Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deflation

Re: Deflation

It'll all come right in the end.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Many people seem to have confused clichés with platitudes.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Many people seem to have confused clichés with platitudes.
    One man's cliché is another man's platitude. It's about finding what works for U, Barry, and going for it...

Commercial Operator

You know, like Better to light a candle than curse the darkness? Where you think: If I had a *ucking candle and matches I wouldn't be in the dark to start off with, would I
    You do realise that this one isn't actually intended to be taken literally? The 'obviousness' (is there such a word?) of your retort is pretty much the whole point of the saying.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    You do realise that this one isn't actually intended to be taken literally? The 'obviousness' (is there such a word?) of your retort is pretty much the whole point of the saying.
    I think you are wrong. I think that the phrase as it is used by the people who use it is intended to make some sort of statement advocating 'empowerment' or similar. I don't object to that usage, nor to the idea behind it - don't just moan, do something positive.

I'm pointing to the fact that personally, because I have a cussed and bloody-minded character, the use of such phrases makes me grit my teeth.

Like "You can live your dreams if you try hard enough!" Cobblers. Many people fail having tried much harder than some who succeeded just because that's the way the cookie crumbled. More accurate would be 'If you're talented and lucky, you will succeed whether you try hard or not', but no-one wants to hear that.

because I have a cussed and bloody-minded character
    No What a shocker!

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    No What a shocker!

Takes one to know one

Commercial Operator

I think you are wrong. I think that the phrase as it is used by the people who use it is intended to make some sort of statement advocating 'empowerment' or similar. I don't object to that usage, nor to the idea behind it - don't just moan, do something positive.
    Yes - exactly. And while virtually everyone will light the candle, there's a whole catalogue of situations you see people in where there's a perfectly easy, obvious, sometimes effortless solution, and they don't take it - for any number of daft reasons. Hence the saying.

I'm pointing to the fact that personally, because I have a cussed and bloody-minded character, the use of such phrases makes me grit my teeth.
    I don't envy you your dental bills

Like "You can live your dreams if you try hard enough!" Cobblers. Many people fail having tried much harder than some who succeeded just because that's the way the cookie crumbled.
    There's always exceptions, in both directions - but I think this holds true in a huge number of cases, yes. We could start qualifying the saying:

"You can live your dreams if you try hard enough for long enough, keep yourself open to opportunities, were born in the right country, and you don't get run over one day on your way to the bank" - I dunno - it loses a little punch. I prefer a touch of exaggeration - so long as the gist is helpful.

More accurate would be 'If you're talented and lucky, you will succeed whether you try hard or not', but no-one wants to hear that.
    Make that incredibly lucky... that route doesn't work for many, and it often doesn't last...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    {snip stuff}
    Yes, all good points. This is a subjective feeling I have, rather than something which I am advocating for all.

I do hate the 'you can be anything if you try hard enough' because it simply isn't true, yet many children grow up thinking that whatever they want to achieve is there for the taking.

We are seeing the consequences of this in the audition tapes for X factor and so forth, where people who have as much chance of becoming successful entertainers as I have of becoming a glamour model are persuaded to show their excruciating ineptitude for the amusement of the mob (rather as christians were sacrificed to lions for the amusement of the Roman mob).

It might be OK to reassure children with fairy stories and white lies but when it gets to the stage when young people are making 'life decisions', realism and an appreciation of risks and rewards is required.

Thread Information