Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indulgence?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Indulgence?

A few weeks ago, a single male friend of mine was moaning that he can never keep on top of things and always feels as though he's constantly playing catch up..

He works hard and earns a decent wage and has a 'potentially' nice home but being a typical man, he doesn't 'see' the things we do.. let alone get round to doing them.

So I suggested he got a cleaner.

And three weeks later, he is one happy chappy.

For £21 per week, he's got a clean house (woman's touch styley), clean sheets and bed made (ready for action, if he gets lucky) and ironed shirts, hanging back in his wardrobe.

He said he feels like a new man, with a new lease of life!

I think everyone has necessary indulgences, one's where you 'could' do them yourself but its just not worth it!

Mine are, getting my car hand washed.. they do it so much better than I ever could.. I know I'd waste half a day and I wouldn't be happy with it after anyway.

And a window cleaner - who I sometimes get to do the 'insides' as well! How bad is that?

What indulgences do you have?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Indulgence?

I get my car cleaned and I usually fake a minor nervous breakdown about every six months so that my mum comes to stay with me and spring cleans my house.

Gav cleans the windows, unblocks the drains, does all the manly maintenance stuff...and I...well....I pretend to do the rest.

As Oscar Wilde once said "Never put off today what you can leave until tomorrow"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Gav cleans the windows, unblocks the drains, does all the manly maintenance stuff...and I...well....I pretend to do the rest.
    I must remember to thanks the magic pixies that wash and iron my shirts for me, and cook me lovely dinners .

Now that I have a small garden, I indulge in a gardener. Who comes round whenever it needs doing (he drives past fairly regularly, and has a glance at the garden) - normally every 3 weeks to a month - dependant upon need.

I used to have a cleaner, and I want one again. Thing is there are good and bad ones, when I have used cleaning contractors in the past, I have not been happy with the "care factor" - things got broken and mirrors got scratched.
    The best results I have had has been friends who want extra cash.

Having moved into a new area, now seeking a friend or someone who is retired or has young kids and wants some extra cash and actually cares about my house and my stuff.

I would fully recommend an indulgence of a cleaner - I now just have to find a good one...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I would fully recommend an indulgence of a cleaner - I now just have to find a good one...
    On the Gold Coast? I'm fairly handy with a duster myself...
    (I might need you to pay for my transport though )

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    On the Gold Coast? I'm fairly handy with a duster myself...
    (I might need you to pay for my transport though )
    Funny that, I was also in need of a handyman to put up some pictures, fix the dryer on the wall, and change some taps over to the ones I like better. The air fare might be a bit much though...

I have been seriously considering an AuPair... even though I have no kids to look after.

Now where can I find an AuPair, who does cleaning, maybe some cooking, will load the dishwasher and help out with my paperwork in the office?

Actually this could be a serious question...

An AuPair gets free accomadation and food, use of car, 15 to 20 hours max work a week and some spending money.
    Flight needs to be paid by the AuPair.

A good oppertunity to PM me if you or someone you know wants time out in Aussie...

Blog Entries

Funny that, I was also in need of a handyman to put up some pictures, fix the dryer on the wall, and change some taps over to the ones I like better. The air fare might be a bit much though...

I have been seriously considering an AuPair... even though I have no kids to look after.

Now where can I find an AuPair, who does cleaning, maybe some cooking, will load the dishwasher and help out with my paperwork in the office?

Actually this could be a serious question...

An AuPair gets free accomadation and food, use of car, 15 to 20 hours max work a week and some spending money.
    Flight needs to be paid by the AuPair.

A good oppertunity to PM me if you or someone you know wants time out in Aussie...
    OK, but do I have to wear a skimpy maid's outfit

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    OK, but do I have to wear a skimpy maid's outfit
    Optional, I would not like to be restrictive, should you have a fetish.

Twirly cooks my dinners (and very nice they are too) and I have to say I enjoy not having to cook for myself.. I get to eat a variety of healthy tasty meals.. and not living on Microwave ready meals as I tended to do in Aberdeen. She also puts me up (or is that puts up with me?) and is giving me a warm dry home in London for which I'm eternally grateful.

In return I do the dishes for her (least I can do if she cooks) and she gets to pick my brains about all things geeky. As I'm currently living in London but not actually working until next Tuesday I'm also spending my time doing the Laundry, washing the bathroom and toilet, Vacuuming the flat and washing the car. She doesn't demand I do these, but I like being able to help her while I can.

I get other fringe benefits living with my girlfriend too.. but I'll not mention those here

edit..

oh yeah.. I also get decent TV reception

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I get other fringe benefits living with my girlfriend too
    She's got a fringe?

Au naturel taken to the extreme

Glitter Queen

Broadband and a mobile phone are my indulgences.
    Sometimes I treat myself to something nice from Borough market for dinner.
    I can't afford to be extravagant, and certainly couldn't afford to pay a cleaner .

I have a friend who does my ironing, she also does some cleaning for me too but I always find when some-one else does the cleaning I either clean before them ( so that it's not too much of a mess ) or after them ( if I don't feel its been done 'properly' )

Ironing is really important because I am colour blind and I find everything much easier to decipher when the clothes have been hung away in colour order ....... from black to white.

My biggest indulgence has to be the inclusion of a HUGE dressing room when building an extension two years ago

She doesn't demand I do these, but I like being able to help her while I can.
    Not yet I don't...

btw - did I mention that I've got a butler's outfit on order for you?

oh yeah.. I also get decent TV reception
    Now I know the real reason he moved down

I know how Lory's friend feels though. When I was doing some studying (2-3 nights a week and all weekend every 3rd weekend) I had a lot of difficulty in keeping on top of the domestics, and my luxury then was a cleaner for a couple of hours a week - it was bliss! I'd come home on a Thursday evening to a lovely clean, tidy flat, with no rubbish to put out (a pet hate of mine). I kept her on well after I'd finished studying

Sadly, about a year ago, she had to move back to Poland to look after her father, and I miss her and her cleaning skills (she was a lovely person too) When I get my flat sorted (rennovations), I would love to have another cleaner, if I can get a good one recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    I always find when some-one else does the cleaning I either clean before them ( so that it's not too much of a mess ) or after them ( if I don't feel its been done 'properly)
    I would love a cleaner but I know it would be a waste of time because I would do this too.

I'd love to pay someone else to do the ironing but the one time I did this my husband gave me such a guilt trip that I still haven't worked myself up to doing it again.

The thing I really need soon is a dishwasher. Life is way too short to wash dishes by hand.

When i 1st moved into my flat i had a cleaner who would clean and do my washing and ironing.

It was bliss.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

Contact lenses and foreign holidays.

[QUOTE=Isis;452364I'd love to pay someone else to do the ironing but the one time I did this my husband gave me such a guilt trip that I still haven't worked myself up to doing it again.[/QUOTE]

You must make sure your husband never wastes any money on, eg, fitters to service his car, plumbers to sort out the taps, builders for the extension or the conservatory; furthermore, no items that break are to be replaced, it is up to him to fix them....

Aside from probably 4 dancing trips to the US this year.... a private in Night Club 2 Step with Ronnie at Brean. That has to be the summum of indulgence

Sounds good. And I bet I'd look better in the maid's outfit than Gav.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    You must make sure your husband never wastes any money on, eg, fitters to service his car, plumbers to sort out the taps, builders for the extension or the conservatory; furthermore, no items that break are to be replaced, it is up to him to fix them....
    It's alright....I saw sense eventually and divorced him. I just sometimes forget that I can now spend my hard earned cash on whatever the heck I want.

Thread Information