Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More sensationalist journalism!!

Commercial Operator

Re: More sensationalist journalism!!

[Even more off-topic]
    These days I tend to avoid entering into debate with Barry, chiefly because of his soapbox-tendencies (sorry Barry, but it had to be said)

BUT

It does strike me as interesting that, on this particular thread since the argument started to heat up and turn into A Small Corner of The World vs Barry, Barry has managed to conduct his arguments with cool logic and well researched fact in the face of some fairly nasty insults and derision... while his opponents seem to want to paint things as being the other way around.

The only one coming out of this with any dignity at the moment is, IMO, Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    well, it isn't exactly difficult for one to shine with dignity (and humour for that matter) when one is compared with Rocky, is it

Oh, I thought you all knew.

This is my pro bono charity work.

[Even more off-topic]
    These days I tend to avoid entering into debate with Barry, chiefly because of his soapbox-tendencies (sorry Barry, but it had to be said)

BUT

It does strike me as interesting that, on this particular thread since the argument started to heat up and turn into A Small Corner of The World vs Barry, Barry has managed to conduct his arguments with cool logic and well researched fact in the face of some fairly nasty insults and derision... while his opponents seem to want to paint things as being the other way around.

I'm curious as to how this works...in the thread about the Archbish, I made a lighthearted, nameless comment about making up a forumite to agree with your opinions. I was told to lay off accusing Rocky of creating a plant (which I didn't actually do). Yet no-one says a thing about the increasingly malicious, personal attacks being made on Barry. Why?

[Even more off-topic]

BUT

Umm... you have READ from post 39 onwards I suppose?? And if you have how on Earth can you categorize Barry's responses as 'cool logic'? His responses, as always when things get heated, are condescending and rude - we are looking at the same thread are we?? Or do you want me to cut a paste all of his remarks so that you can actually see them?

Oh, and yipppee doooo! Caro's moving to London.... good grief..

And TF, Barry get what he deserves. People attack him because he is more often than not the first one to make personal abusive comments. Normally they are aimed at people's intelligence in the way of suggesting that they are a bit simple and should bow to his greater (self perceived knowledge). This normally follows the route of correcting spelling mistakes or grammtical errors and then ends up with a spot of light ridicule and sarcasm.
    Last edited by Rocky; 21st-February-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    Yet no-one says a thing about the increasingly malicious, personal attacks being made on Barry. Why?
    Because I feel that Barry is more than capable of defending his own lines of argument.

As for the malicious personal attacks. How people conduct themselves on the forum, either good or bad, allows people reading to make up their own mind as to the value of their arguments and ability at logical reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    Because I feel that Barry is more than capable of defending his own lines of argument.

As for the malicious personal attacks. How people conduct themselves on the forum, either good or bad, allows people reading to make up their own mind as to the value of their arguments and ability at logical reasoning.
    I was meaning more in a moderatory type way...I completely agree with you...(will rep when I can...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post

And TF, Barry get what he deserves. People attack him because he is more often than not the first one to make personal abusive comments. Normally they are aimed at people's intelligence in the way of suggesting that they are a bit simple and should bow to his greater (self perceived knowledge). This normally follows the route of correcting spelling mistakes or grammtical errors and then ends up with a spot of light ridicule and sarcasm.
    Oh, I see, you feel justified in your attempts to bully someone specifically.

I was meaning more in a moderatory type way...I completely agree with you...(will rep when I can...)
    "Moderatory" - what a fabulous word. It's perfect for poetry - or song lyrics.

(To tune of Sweet-talkin' guy...)

He's a good-posting (good-posting) good-posting (good-posting) GU-UY!

moderatory...moderatory...way of act-ing...

Poor Barry...WHY do people attack him so? Why, oh why...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    ...oh, god, now you want to argue law with me.
    Well, if you think my analysis of the recent Lords decision is off; then a) you haven't read it carefully or b) despite 20 years you haven't understood the difference between the 3 and 6 year limits in personal injury.
    Nonsense. Betcha. Might not have the same name, but to suggest that there is no concept of civil wrongs in Scotland is ridiculous.
    So...o...o...

...Manchester United for the cup (law discussions being difficult for you)?
    The problem may stem from your usual difficulties in posting clearly.
    Here - take your ball with you.
    You'll note that in ALL cases Barry was the first person in the debate to start to become sarcastic and condescending. So he hardly needs 'protecting' does he..

Oh, I see, you feel justified in your attempts to bully someone specifically.
    Based on Barry's quotes above you should be able to understand that it's pretty much fair game to bully a bully, don't you think? Or are you still convinced he's just a straight up guy?

Commercial Operator

Umm... you have READ from post 39 onwards I suppose??
    From slightly after the point where we shift from Barry's soapbox to Barry's area of expertise? Yes.

we are looking at the same thread are we??
    I'm beginning to suspect not...

Oh, and yipppee doooo! Caro's moving to London.... good grief..
    A little off topic, but yes - I share your surprise - why anyone would want to move from Edinburgh to London is completely beyond me. I'm sure she's got her reasons though.

You'll note that in ALL cases Barry was the first person in the debate to start to become sarcastic and condescending. So he hardly needs 'protecting' does he..
    What does that have to do with you, you Militant anti-Barryite? Are you the Lone Horseman of the Forum? I don't think he needs protecting, I'm just wondering why someone is allowed to be so obviously bullying another forumite. I've read all those posts too and I still think you're the baddy.

{quoting Rorky}Oh, I see, you feel justified in your attempts to bully someone specifically.

Er...only you attack me, Hocky. The other people on this forum retort to my remarks and criticisms, some with greater and some with less vigour and/or annoyance.

In the thread which led to you being Ignored, David Franklin and David James were equally robust in their criticism of what I was posting. Neither of them is being Ignored.

Can you work out why?

PS And on this very thread, Stewart and I have used strong language at each other, but are still on posting terms.
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 21st-February-2008 at 06:13 PM.

I'm just wondering why someone is allowed to be so obviously bullying another forumite...
    Because he, err... bullies other forumites. That's why he's fair game..

From slightly after the point where we shift from Barry's soapbox to Barry's area of expertise? Yes.
    You do realise SC that Barry starts threads like these JUST so that he can pontificate over them. You're not really so naive that you believe that he's doing it for any other reason that to boost his ego are you?

Er..Hocky....
    Oh what a witty retort - now that's a keen legal mind at work!

Can you work out why?
    Yup, it's because when you don't get you're own way you like to play the victim to get some sympathy. You're post after putting me on ignore was laughable. Pretty much like this is... either you're ignoring me or you're not Barry, make your mind up..

PS And on this very thread, Stewart and I have used strong language at each other, but are still on posting terms.

And that's because Stewart's not as childish as you..
    Last edited by Rocky; 21st-February-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Because he, err... bullies other forumites. That's why he's fair game..
    Nah, you're just enjoying the chance to be nasty. What you're doing is sort of 'I slapped the wife because she deserved it...she dared to question me' thing. You're not being just or protective of other people, you're making sustained attacks on one person.

Not nice.

Commercial Operator

You do realise SC that Barry starts threads like these JUST so that he can pontificate over them. You're not really so naive that you believe that he's doing it for any other reason that to boost his ego are you?
    To blow my own trumpet for a second, I do sometimes possess the ability to look at things from other people's points of view. As such, while much of the time I disagree with Barry (sometimes vehemently), I can quite often see where he's coming from.

Anyway - you've given me two choices: 1) I'm naive, or 2) I believe Barry posts these posts to boost his own ego. Being able to look a bit further than that, I'm going for option 3)

Thread Information