Thread: Customer service - music requests at venues

Customer service - music requests at venues

The music at a venue is always a source of discussion and different views - and you're always going to get some people who don't like some of the music - that will never change.

I always find that venue managers/DJs are usually open to suggestions and feedback - which is great (certainly for Ceroc Chilterns and Ceroc Metro that is the case).

One approach to this taken by Boxmoor Beat (Hemel and Hatfield) - is a tear off slip at the bottom of their newsletter. Here you can write down 3 tracks you want - and hand it in to the desk when you come in - and they will do their best to play the tracks. I quite like this idea in principle - although I'm not sure how many people actually do this - maybe I will try on Thursday.

I wonder if there are other ways you have seen - and what works best.

Re: Customer service - music requests at venues

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post

One approach to this taken by Boxmoor Beat (Hemel and Hatfield) - is a tear off slip at the bottom of their newsletter. Here you can write down 3 tracks you want - and hand it in to the desk when you come in - and they will do their best to play the tracks. I quite like this idea in principle - although I'm not sure how many people actually do this - maybe I will try on Thursday.

I wonder if there are other ways you have seen - and what works best.
    Some years ago at cerocmetro chelmsford they put slips on the tables and on the front desk
    there is always a problem with this sort of thing as we all have different tastes and with over 150 people in most metro venues you will never please everybody even though as part of the crew now i can honestly say we try to

Commercial Operator

As a DJ, I'd much rather someone felt the dynamic- hopefully one they were enjoying- and "feel like a song" then come up and ask me for it.

Walking into a place with 150 people all asking for 3 tracks on a slip of paper wouldn't really inspire me into a great set: U'd be as well havng a jukebox, than a DJ.

That said, I go to great lengths to ensure people know I take requests and do my best to fit something in.

Commercial Operator Nigel Toast's Avatar

At Easyjive in Bedford they trust me to play cool music.
    If I get asked for something I will try to play it .
    If I haven't got it - I play it the following week.
    In the 'body' of the music if it fits
    or in the 'audition section' (7pm) if I'm not sure
    Same at Boxmoor Beat and Comet Jive
    Last edited by Nigel Toast; 12th-February-2008 at 12:42 PM.

If a tune is asked for I always try to fit it in.

If I havn't got it and its playable it will be available the next week.

Chris U
    Leeds, Shelf, Poynton occasionally Ritz, York and Engine Shed

At berko I arrived before the crowds, then I was asked what sort of music I was expecting in the blues room, which rather impressed me. (less of the WCS stuff was my response, and as extreme as you've got!)

I'd be worried that handing out slips would tend to generate requests from people who identify with tracks that they recognise and feel comfortable with, wheras I prefer the opposite (but have no idea what specific tracks I want before I hear them).

Sean

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The theory is nice but the reality might be a complete mish mash.

The best sets always take you on a journey, with tracks that either complimenting or contrasting with the previous one.

I can't see how the DJ would have any power to influence this, if he had to play everyones requests
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

There's at least 2 types of requesters. The first type are the people who give you great ideas to add to your set. These people are lovely, it's like having a team of music scouts who will come up with great suggestions. I love these people

Then there's the people who request tracks because they KNOW you're not going to play them otherwise. Every venue has a few of these. They usually have a particular taste in music that doesn't match yours, the majority of your dancers or anybody else within 3 miles. They want all of the music to be different and come to you with lists. I say thank you and pick one track from the list. And sometimes I say I played it earlier - these people usually arrive just in time for the second freestyle as they know all the dancing they need to know.

Then there's the third kind. They don't request anything, just complain about the music.

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    At berko I arrived before the crowds, then I was asked what sort of music I was expecting in the blues room, which rather impressed me. (less of the WCS stuff was my response, and as extreme as you've got!)

I'd be worried that handing out slips would tend to generate requests from people who identify with tracks that they recognise and feel comfortable with, wheras I prefer the opposite (but have no idea what specific tracks I want before I hear them).

Sean
    Was that you doiing Tango with Lory before the start?

I got a little note-book to leave at the front desk for comments and requests; seems to work and I think that looking at a page with a couple of previous requests and tics against them is reassuring and not as intimidating as looking at a blank page. I go and look at the book every now & again during the night to see if there is anything to work in.

(It also gives an opportunity for non-confrontational negative feedback; chance to see where you can improve.)

No - it was Saturday...

Blog Entries

trouble i find is that DJ's just dont recognise a song when i hum it to them. I never remember the song names.... cant we have a list of available songs so that we can choose them.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you must be talking about DJ?

or it could have been one other lad, he came in to watch and bravely got up and asked if he could have a go.. He'd never done ANY tango before but had a bloomin' good go at copying what he'd seen
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think you must be talking about DJ?

or it could have been one other lad, he came in to watch and bravely got up and asked if he could have a go.. He'd never done ANY tango before but had a bloomin' good go at copying what he'd seen
    It was the 'other' lad...........

.....I can spot DJ from 30 metres now, especially if I hear the strains of some tango-ey song pouring forth.

Thread Information