Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non 4/4 time signatures

Re: Non 4/4 time signatures

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    As Dave mentioned Mariachi, I shall reply here...

I guess different time sigs/feels/tempo changes, etc are all horses for courses..

At Mariachi, at weekenders, at Utopia and places such like... Whiolst we have beginners in mind, our focus tends to be intermediate and above dancers.

Now, at this point I stress there are some beginners who dance at an intermediate levekl without knowing intermediate moves.

I like to encourage musicality, expressionism within MJ. I prefer to see people dancing than doing moves. Some organisations tend to be more focussed on turnover, getting new beginners in and supporting them with what has been termed "doof doof" music. Each has its place.

So, MJ is primarily 4/4, sometimes 12/8 (particularly in blues...). However, there are more and more MJers who can WCS, Tango, WAltz, etc... It is possible to jive to 3/4, even 5/4 (I don't think I've danced to 7/4, but am open to it). It is also to adapt dance atyles within a song, if the music dictates it...

If U are bored of ur normal music, come and try Mariachi, or even Utopia/S'Funk events, where the music will challenge U. Some will be familiar, some not.. but every track will be dancable and U'll find like-minded dancers in the room!!

FWIW, if there is enough guitar in it, I shall try "Golden Brown" as one of the "On The Hour Experimantal Tracks" next week... IS a pity, from memory it's all bass and harpsichord
    I've just checked and unfortunately I can't get to the next Mariachi night . Sounds really fun though, I hope I can catch one at some point.

Dan

P.S. There's a tiny, beautifully minimalist guitar solo in Golden Brown, although you hardly notice it's there most of the time.

Re: Non 4/4 time signatures

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Was it Sugababes: Round Round?

That has a bit with Viennese Waltz timing in the middle.
    so does Bejork - "it's oh so quiet" I think...

Thread Information