Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X-rated Lara Croft, anyone?

Re: X-rated Lara Croft, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    From here:

It sounds like it's basically a loophole, and it sounds like lots of video game manufacturers are already submitting their games to the BBFC anyhow - so making this a legal requirement doesn't sound unreasonable.
    OK; when I get a mo' I'll check the Act and see what it says.

When I was younger, my friend and I managed to get a hold of "Postal!". At the time it was the only computer game to have ever been banned in New Zealand. It was therefore the coolest game that had ever come to New Zealand - and it's pretty tough for a 13 year old to see it any differently than that.

I think a restricted age rating for video games are a good thing, but really only as an aid to responsible parents. The irresponsible ones don't care what their kids are playing anyway, and a sufficiently motivated kid with parents that will allow them to play those games will find a way to get hold of them.

I don't think the content of video games is as big an issue as their use as a babysitter by so many of today’s modern and busy parents. Kids are not learning decent values because nobody's spending the time to teach them - not because video games tell them to be evil.

I'd like to think that I'm a productive and socially aware member of society, and yet I've played video games since I was 11 or 12. To the best of my recollection - all of them involved beating folk up, outright killing said folk or blowing stuff up. A few even involved genocide. I blame my parents for doing a decent job of parenting.

I don't think putting age restrictions on computer games is a bad thing. However I don't think it'll stop under aged kids playing them.

I can't say I played any racy or violent games when I was a kid.. they simply didn't exist !! The only games I had as a kid were space invaders (and their myriad clones) , Qubert , Bomb Jack , Valhalla and the Hobbit !!

I've played some violent /adult games.. everything from Postal, Carmageddon and Doom to Leather Goddess of Phobos (On Lewd mode.. obviously ) and Leisure Suit Larry. I don't think the games affected me any (apart from fighting the urge to drive over pedestrians ) I think kids will play the games regardless. I read horror as a kid.. I watched gruesome movies.. I even saw a few "Video Nasties" in my time and no bad effects ever happened to me.

A little advice for parents regarding recommended ages for computer games wouldn't go amiss. Lots of parents probably don't realise what sort of themes are being explored in these games. But as I said before, kids will play these games regardless and there's very little you can really do to stop them. I think the government should do more to tackle underaged drinking than underage playing of computer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    A little advice for parents regarding recommended ages for computer games wouldn't go amiss. Lots of parents probably don't realise what sort of themes are being explored in these games.

most games have a certification on them - my kids know their numbers and they know their ages. If it says "3" then they can all play it. If it says "7" then only the eldest can. Above and they can't.
    {The only one that's over their age I let them play is "the incredibles" - I've played it; I know what the game play is like and what they will be exposed to (and I know how bad they are at playing). I made the decision. (*)
    (* IMO 'Ray Man' and 'Spyro' contain as much nastieness, but since it's not a human representation the classification is lower)}

There could be a cry of "too much video games", but to my kids it's just another form of game to play inside - they might play ludo, elefun, guess-who or play with cars, trains, dolls or jigsaws or colouring in or a mirriad of other toys that I keep stepping on.

In saying that, I do know of other pre-school/primary school kids that get to watch/play what they like no matter the rating... these are also the kids who seem to not be out-doors much and seem to have more electronic games than physical ones... they also seem to be the ones with more wealthy parents: is there a link?

So I'm not sure what you're saying - do you think that the restrictions shouldn't be there at all? Or that they're fine as they are? Or what?
    I'm saying the restrictions should be there for video games etc. Burgarly is a different area I have no expierence in so therefore couldnt comment

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    I'm saying the restrictions should be there for video games etc.
    Cool, that's what I think too. So it must be right.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    Burgarly is a different area

Cool, that's what I think too. So it must be right.
    As a game player I've got absolutely no issue with having age restrictions (and I don't think 12 year olds should be playing GTA). I disagree with the recent BBFC censorship of Manhunt 2 (though I've no interest in playing the game) but then I feel rating and censorship are two completely separate issues.

Thread Information