Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian Children?

Re: Vegetarian Children?

Probably is, was only from a quick look at the internet to back up my vague memories of biology lectures.

more info (and quite alarming, but I guess you could always say the sample was too small!), this study looks at vegetarian teens:

This study aimed to identify attitudes, health behaviours, social adjustment and self-reported health of vegetarian and omnivore teenagers and determine characteristics independently related to vegetarian status. Participants were 630 Grade 9 students, ages 13-15 years, in seven schools in Ontario, Canada. (snip)

Dieting behaviours (current, frequent and past year), alcohol use, poorer social adjustment and poorer self-rated health were positively related to vegetarian eating (p<.05).

The independent, positive association of alcohol use with vegetarian eating is a unique and concerning finding. Dieting behaviours were strongly, independently and positively linked to female vegetarian eating.

Of course an explanation might be that girls with eating / drinking / social disorders are more likely to become veggies, rather than prove any influence of a vegetarian diet (or lack of protein) on their bahaviour.

I think I'd spend quite some time understanding why your girl wants to become a veggie...

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    you make Barry's job really, really easy there
    It's my hobby.

Do you know where I can paid for doing this? Please let me know!

So, we're concluding that a vegetarian lifestyle is beneficial if you are a Seventh Day Adventist.

My recommendation: become an atheist and pig out on the bacon, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    My recommendation: become an atheist and pig out on the bacon, dude!
    I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if one of my kids said they wanted to be a vegetarian. Not one of them would be able to resist the Sunday morning bacon sarnie fest at my house.

Kids are faddie. Go along with it and don't make a fuss when they cave in at McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if one of my kids said they wanted to be a vegetarian. Not one of them would be able to resist the Sunday morning bacon sarnie fest at my house.

Kids are faddie. Go along with it and don't make a fuss when they cave in at McDonalds.
    Yeah, I think there's a lot to be said for that. Nothing makes a child want something so much as being told they can't have it.

This is, of course, the origin of their fascination with sex, cigarettes and alcohol...

If you are worried about whether it is safe could you not tell her that she isn't old enough to make these decisions yet and that you can talk about again in a few years time?
    This has been my approach until now but she has mentioned it so often and for such a long time that I think it would be wrong to fob her off any longer. We had major tears and tantrums (mainly from me ) at dinnertime on Thursday before she went to her Dad's. As soon as she got home on Sunday, it was the first thing she mentioned and she put forward pretty strong reasons for wanting to give up meat. She's an intelligent, thoughtful and sensible wee girl, way beyond her years, so I think she deserves to be taken seriously. Having said that...

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I think you're soooo right. I've spent all day looking up recipes and talking to her about what she's going to eat instead. She kept saying "so you're really going to let me?" Then this evening she said "I might still have Popcorn chicken from KFC now and again".

Kids. Who'd have them?

Yeah, I think there's a lot to be said for that. Nothing makes a child want something so much as being told they can't have it.

This is, of course, the origin of their fascination with sex, cigarettes and alcohol...
    Aaaaaarrrgghh! I dread it when we reach that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I think you're soooo right. I've spent all day looking up recipes and talking to her about what she's going to eat instead. She kept saying "so you're really going to let me?" Then this evening she said "I might still have Popcorn chicken from KFC now and again".

Kids. Who'd have them?
    In the end.. if she's eating healthy foods.. who cares if she labels herself as a vegetarian, a piscetarian , a omnivore, a carnivore, a fruitarian or a penguinarian (I made that one up.. you can take it as someone who eats nothing but choccie biccies or someone who eats Antarctic sea birds .. it's up to you) A label is just something you apply to yourself. I used to be a Vegetarian and got all "Guilt tripped" if I lapsed and ate a burger or something. Then in the end I realised.. I eat what I feel like and don't have to explain myself to anyone. That means nowadays I eat mostly veggie foods but if I fancy a chicken sandwich.. I have a chicken sandwich. If I feel like bacon , I have bacon ! No worries .. no guilt trips.

What I DO try these days is to eat healthily and with an eye on the ingredients... that is if I fancy chicken I cook myself a chicken that I know is free range and organic and not pumped full of steroids, hormones and flavourings. I'd rather roast my own chicken than buy a KFC. (and really with very little effort they taste SO much better)

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    My nine year old has decided she wants to be vegetarian. She's been talking about it for a while and is very serious about it so I think I should co-operate. I'm just worried if it's safe for her to cut meat out of her diet and what shoud I feed her to make sure she gets the nutrition she needs? Any advice would be appreciated.
    This Wikipedia article might be of interest.

Thread Information