Thread: Mutt prevention and doggie doings

Mutt prevention and doggie doings

For some years now there has been a big black dog that comes into the garden.

I am always agressive with the dog and shout at it. I once threw a lawnmower bin at it and it ran off.

Recently it has been came into the garden again and I spoke to the owner (who lets it run around without a leash. I beleive another neighbour complained about his dog because it attacked his dog.) He siad he wouldn't let it happen again. The man carries a big stick with him and I figure that that is to fight off other dogs that his dog attacks (remember that he lets it run all over the place and is VERY aggressive).

The man is a very big and belligerent fellow. Not the sort of guy I could knock out very easily.

His dog did it again and came at me whilst I was practising my dancing. (No I wasn't dancing to "Hound Dog").

I then spoke to the owner who was walking off and basically had to shout at him. The Scouser in me started to emerge. (I also spoke to the police).

Does anyone know about the dog pepper industry including laws. (E.g. do you have to be careful about what you lay down at the borders of your garden?). What are dog pehromones? Is there a big mutt prevention industry?

Re: Mutt prevention and doggie doings

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Does anyone know about the dog pepper industry including laws. (E.g. do you have to be careful about what you lay down at the borders of your garden?). What are dog pehromones? Is there a big mutt prevention industry?
    Sadly, the law doesn't do much to provide what are called 'self-help' remedies in this situation.

Generally, a land owner is liable in law for what happens on his land, even to trespassers. Anything done with malice is out; so putting a trap just inside your door to catch burglars would be unlawful - at least, it would leave you open to a claim if it caught one.

Broken glass or razor wire on top of walls is not allowed. If someone injured themselves it could lead to a law suit.

Dogs, in law, are just property, like a bicycle or a hi-fi. So if you were to use remedies which caused non-permanent discomfort to the dog, it's difficult to see what the claim would be for.

Oh, wait, no it isn't. The claim would be for, e.g., vet's bills, expenses, and so forth.

You might have a good defence if you put the owner on notice: 'Further to our recent conversation, and contrary to the assurances you gave me, I note that you are still failing to control your dog. This letter is to put you on notice that I have taken steps to discourage your dog from coming on to my property. I have retained a copy of this letter and it will be drawn to the attention of the court if and when appropriate.'

There is, however, the possibility that such sort of thing might contravene animal welfare statutes - the ones that the RSPCA charge people with. I don't know those acts at all so can't advise.

Your best course is to familiarise yourself with the provisions of the Dangerous Dogs Act and keep notifying the police of every breach of the act. If the dog has ever acted in a way which makes you feel threatened matey has to have it muzzled and kept on a lead in built up areas. (I think.)

Police will routinely say 'This is a civil dispute and you should see a solicitor'.

If you are sure of your ground, your reply should be "That's going to cost me several hundred pounds and probably more; this person is in breach of a criminal statute [cite the statute, if you can]; can you please give me written reasons why you refuse to take action against him."

Oh, one more thing. You can get one of those heavy duty water pistols. When the dog's not ready for it, a good squirt is usually quite discouraging. Make sure he's not ready for it, otherwise he might think it's a game.

There's also the option of phoning your local council and speaking to the dog warden. We share our driveway with the house in front of us and thier horrible dog regularly comes into our garden chasing rabbits. It also like to bark at us.... Unfortunately I think thw phrase hands & pockets is stopping the dog warden removing the smelly beast...

Way, way back when I was training as a vet nurse we had to learn a bit about the laws regarding animals. I think it's an offence to allow a dog to roam within a certain distance to a public highway - my memory is too fuzzy to remember the details - but as Jeanie said the best option would be to contact the local dog warden, and as Barry said keep perstering the police until they do something. Good luck!

Log onto e-bay and purchase a dog deterrant spray. Spray the bugger and he will not want to enter your garden again.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

Thanks

I reckon I can ASBO him.To their credit the police were quite interested but we agreed that I would try to find out where he lives.(I think I know).

I did see him on the other side of the road.

The episode made me interested in dog pehromone stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Log onto e-bay and purchase a dog deterrant spray. Spray the bugger and he will not want to enter your garden again.

DTS Dave XXX XXX
    Have to be careful - you don't want to get arrested for animal cruelty. Spray the owner instead - after all it's his fault for letting the dog off the lead.

Territorial pheromones for dogs (and lots of mammals) are in their urine, which is why/how they mark their territory.

So what you need to do is get friendly with someone who owns an even bigger, fiercer dog than your neighbour's, and ask for a bottle of its urine - which you could then spray around the border of your garden.

Or, of course, if you know anyone who has a pet lion .......

The Scouser in me started to emerge.
    oh oh
    (I also spoke to the police).
    was that after the scouser in you nicked the wheels of his car???

Commercial Operator

We had exactly the same situation with our neighbour's massive dog. We didn't do anything about it. Just came inside and waited for it to go away. Then, one morning after a party where we had a BBQ we found the dog going through our bin eating left-ever burgers. Sue picked up the bin and put the lid on it. The dog bit her on the forearm!

I went to the owners of the dog: they were out. I called the police "I'm not sending an officer to get bitten and have to take the day off - call the Council". "It's on private land, our wardens only pick up dogs on public land" - "I could chase it on to public land if you like" "that would be irresponsible as it could cause an accident. Could you tie it up in your garden?" So, I tied it to our fence (I'm very brave and have worked with animals in a previous job). As I was perparing to take Sue to A&E for a Tetanus shot our neighbour came home and get very aggressive because I had their dog tied to our fence! They didn't seem at all bothered that it had bitten Sue.

When I got back from A&E I called the police again. I got a different officer who took it very seriously: he'd attended an incident where a child had been bitten by a dog and lost half their face! The upshot of it was that the neighbour was informed by the police that their dog would be destroyed if it caused any more trouble. They put up a huge fence and we were never troubled again.

My advice would be to chase the dog off your land. If it is then on public land call the council and ask for the dog warden.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post

DTS Dave XXX XXX
    There are a number dog deterrants(legal) but how well they work is another matter

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

1. Sadly, the law doesn't do much to provide what are called 'self-help' remedies in this situation.

2.Broken glass or razor wire on top of walls is not allowed. If someone injured themselves it could lead to a law suit.

Your best course is to familiarise yourself with the provisions of the Dangerous Dogs Act and keep notifying the police of every breach of the act. If the dog has ever acted in a way which makes you feel threatened matey has to have it muzzled and kept on a lead in built up areas. (I think.)
    1. There are many all legal

2. Broken glass is now illegal in uk, razor wire and spike are still legal and very popular

3. Not sure what a understanding of the dangerous dogs act would do. Ps it was updated in 1997 so you may want to provide a link to that

The dog is relatativly easy to deal with as long as you are clam and assertive. The owner is another story.

To long to go into here, but watch the Dog Whisperer Sky 3 6pm every night. Or search Cesar Millan / Dog Whisperer on You tube for program clips on dog problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    The dog is relatativly easy to deal with as long as you are clam and assertive.
    Im surprised BS hasnt picked this up yet

Thread Information