were people who thought they were the best dancers and only dance with a select few, but when you actually manage to grab them for a dance, they are average/rubbish dancers...usually because they dance with so few people that their range is pants.

That's my experiance anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Slang. A person of impressive skill and daring, especially one who is highly successful and self-assured.
    Of course I didn't explain it but my first post was as much a (private) joke with Franck, a ref to all the stupid threads about WCS and hotshots, as a statement that:

I don't believe in hotshots.

For those people who refuse dances based on the asking party's ability (or supposed ability), in my book they're just rude and not worth asking a second time.

The rest of the hotshot accusations is drivel by those who see a group of friends having fun and feel left out for whatever reason (confidence issue with their own abilities, whether dancing or social, being new to a scene, etc).
    Last edited by Caro; 13th-February-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Oh, in that case, feel free to call me a Hotshot.

I guess your personal interpretation of the term Hotshot, defines your reaction to being called one. I see it as someone who thinks they are great, regardless of whether they are in reality, therefore see others (unless they are the chosen ones) as not worthy of their time or attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I thought Hot Shots were people who thought they were the best dancers and only dance with a select few, but when you actually manage to grab them for a dance, they are average/rubbish dancers...usually because they dance with so few people that their range is pants.

That's my experiance anyway.
    Do you think it's the same for sex? Are people who sleep around a lot better partners because their range is wider?

Do I worry about what people call me?

Not in the least. You can be called a Hotshot or an Ordinary Joe, up your own ar$e or wonderful, depending on the perception of who is doing the calling.

You are only offended if you value the opinion of others rather than your own honest judgement of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Do you think it's the same for sex? Are people who sleep around a lot better partners because their range is wider?
    No, because they can use the same few moves on each partner and think they are impressing them. They don't have to try so hard to stop the boredom setting in.
    (Actually just like dancing, so sorry DT your theory doesn't stand up)

452596 makes a valid comment

Quote Originally Posted by 452596
    I see it as someone who thinks they are great, regardless of whether they are in reality, therefore see others (unless they are the chosen ones) as not worthy of their time or attention.

452596 makes a valid comment
    Hey, only my chosen friends get to use my nickname! (At least you spelt it correctly)

Commercial Operator

hotshot: Definition and Much More from Answers.com
    Is this what you consider a hotshot to be S38? Maybe if you had made this clear on the other thread then you wouldn't be so bruised now.

For those people who refuse dances based on the asking party's ability (or supposed ability), in my book they're just rude and not worth asking a second time .
    This is what I thought a hotshot meant. I think many others do as well hence the defensive reactions that occur once the hotshot term is mentioned.

The rest of the hotshot accusations is drivel by those who see a group of friends having fun and feel left out for whatever reason (confidence issue with their own abilities, whether dancing or social, being new to a scene, etc).
    You tend to find that friends sit together or at least dump their bags in the same place. This leads to quite a lot of dancing together. Also if they are your friends then of course you want to dance with them. If the group you're associated with are in the majority experienced dancers then suddenly you're a hotshot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Oh, in that case, feel free to call me a Hotshot.

I guess your personal interpretation of the term Hotshot, defines your reaction to being called one. I see it as someone who thinks they are great, regardless of whether they are in reality, therefore see others (unless they are the chosen ones) as not worthy of their time or attention.
    Absolutely. I think this is what many think when they hear that term.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    Do I worry about what people call me?

Not in the least. You can be called a Hotshot or an Ordinary Joe, up your own ar$e or wonderful, depending on the perception of who is doing the calling.

You are only offended if you value the opinion of others rather than your own honest judgement of yourself.
    While in everyday life I would totally agree with you here when it comes to the dancing world my feelings differ. It is important to me how others see me. I try to make sure I am dancing with everyone of all abilities and hope that this makes me approachable. I would be upset if people viewed me as looking down on others and acting in a way that I would not like to be on the receiving end of. When it comes to dancing it's very personal.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

According to this website
    Ahem.

According to the Forum Glossary:
    Hotshot: Slang: a dancer, typically mid-intermediate-level, who habitually refuses to dance with other "lesser" dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    I would be upset if people viewed me as looking down on others
    You'd need to be wearing the highest pair of heels you own, to do that TB.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    If people generally have a lot of sex with a lot of different people they tend to be better at 'sex' then those that dont

Of course those who have been married for 30yrs to the same person will argue the difference but im afraid its the 'cads' that usually come up trumps in the bed department, slightly different to 'partner department'

So if you only have 3 dance partners male or female you will be 'limiting' your potential yes.

If people generally have a lot of sex with a lot of different people they tend to be better at 'sex' then those that dont

Of course those who have been married for 30yrs to the same person will argue the difference but im afraid its the 'cads' that usually come up trumps in the bed department, slightly different to 'partner department'

So if you only have 3 dance partners male or female you will be 'limiting' your potential yes.
    Or you could look at it another way. They need to have lot's of different partners because the one's that have experienced them don't come back for more.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You tend to find that friends sit together or at least dump their bags in the same place. This leads to quite a lot of dancing together. Also if they are your friends then of course you want to dance with them. If the group you're associated with are in the majority experienced dancers then suddenly you're a hotshot!
    If history teaches us one thing*, it's that if you dance in a relatively closed group, some people - often a lot of people - outside that group will see you as a hotshot, cliquey, arrogant or whatever. That's their opinion, and it's been consistently expressed on enough occasions so that I think it's pretty much the Law.

If you don't like that, then the answer's simple, don't dance in a closed group. But don't try to say "I'm not a hotshot / clique / etc.", because you're arguing against someone else's subjective and emotional opinion. Which never works.

I would be upset if people viewed me as looking down on others and acting in a way that I would not like to be on the receiving end of. When it comes to dancing it's very personal.
    To be brutally honest, the only way to avoid that, is to not dance so much within a group.

If you dance mainly within a group, you will give that impression, at least to some people.

* Rep to the first person who can tell me where that comes from

Minnie's thread on the WCS dancers at SP last June ?

I'm sure there must be plenty of others, but that's the one that sprung to mind...

If history teaches us one thing*,
    It sounds like a quote from Indiana Jones and the holy grail where he is in a classroom of students at his university. The line ends with a bit about " and x does not mark the spot".

Anywhere close?

Thread Information