Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: More sensationalist journalism!!

More sensationalist journalism!!

I couldn't find my thread about exorcism - I think it got moved outside and now I can't find it because I'm not registered. Sorry about that.

Ahhhneeway,

here's more outrageously sensationalised journalism from someone who doubtless didn't check his sources because of course we all believe official vatican statements before we believe anybody else.

Where the Polish guy says he sees 20 possessed people every week - do you think that's 1,000 people a year? Must be the same 20 people, more or less? You think?

Re: More sensationalist journalism!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I couldn't find my thread about exorcism - I think it got moved outside and now I can't find it because I'm not registered. Sorry about that.

Ahhhneeway,

here's more outrageously sensationalised journalism from someone who doubtless didn't check his sources because of course we all believe official vatican statements before we believe anybody else.

Where the Polish guy says he sees 20 possessed people every week - do you think that's 1,000 people a year? Must be the same 20 people, more or less? You think?
    Good luck to all those that 'exercise' their right

Whats your point anyway ?

Love this bit:

Internet addicts and yoga devotees are also at risk, he said.

Love this even more:

Jankowski cited the case of a woman who asked for a divorce days after renewing her wedding vows as part of a marriage counseling program. What was suspicious, he said, was how the wife suddenly developed a passionate hatred for her husband.

"According to what I could perceive, the devil was present and acting in an obvious way," he said. "How else can you explain how a wife, in the space of a couple of weeks, could come to hate her own husband, a man who is a good person?"

...As for the afflicted wife? "We're still working with her," he said.

The devil must be present and obvious in a helluva lot of marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Whats your point anyway ?
    Barry's point usually is along the lines of:

and concludes as such:
    What a bunch of useless hairy slug eaters !

Exorcists said the people they help can be in the grip of evil to varying degrees. Only a small fraction, they said, are completely possessed by demons -- which can cause them to display inhuman strength, speak in exotic tongues, recoil in the presence of sacred objects or overpower others with a stench.
    I know quite a few people that can do the last one ... perhaps they are possessed? Would explain quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    [I]Jankowski cited the case of a woman who asked for a divorce days after renewing her wedding vows as part of a marriage counseling program. What was suspicious, he said, was how the wife suddenly developed a passionate hatred for her husband.

"According to what I could perceive, the devil was present and acting in an obvious way," he said. "How else can you explain how a wife, in the space of a couple of weeks, could come to hate her own husband, a man who is a good person?"
    I liked that one particularly, as well.

Woman decides she can't stand her husband after they get married. Only possible answer is she is possessed.

This is what comes of having people live a life of celibacy so that their understanding of the real world is peripheral, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Barry's point usually is along the lines of:

and concludes as such:
    Try as I might, I'm having a little trouble recognising this description of myself...

Cool Re: More sensationalist journalism!!

I've never seen a hairy slug. Are they native to France?

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post

Well they do eat snails over there and slugs are pretty much shell-less snails, so she may well be familiar with a few hairy eaters of slugs ;-)

But I do like the idea and imagery of hairy slugs.

Woman decides she can't stand her husband after they get married. Only possible answer is she is possessed.
    And it states they were already in Marriage Counseling, so why would he be surprised all was not rosy in the garden?

This is what comes of having people live a life of celibacy so that their understanding of the real world is peripheral, at best.

Try as I might, I'm having a little trouble recognising this description of myself...
    I know, I'm having a really dry spell. If I was more inspired, I'd do your diary... I'm surprised DF hasn't done it already to be honest, you're easy material

picture it.... The diary of ballerinov...

...and now taxpayers' money is being used to pay for exorcisms.

Comment seems superfluous.

I've been having problems with the central heating in my office for months. Perhaps I'd get better and quicker attention if I claimed it was caused by an evil spirit...

I know, I'm having a really dry spell. If I was more inspired, I'd do your diary... I'm surprised DF hasn't done it already to be honest, you're easy material

picture it.... The diary of ballerinov...
    Something seems to be malfunctioning in my brain. 'Do my diary'? How's that work then? I have a sort of 'diary' at work, but my secretary looks after that....

She's talking about the funniest thread ever

Something seems to be malfunctioning in my brain. 'Do my diary'? How's that work then? I have a sort of 'diary' at work, but my secretary looks after that....
    Come on Barry, get on with the program. Funniest thread last year, here.

EDIT: Isis beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    As an aside... I thought it meant that the people eating the slugs were hairy - not that the slugs were hairy...
    ok.. back to the conversation...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's never stopped us before

From the article:
    Easington Council said the family could not be persuaded to stay in the house, and that by paying half the psychic ghosthunter's 120 pound fee they were saving money, as otherwise they would have had to pay for emergency housing.
    Barry, you know this law stuff - is that correct?

If a family voluntarily decide to leave a house for - effectively - religious reasons, is the council obliged to pay for their accommodation, no matter what?

Because I'd be inclined to tell them to get lost, personally.

I've been having problems with the central heating in my office for months. Perhaps I'd get better and quicker attention if I claimed it was caused by an evil spirit...
    Me too. Christ, it's cold here now

... Nope, didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    That's never stopped us before

From the article:

Barry, you know this law stuff - is that correct?

If a family voluntarily decide to leave a house for - effectively - religious reasons, is the council obliged to pay for their accommodation, no matter what?
    Housing Authorities have an obligation to provide accommodation for homeless persons.

However, despite the fact that s.21 Housing Act 1988 (as amended) provides that, where the original tenancy agreement was lawful, and where a lawful notice is served in compliance with the Act, the Landlord has an unqualified right to recover possession of the rented property, housing authorities routinely advise such persons that they must remain in the property until the landlord obtains a possession order, otherwise they will treat the tenant as having voluntarily made him or herself homeless. This removes the obligation on the local authority to find other accommodation.

Where the tenants are moving out of the house because they believe they are infected by ghosts I would have thought that the housing authority can treat them the same way.

However, the situation here is that the local authority is already the landlord of these people - they are in council accommodation. In those circumstances - laughably, and unsuccessfully, I would hope - the tenants could argue that the landlord was in breach of its covenant to grant 'quiet enjoyment'...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

{snip} otherwise they will treat the tenant as having voluntarily made him or herself homeless. This removes the obligation on the local authority to find other accommodation.

Where the tenants are moving out of the house because they believe they are infected by ghosts I would have thought that the housing authority can treat them the same way.
    Yes, that's what I'd have imagined.

If people voluntarily make themselves homeless, I'd have thought there's no obligation on the council to find them a home - that makes sense.

However, the situation here is that the local authority is already the landlord of these people - they are in council accommodation. In those circumstances - laughably, and unsuccessfully, I would hope - the tenants could argue that the landlord was in breach of its covenant to grant 'quiet enjoyment'...
    So, a follow-up question, does this establish a precedent?

For example, if the family claim that the ghost has returned, are the council now obliged to subsidise Ghostbusters permanently?

If another family in council accommodation next door decides that the ghost has moved to haunt their house, do the council now have to pay for psychic whatsits for them also? And if the council didn't pay for such treatment, would they be open to litigation based on unfair treatment?

Because, call me Mr Cynical, but I can't help wondering if this could be a nice little earner...

Finally, is the council officer who authorised such payment congenitally insane, or what? (OK, that was a rhetorical question)

Commercial Operator

I couldn't find my thread about exorcism
    We got a government grant to fund the exorbitant Ritual of Ecspelshnik, and we Cast It Out of the forum. Sorry about that - it was one of those heat-of-the-moment things.

Thread Information