Thread: Anyone done a Car Boot Sale ?

Anyone done a Car Boot Sale ?

Anyone done one of these , was it worth the effort?

I assume you find one near to you turn up pay the fee and then let jo public see your wears

I realize I've got 17 boxes of essential items that are probably going from one attic to the next attic in my forth coming house move. Mainly books

I have for example probably 25 Guinness book of records kind of a traditional Christmas present, I even picked up one from cira 1958. I assume id sell them £2/£3 each ?

It would be pity to chuck stuff like that away particularly if someone wanted them to complete their own collection

Loads of Marvel comics etc some from the 1960s

Even my mum has about 200.. 78s rusting away in her garage my dad use to be a collector in 1950s.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone done a Car Boot Sale ?

I reckon you'd be best off selling anything even remotely valuable (e.g. Marvel comics) via eBay or suchlike.

At, Car boot sales, everything seems to be on sale for about 10p each - I very much doubt you'd get a couple of quid for a Guinness book of records, for example.

So if you've got 10,000 small items, they're great - get rid of most of them all in one go, and make maybe £100 out of it.

Otherwise, eBay.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

You would be suprised.

A few years back I used to do them once a week selling computers, parts and inks. Buying off ebay selling at bootsales.

I sometimes came back home with a couple of £k !!! Computers were being snapped up for between £50 and £500. One bloke once brought £1200 wirth of stuff cash then and there!

Must try doing it again this summer.

1 Do your research by visiting a few different sales in the locality, to check out what is on sale and at what price - don't forget that the price on display is probably not what the stallholder is prepared to sell at, and as the day wears on the actual sale price is likely to get lower.

2 Decide whether to pre-price and mark items, or just to tell the price to those who ask (there are pros and cons for each). Know what you're prepared to actually sell it for post-haggling.

3 Decide whether you are just going to sell everything regardless of what you receive for it (so you will lower prices as day wears on) or do you want to bring it back home.

4 Make sure you have enough table space (eg pasting tables) to display your items, and containers/boxes for books, records etc. A groundsheet is also useful. Depending what you're selling, take supermarket polythene bags so the punters can take the stuff away.

5 Have something (ideally see-through plastic) to cover your wares in the event of a shower.

6 Know before you set out the arrangements/times for arriving, paying, offloading, and leaving.

7 Get there VERY early to get a good pitch (which you will have decided on from your pre-visit).

8 When you get there and are offloading you will probably be surrounded by other sellers and dealers trying to get the good stuff early. You might choose to tell them that YOU are going to look round first, then you will offload and sell, but not before then. In any event, don't take less than your pre-price.

9 If your car is not at your pitch (eg indoor market) have some easy way of replenishing spaces from your (reserve) stock in the car boot.

10 Take plenty of coins and small denominaton notes for change.

11 Wear a bumbag or something you can easily access for money.

12 Know what to look for in counterfeit notes, particularly £20 ones.

13 Take a companion so that (a) you can have a break for loo/meal, and (b) there is less possibility of pilfering while your back is turned or you are dealing with another customer.

14 Have somewhere to sit.

15 Wear warm clothes/hat, and thick socks/boots/wellies if on a grassy field. (On the other hand, have sunblock if sale is in summer.)

16 Take sandwiches/soup and drinking water.

17 Check the weather before you set out to see if it's worth going! If it's raining forget it, take it all to the local charity shop and go back to bed feeling a warm glow of wellbeing and self-righteousness - you probably won't be much poorer anyway!

I've done a car boot sale - the only possible reason for doing one, as opposed to selling on Ebay, is because its a bit of a laugh. Kids enjoy it and it helps them to understand money and the benefits of recycling things you no longer use.

I have sold loads of old crap on Ebay over the last year and pocketed about £3,000

It's amazing what people will pay. I've been selling old books that were free for about £25 each. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Loads of Marvel comics etc some from the 1960s
    If they're in good condition, take them to an independent comic store or even talk to someone at Forbidden Planet, incase you've something rare.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    If they're in good condition, take them to an independent comic store or even talk to someone at Forbidden Planet, incase you've something rare.
    Comic shops, surprisingly, aren't that keen on buying old comics. I tried with my collection a year or so ago - their advice was to use eBay...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Comic shops, surprisingly, aren't that keen on buying old comics. I tried with my collection a year or so ago - their advice was to use eBay...
    I watch too many of those 'Cash in the Attic' type programmes. They always suggest these things!

Know there's a guy in Glasgow, who used to be a teacher at my old school, who set up a store and he buys old stuff, but only if it's been cared for. But I haven't ever done a car boot sale, so I have nothing useful to impart .

Never been a seller at one but been to plenty as a buyer. Always amazing the scramble of people around the car as a new seller arrives - you don't even get chance to unpack properly first. For this reason and others I'd say it was imperative that there's at least two of you. Keep a close eye on your money. Be ready for people to take the p*ss with what they will offer for an item. Have some warm clothing.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Never been a seller at one but been to plenty as a buyer.... Have some warm clothing.
    Yeah, you've found some real bargains in the clothing there, haven't you Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It's amazing what people will pay. I've been selling old books that were free for about £25 each. Brilliant.
    I was thinking the cost of postage would be more then the cost of the book

What do I know how much a Guinness book of records is worth cira 1980 (Ill go look)

Maybe better as a Job lot ? I've never used e-bay

In fact I know my mums got stuff from my dads re comics and movie stuff from the 1950s , means Ill have to pay her a visit this year

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Feet View Post
    I’ve got Fantastic Four , first addition using it as a door stop, what you saying ?

Ill have to have a look at my Stamp collection as well was given loads of stamps in the 1970s a few 'limted addition' from 2nd world war .

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    ... the scramble of people around the car as a new seller arrives - you don't even get chance to unpack properly first. For this reason and others I'd say it was imperative that there's at least two of you. Keep a close eye on your money...
    My advice is to wait for some more to arrive and start unpacking before you do. Around here the intitial rush includes thieves, let them move away to ambush others so there are less to ambush you. Unpack the big and cheap stuff first. Refuse offers for the first half hour, tell them offers taken later. They, or someone else, will return. The initial rush usually includes dealers, looking to buy stuff to sell on their stalls.
    Think ahead about rain, wind or even excessive sun. Take food & drink. Be prepared to come back with more than you took.

Blog Entries

I only did one once, I had about £200 worth of baby clothes and equipment and some other old cr4p.
    I got there at 07:00, got it all out and it was fekkin freezin'.
    A market trader came and looked over my stuff and offered me £75 for all the baby stuff.
    I took his money, gave all the other cr4p to a charity stall and was home by 08:00.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I was thinking the cost of postage would be more then the cost of the book
    On Ebay the cost of P & P is added to the price the bidders pay for your goods. Just check with the post office to see how much it would cost to post your goods.

I have about 300 of these worthless books in my garage. I've been selling them for anything from £5-£25 each. My sales on Ebay so far have paid for 6 weekenders and Beach Boogie last year. Lovely Jubley.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    My sales on Ebay so far have paid for 6 weekenders and Beach Boogie last year. Lovely Jubley.
    Hmmm...
    *Thinks about what she has that she could sell on Ebay*

eBay is brilliant, I used it to raise £350 (ish) when I suddenly needed a new oven in my flat and didn't have any other avenue to chose from.

People will buy almost anything, just have a picture and a good description. Like DT says, check with the post office website for parcel weight costs and you're away.

Good luck

Thread Information