Thread: Biometrics needed to buy a handbag..

Biometrics needed to buy a handbag..

well not quite.. but to utilise the new shopping facilities in terminal one at Heathrow passengers are asked to provide biometrics.. at least I THINK that's what this email means

Dear Customer

The British Airports Authority (BAA) has introduced a new procedure at London Heathrow Terminal 1 that applies to all customers transferring onto any UK domestic flight. They have introduced a common departure lounge that allows International and UK domestic customers to use the same superior retail, leisure and dining facilities airside in Terminal 1.

To comply with Border and Immigration and airport security regulations customers transferring onto any UK domestic flight will be asked at the entrance to the departure lounge to provide biometric information, consisting of electronic fingerprinting and a facial digital photograph.

Please log on to ba.com and look at latest flight news for full details of the new procedure.

British Airways

-------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTES

BIOMETRICS REQUIRED FOR T1 CUSTOMERS TRANSFERING ONTO ANY UK DOMESTIC FLIGHT

Customers commencing their domestic journey at London Heathrow Terminal 1 will continue to proceed through the usual route.

Who is affected?
    All customers transferring through London Heathrow Terminal 1 onto a UK domestic flight with any airline.

What will customers have to do?
    In the transfer area, all customers connecting onto a UK domestic flight will be directed to follow the international route. At the entrance to the departure lounge these customers will be asked to provide their biometric information, which will consist of the reading of 4 fingerprints and the taking of a photo.

What happens next?
    The customers then proceed to the main terminal departure lounge where they can take advantage of most of the retail, leisure and restaurant facilities usually reserved only for those travelling internationally.

What happens at boarding?
    As the customers proceed to board their flight in the domestic area, they will be asked to verify their biometrics at the point of entry. After this point, only domestic customers will be mixing together. Verification requires the passengers to present their boarding card and represent their fingers to allow the guard to ensure that it is the same customers presented at biometric capture.

What happens if a passenger refuses to have their biometric captured?
    If a passenger refuses to have their biometric captured, they will be required to land themselves through the international channel, proceed through Terminal 1 up to the departures level where they will rejoin the departures process as a direct departing customer. From here they will proceed to the domestic departure lounge.

Timescales?
    01 Feb to 26 March 2008

Airlines involved?
    All airlines with UK domestic departures
    I have no problem with giving this info.. I've nothing to hide.. but what are your views on this?

Re: Biometrics needed to buy a handbag..

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I have no problem with giving this info.. I've nothing to hide.. but what are your views on this?
    I'm sure it must depend on what BAA does with the fingerprints and 'photos once you've departed. If they're destroyed fine but I would have serious issues if they're kept in a BAA database or worse; handed over to customs or the police.

You may not have anything to hide and I'm sure you're very likely an honest person but like most of us you'll close your curtains at night and snib the bathroom door if your in there, simply because you value your privacy.

Why do they need the biometrics? Surely a digital photo is sufficient?

I used to travel throught Gatwick Terminal 2 on a fortnightly basis, and as the domestic and international flights there go from the same terminal, international travellers used to have to show their passports whilst domestic travellers had to have their picture taken & a bar code sticker attached to your boarding pass. Allegedly all the photos were destroyed after 24 hrs - anyway they used to check the bar code sticker at the gate before you boarded the plane, and this seemed to work ok. However I don't see any reason to require the fingerprinting?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I've nothing to hide.
    Yes, but one day you'll wake up and find that literally, you have nothing LEFT to hide an It all ends in room 101

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Yes, but one day you'll wake up and find that literally, you have nothing LEFT to hide an It all ends in room 101
    what ? a comedy chat show hosted by Paul Merton? .. oh you mean the Original Room 101.. the one with the cages .. and the rats?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

what ? a comedy chat show hosted by Paul Merton? .. oh you mean the Original Room 101.. the one with the cages .. and the rats?
    in your case it will be a wine tasting upper class social event with nary a computer in sight

Thread Information